Methanol

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
desertrat said:
How do you know if there is methanol/ethanol in the gas you are buying? Does it have to state it at the pump?
They are supposed to post it on the pumps but the only one I see doing that is BJ's.

Dutch6 said:
They are supposed to post it on the pumps but the only one I see doing that is BJ's.
That is supposed to be the law, I thought, but I've heard everything from it can't be sold in MD to it must be sold in MD.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
desertrat said:
That is supposed to be the law, I thought, but I've heard everything from it can't be sold in MD to it must be sold in MD.
You can believe it's being sold all over.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
desertrat said:
Reason I brought it up is my manual says not to use it in my bike. Ethanol is ok up to a certain percentage, but NO methanol.
I think the most of it here is ethanol but I can't be sure.

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
desertrat said:
Reason I brought it up is my manual says not to use it in my bike. Ethanol is ok up to a certain percentage, but NO methanol.
You don't have to worry about getting any methanol. Methanol is a type of racing fuel, AKA Alcohol. Which is made from pig poop and Ethanol is made from corn. AKA Moonshine. Which hasn't made it to this area yet, it's more popular on the west coast and in areas that have air pollution problems, as in cities. To my knowledge the nearest place to get any E85 is Oxon Hill and yes it is always clearly marked as E85, which is 85% Ethanol and 15% gas.
I know with Methanol a motor will burn twice the amount of Methanol as gas.
Example
A race car will do 20 laps on 5 gallons of gas but if the same car is running Methanol it uses 10 gallons in 20 laps.

I can't see how Ethanol would be any different with MPG there both alcohol.

gumbo said:
You don't have to worry about getting any methanol. Methanol is a type of racing fuel, AKA Alcohol. Which is made from pig poop and Ethanol is made from corn. AKA Moonshine. Which hasn't made it to this area yet, it's more popular on the west coast and in areas that have air pollution problems, as in cities. To my knowledge the nearest place to get any E85 is Oxon Hill and yes it is always clearly marked as E85, which is 85% Ethanol and 15% gas.
I know with Methanol a motor will burn twice the amount of Methanol as gas.
Example
A race car will do 20 laps on 5 gallons of gas but if the same car is running Methanol it uses 10 gallons in 20 laps.

I can't see how Ethanol would be any different with MPG there both alcohol.
Good to know. :yay:
Both alcohol, but different chemical formulas. I learned that methanol will corrode the coating and then the aluminum in the carbs or fuel injectors and manifold so I guess they won't be putting it in gas for the public.

willie

desertrat said:
Good to know. :yay:
Both alcohol, but different chemical formulas. I learned that methanol will corrode the coating and then the aluminum in the carbs or fuel injectors and manifold so I guess they won't be putting it in gas for the public.
Ethanol will do the same destruction as Methanol. If the engine and everything in contact with the alcohol isn't designed for it, you got trouble. If you put a vehicle in storage that has even a moderate mix of alcohol it will pool water and be a disaster when it's fired up, if it will fire up. As Gumbo said, the MPG with alcohol is ferocious. In a carbed engine, the main jets size has to be nearly doubled or you will cook the pistons. It is very sad to pull the heads on a fresh 327 and be able to see the oil pan. :dead:
We are going down the wrong road with alcohol.

willie said:
Ethanol will do the same destruction as Methanol. If the engine and everything in contact with the alcohol isn't designed for it, you got trouble. If you put a vehicle in storage that has even a moderate mix of alcohol it will pool water and be a disaster when it's fired up, if it will fire up. As Gumbo said, the MPG with alcohol is ferocious. In a carbed engine, the main jets size has to be nearly doubled or you will cook the pistons. It is very sad to pull the heads on a fresh 327 and be able to see the oil pan. :dead:

Methanol:
One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminium. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminium from corrosion:

The resulting methoxide salts are soluble in methanol, resulting in clean aluminum surface, which is readily oxidised by some dissolved oxygen. Also the methanol can act as an oxidizer:

This reciprocal process effectively fuels corrosion until either the metal is eaten away or the concentration of CH3OH is negligible.
Ethanol:
Fuels with more than 10% ethanol are not compatible with fuel system components.
Examples of extreme corrosion of ferrous components and internal separation of portions of rubber fuel tanks have been observed in some vehicles using ethanol fuels.
Formation of salt deposits, jelly-like deposits on fuel strainer screens
Can negatively affect electric fuel pumps by increasing internal wear and undesirable spark generation. :yikes:
Decreases fuel-economy by 15-30%; this can be avoided using certain modifications that would, however, render the engine inoperable on regular petrol without the addition of an adjustable ECU.

willie said:
An alcohol fire is almost invisible.
Ricky Bobby: [running around on the track in his underwear] Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! AAAAAHHH! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!
Cal Naughton, Jr.: Please don't let the invisible fire burn my friend!
:killingme

R

RadioPatrol

willie said:

Acetone .............

Vince

desertrat said:
Methanol:
One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminium. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminium from corrosion:

The resulting methoxide salts are soluble in methanol, resulting in clean aluminum surface, which is readily oxidised by some dissolved oxygen. Also the methanol can act as an oxidizer:

This reciprocal process effectively fuels corrosion until either the metal is eaten away or the concentration of CH3OH is negligible.
Ethanol:
Fuels with more than 10% ethanol are not compatible with fuel system components.
Examples of extreme corrosion of ferrous components and internal separation of portions of rubber fuel tanks have been observed in some vehicles using ethanol fuels.
Formation of salt deposits, jelly-like deposits on fuel strainer screens
Can negatively affect electric fuel pumps by increasing internal wear and undesirable spark generation. :yikes:
Decreases fuel-economy by 15-30%; this can be avoided using certain modifications that would, however, render the engine inoperable on regular petrol without the addition of an adjustable ECU.
So has anyone seen any of this crap in the area? :confused:

desertrat said:
That's why I asked originally. I've never seen a sticker stating they had a mixture. Where have you seen this?

I was in NY and NJ last weekend. All the pumps are clearly labeled "10% alcohol". Maybe the fuel here IS 10%, but the stations aren't mandated to display that fact?

GWguy said:
I was in NY and NJ last weekend. All the pumps are clearly labeled "10% alcohol". Maybe the fuel here IS 10%, but the stations aren't mandated to display that fact?
:shrug: What I'm trying to find out. I don't really care too much about ethanol. It's Methanol my manual says to stay away from. I guess that isn't widely distributed though.

desertrat said:
:shrug: What I'm trying to find out. I don't really care too much about ethanol. It's Methanol my manual says to stay away from. I guess that isn't widely distributed though.

Yeah, not sure either. I stopped at a Sunoco station locally one time and asked them if they had alcohol in their fuel, 'cause it wasn't labeled as such, and the attendant had absolutely no clue what I was talking about.