Epidural Block

I

Inkpen

Sit on a table, nurse washes spot on back..can be chilly...and wet....
Doc comes in, feels upand down the spine..finds the "right" spot, inserts a tiny needle to numb the area..talks to you, tells you to relax and breathe...and then when you are numb, he inserts a longer needle into your back and in flows the numbing solution.
You will feel pressure, but no real pain...OK..some pain as first needle goes in... And then you lay down and begin to loose feeling in low back and legs...
taaa daaaa...all done.

SoMDGirl42

my mother and sister get them for back problems. All depends on who does them according to them. Both say they are pretty painful to get, but once the medicine kicks in, it is like a miracle drug for them. Usually takes about 2 weeks to get the full effect of the meds.

SoMDGirl42

Inkpen said:
Sit on a table, nurse washes spot on back..can be chilly...and wet....
Doc comes in, feels upand down the spine..finds the "right" spot, inserts a tiny needle to numb the area..talks to you, tells you to relax and breathe...and then when you are numb, he inserts a longer needle into your back and in flows the numbing solution.
You will feel pressure, but no real pain...OK..some pain as first needle goes in... And then you lay down and begin to loose feeling in low back and legs...
taaa daaaa...all done.
Now I'm confused because I read this to mean he/she was getting a block for pain management. Sounds like you are describing an epidural for labor. The block I'm referring to does not cause you to go numb.

Either way, some pain involved getting the shot to relieve pain

I

Inkpen

SoMDGirl42 said:
Now I'm confused because I read this to mean he/she was getting a block for pain management. Sounds like you are describing an epidural for labor. The block I'm referring to does not cause you to go numb.

I have had them for knee surgeries, back surgery, friend had it for bladder surgery..
Usually the route to take instead on knocking you out for surgery.

Also a block can be used to induce medecine to treat back pain.

Either way, a small needle is used to numb the area before the larger needle goes in.
Pain is from smaller needle...pressure from larger needle.

A lot better than a spinal block where they go inbetween the bones in the back.

jaie

So happy!
SoMDGirl42 said:

It's for my back. I have a bad disk.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
jaie said:
Dr Lee. Will I be in pain after wards?
I felt more sick to my stomach than anything. The pressure from the needle was weird. But I do remember icing my back and taking painkillers...and sleeping a lot. I just kind of felt "weird" afterwards. Also, a double cheeseburger really helped. :smile:

Good luck -- C_Jo and I both had them done. They helped him for a short time. Didn't help me, but I've heard a lot of people have good results. And really, if they offer you Xanax, take it!! And make sure you have a driver.

Piece o' cake. :huggy:

jaie

So happy!
K_Jo said:
I felt more sick to my stomach than anything. The pressure from the needle was weird. But I do remember icing my back and taking painkillers...and sleeping a lot. I just kind of felt "weird" afterwards. Also, a double cheeseburger really helped. :smile:

Good luck -- C_Jo and I both had them done. They helped him for a short time. Didn't help me, but I've heard a lot of people have good results. And really, if they offer you Xanax, take it!! And make sure you have a driver.

Ok. Thanks. Oz is driving me so thats covered and they already have me set up for another one on the 30th so well see how it goes. Thanks for the input. guys.

warneckutz

Chasey_Lane said:
Oh really, is that why I rec'd green? :lmao:

Epidural Block 08-15-2007 12:09 PM I'm hitting you with RED for this comment, because... - The BackAssWards Bandit

Well, they are BackAssWards...

M

Mousebaby

jaie said:
Ok. Thanks. Oz is driving me so thats covered and they already have me set up for another one on the 30th so well see how it goes. Thanks for the input. guys.

If I'm not mistaken I had Dr. Lee when I had my daughter. Are you getting it done at Calvert? If so he is the one that did me and he was excellent! He told me to bend like cooked shrimp and take deep breath. I did and it was over before I knew it. I pick something in the room to stare at and concentrate as hard as I can and I never feel a thing! Good Luck! :huggy:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I thought these were two different things -- an epidural and a spinal block. :confused: I had a spinal block when I had DQ (c-section). Difference (according to my doc) is that an epidural stays in; a spinal block is done (with the two needles) and nothing remains in your back once they the jack you up with the meds. :shrug:

jaie

So happy!
crabcake said:
I thought these were two different things -- an epidural and a spinal block. :confused: I had a spinal block when I had DQ (c-section). Difference (according to my doc) is that an epidural stays in; a spinal block is done (with the two needles) and nothing remains in your back once they the jack you up with the meds. :shrug:
It's different than the epidural that thay give you when your in labor, but I'm not sure about the spinal block. I just know my Dr called it a Epidural block. I think they numb you like they do in labor and put a big needle in your back in the bad spot.

J

julz20684

K_Jo said:

Hold the Xanax under your tongue instead of swallowing - instant relief.