Roseola?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Anyone here have a child or have any experience with this? I think my little boy might have it. High fever for the past two days up to 104, now this morning once we got a doc appt. fever is gone but he has a rash all over his body and a little on his face.

SoMDGirl42

This is not a smarta$$ question, but does his face look like he's been slapped? If so, it could be fifths disease, my granddaughter just had it last week, and it's going around like crazy right now.

MMDad

Lem Putt
AK-74me said:
Anyone here have a child or have any experience with this? I think my little boy might have it. High fever for the past two days up to 104, now this morning once we got a doc appt. fever is gone but he has a rash all over his body and a little on his face.

My daughter had it on her 2nd b-day. 104 degree fever. Spent an evening in the ER, then the fever broke the next morning and she developed the rash.

According to our doctor, the only danger is the fever itself. Once it breaks, the disease is done. The rash doesn't itch, it just looks bad.

SoMDGirl42

now that I think about it, 104 is high for fifths disease, but it could also be scarlet fever. Any sore throat, vomiting, upset stomach?

AK-74me said:
Perfect timing, IMO. The doc should be able to diagnose based on the rash itself. :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
AK-74me said:

What does the rash look like? I ask because my youngest son had some sort of strange rash last summer. He woke up from nap at daycare with a fever and a rash. Fever broke and the rash got worse. Took him to the dr who thought it looked like chicken pox. I argued that because the bumps were small and more pimple like and I have chicken pox scars that are huge compared to what he had. After a week the rash started to recede and he went back to the doc for a check-up, not chicken pox but no real explanation either.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
SoMDGirl42 said:
This is not a smarta$$ question, but does his face look like he's been slapped? If so, it could be fifths disease, my granddaughter just had it last week, and it's going around like crazy right now.

No, and he has had that, does that mean he is immune now? He can be fine for hours and then when the fever starts coming back he becomes miserable and nothing can be done to make him feel better. Also I noticed that he is hardly peeing at all even though he is drinking pleanty of juice.

SoMDGirl42

AK-74me said:
No, and he has had that, does that mean he is immune now? He can be fine for hours and then when the fever starts coming back he becomes miserable and nothing can be done to make him feel better. Also I noticed that he is hardly peeing at all even though he is drinking pleanty of juice.
If he's had fifths disease, he should be immune.

Take away the juice and give him gatorade or pedilyte to hydrate him. Juice will sour in him stomach with a high temp.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
SoMDGirl42 said:
now that I think about it, 104 is high for fifths disease, but it could also be scarlet fever. Any sore throat, vomiting, upset stomach?

He has thrown up twice, once sat. and once sun. he is only 27 months so if is throat is sore he is not indicating it is. I ask and he says "no" but that dosen't make it defintely true.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
SoMDGirl42 said:
You can also alternate tylenol and motrin. Tylenol every 4 hours and motrin every 6 hours.

Yeah, that is what we had been doing and it worked good, the motrin more so than the tylenol. Like I said though I think the fever may be gone now though, he woke up in the middle of night soaked from sweat and no fever since then.

ETA- Who is the a-hole that would give red karma on this discussion..... eff off.

poster

one of mine had this - it's a "lace like" rash
on her it was kind of faint and creaped from the torso up
started in warm areas first
the rash can go on for a couple of weeks after the fever

suggestion to all: take good pictures of the rash
if it comes to be that you have to see an allergist
they'll appreciate the effort because the rash will be gone by the
time the appointment comes

did this when discovered mine had a food allergy, was very helpfull

Island_Chick

Mommy of 2
My 8 mth old son just got over this . He had high fever for 4-5 days, then the fever broke and the rash came . Doc told me the only thing you can do is let it run it's course .

Katt

Roseola is more likely than not. It comes on with an unexplained high fever for a few days, then once the fever breaks, the rash appears. Nothing to worry about. It'll run it's course in a few days the rash will fade away. Doesn't sound like anything else to me. As long as the child is acting fine, and feeling better, you're good.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
SoMDGirl42 said:
:coffee: :tap:

Update from doc?

How's the little one feeling?

Over two hour wait at the doctor's office.

He has Scarlet Fever and an ear infection on top of it.

Prescribed Amoxicilin

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Island_Chick said:
How is your sweetie this morning ? I hope he/she starts to feel better soon :flowers:

Long night, last night. Good thing I start night shift tonight and didn't mind staying up with him, he woke up about 0130 cried for an hour straight. Nothing would satisfy him until I put him in the car and took him for a ride around 0230. Got back home watched spider man until 0430 and was fine through the whole movie, surprisingly at 0430 when it was time for his medicine he took it without a fight. He fought us bad when we tried to give him his first dose yesterday evening. We finally went to sleep arounf 0500.

Went to his grandmother's this morning so I can sleep while his mother is at work. Hopefully he'll get some sleep today and the medicine will start to work. He is also starting to scratch really bad as the rash isn't improving. I'm off to bed.