Photography Contest

Terps

I just found out about this photography contest that 1800flowers.com is sponsoring, and was wondering if anyone in here was planning on entering- I'm just getting into photography, but was thinking it might be fun to have a project to get me started. Has anyone entered this one before?

More details here: http://1800flowers.eprize.net/fieldsoftheworld/

What do you think?

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I think I may enter just for the hell of it, I am not to sure about the writing part though. :shrug:

Terps

Did you end up entering? I was looking the pics that have been entered, and it doesn't seem like anyone wrote more than a couple sentences, so I don't think it's really a big deal. I think I'm going to take some shots in my mom's garden this weekend if it's nice out- she has some beautiful big blue flowers- I don't even know what they are, but I love them!

Let me know what pic you end up entering- I'll go to the site and check it out.

Terps

That contest looks great as well- good luck! I can't wait to see your flower pics- I'm going to shoot a few this weekend, so when I decide which one to enter I'll post it here too!

Joe'smom

Anybody checked out the Marrick Homes photo contest? No big stakes but it might get you in their calender--plus I like people to critique my photos--sometimes it's just not so easy to get that perfect shot-and after all--criticism is a gift SOMETIMES!!!!

www.marricksnapshot.com

Terps

Thanks for the link- I hadn't heard about that- it seems like there are some cool contests out there. You're right Joe's mom- the critiquing is important I think- feedback can be really helpful. I was thinking about posting my flower pics, in here for that reason, but I'm just a beginner so I don't know if I'm ready for that yet :) Maybe in a bit, once I'm a little more confident with it.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Joe'smom said:
I'd like to enter, but I'm a little weary at this:
USE OF PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGES
Acceptance of monthly and grand prizes constitutes the transfer of ownership rights in the photographic image(s) to Marrick Homes.
So if I pick and enter one of my favorite photographs and it wins I can no longer sell it or put it on my website, etc. Most places, I think, would allow extended ownership, thus allowing the photographer to continue using/distributing the work as they wish.

Joe'smom

Terps said:
Thanks for the link- I hadn't heard about that- it seems like there are some cool contests out there. You're right Joe's mom- the critiquing is important I think- feedback can be really helpful. I was thinking about posting my flower pics, in here for that reason, but I'm just a beginner so I don't know if I'm ready for that yet :) Maybe in a bit, once I'm a little more confident with it.

Check out the somd.photo area here.....lots of folks posting anything they like.
I get lots of ideas on doing my shots from there....different perspectives, ideas. Not always direct input but helpful just the same. If you dont mind you stuff showing up occaisionally on the home page....give it a SHOT!~(pardon the pun!)

Joe'smom

hvp05 said:
I'd like to enter, but I'm a little weary at this:So if I pick and enter one of my favorite photographs and it wins I can no longer sell it or put it on my website, etc. Most places, I think, would allow extended ownership, thus allowing the photographer to continue using/distributing the work as they wish.

That's fantastic that your that talented to be able to sell your craft. I have tried but haven't been sucessful (at least not yet) I am working on "cafe press" to see what I can come up with. I really haven't been that hung up on a photo that I wouldn't sign the rights to it---considering they are a huge realtor--the concept of them putting your work out there and you being able to say---yeah I did that! would be enough for me,,,,,I realize most don't feel the same in that respect but sometimes self satisfaction is enough reward---money is not always my personal goal.