Frozen Mice/rats for snakes...

Hessian

I have been purchasing frozen rats & mice for our snakes at Merkle Wildlife sanctuary and....

The key supplier (that is found at Petco & Petsmart)...sells frozen entres that have been experimented on. It was truly gruesome when I cut open the bag and thawed the critters: Holes cut in their sides, organs hanging out, and a vile smell.

Anyone have any sound suggestions where I can purchase clean frozen rats/mice or have a similar experience as I just had? I really hope I did not injure our snakes with that experience.

Anyone have a live capture trap that would not mind dropping off live specimens???

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
Hessian said:
I have been purchasing frozen rats & mice for our snakes at Merkle Wildlife sanctuary and....

The key supplier (that is found at Petco & Petsmart)...sells frozen entres that have been experimented on. It was truly gruesome when I cut open the bag and thawed the critters: Holes cut in their sides, organs hanging out, and a vile smell.

Anyone have any sound suggestions where I can purchase clean frozen rats/mice or have a similar experience as I just had? I really hope I did not injure our snakes with that experience.

Anyone have a live capture trap that would not mind dropping off live specimens???

Just drive to the ATL and you can obtain FRESH rodents!!!
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_rats_chinese_restaurant.htm

Severa

Common sense ain't common
I remember when I worked at a pet store years ago, we'd feed our reptiles live rats/mice. Half the fun was watching the chase. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A vile smell from dead rodents. Who knew?

:lol:

Close your eyes, animal nutties:

Hessian, I'd be curious what the cost difference is between frozen rodents and fresh (live) ones. Maybe you could just buy live mousies at Petco and feed them to your snake?

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
vraiblonde said:
A vile smell from dead rodents. Who knew?

:lol:

Close your eyes, animal nutties:

Hessian, I'd be curious what the cost difference is between frozen rodents and fresh (live) ones. Maybe you could just buy live mousies at Petco and feed them to your snake?

Actually, live mice can injure or even kill the snake. Caught mice carry diseases. For adult mice, the cost difference is about .30 a mouse.

I buy my frozen rats and mice from Petco and haven't had a problem. Locally, I couldn't tell you who else sells them. If you want quantity and a very good price, http://www.rodentpro.com I know a local breeder that uses them for his boa's and swears by them. Haven't seen a bad review anywhere on them either and that includes kingsnake.com

Speaking of which, I need to go see if the rat in my microwave is thawed yet. Almost forgot about that...

M

Mousebaby

Corner Critters in Leonardtown sells frozen ones. But you need to call ahead to make sure they have some. Its from their own stock, so no experiments. Their number is 301-475-5384. Good Luck! :howdy:

Hessian

Thank you...

You have given me some very solid leads to pursue.
if I stock up (ie-50+ mise/rats)...is there a limit of how long they should remain frozen? We only go through 7-8 mice/rats per month.

I really appreciate the advice!
Hessian

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Cowgirl said:
Hessian, the All Maryland Reptile Show is held almost every month in Havre De Grace...you can go and stock up on frozen food. They usually have really good suppliers there, and a ton of cool herps. :yay:

YOu ever go there..I want a baby tortoise...if I go I would buy too many things :ohwell:

Roommate of mine in college had a brother who raised snakes. He raised his own mice and rats as food for them. He had an albino reticualted python. It got out of the cage. He found it 2 weeks later when he went down to feed the mice and it dropped down out of the ceiling (unfinished basement), wrapped around his head and bit him on the arm. Another brother had to come and pull the snake off him.

Cowgirl

Pasofever said:
YOu ever go there..I want a baby tortoise...if I go I would buy too many things :ohwell:

I'll let you know if I go. November is probably the earliest I'd get there. They don't have one in Sept, and I'm out of town for October's show.

yelland

I've also used rodentpro.com, they're pretty good although those shipping charges kill ya (still works out to less per feeding than any other store, tho). A few of the mice were a little eviscerated, as it were, but it wasn't so bad. Depending on the age of the mouse their skin can tear when you're thawing, too, another thing I've learned the hard way...