Neophobia in kids

Lilypad

Fussy eaters....http://www.physorg.com/news107184312.html

I volunteered to watch my neighbor’s 2 preschoolers while she attended to her mother’s medical emergency. I didn't know what fussy eaters these 2 were :yikes: -she supplied a zip lock bag w/grated yellow cheese and 2 juice boxes. That was it.
Before their mother took off, she gave me a list of what they eat and don't eat-the list was long as to their dislikes and their list of likes consisted of 5 things. I started thinking to myself, hmmm yeah they are just like their mama-she is one particular, finicky eater herself.
Soooo, my question is-like mama (and/or daddy) so goes the kids?

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Kids today are so spoiled. My mom cooked dinner, never asked what we wanted, put it on the table and that was that. You dont like meatloaf, to damn bad. Starve. You dont eat dinner, you dont eat again till the next day. Now days kitchens are like restaurants, what would you like to eat honey, and how about you, oh something different, no problem. That might be fine for someone with nothing better to do than cook 17 meals a day. But your still making spoiled little mamby pambys. Eat whats on your plate and when you grow up and get your own plates, you can say what goes on them.

usagent

How's their health? I took my kids to the Doctor the other day and she said she'd be concerned with their low body weights but most of the kids she see's anymore are obese or border line obese. She said whatever were doing keep it up. Now my kids cant leave the table till they eat what I've given them but.....It's always healthy food. Now my kids friends don't know what a vegetable tastes like and wont eat @ our house twice.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
baileydog said:
My mom cooked dinner, never asked what we wanted, put it on the table and that was that.
Mine did too, but if I go down there with the boy she'll cook the little bugger anything he wants

W

WhoCares

usagent said:
How's their health? I took my kids to the Doctor the other day and she said she'd be concerned with their low body weights but most of the kids she see's anymore are obese or border line obese. She said whatever were doing keep it up. Now my kids cant leave the table till they eat what I've given them but.....It's always healthy food. Now my kids friends don't know what a vegetable tastes like and wont eat @ our house twice.

Some kids think vegatables are french fries, and chicken is chicken nuggets from McSlop.

dbquad1993

My kids had their friends over and asked if they could stay for dinner (10 and 6 y.o.). I told them what we were having - hummus and fresh pita, tabbouleh, and black olives. I was told what I said didn't sound like English so they weren't interested in staying - LOL!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
dbquad1993 said:
My kids had their friends over and asked if they could stay for dinner (10 and 6 y.o.). I told them what we were having - hummus and fresh pita, tabbouleh, and black olives. I was told what I said didn't sound like English so they weren't interested in staying - LOL!!
don't blame them :lol:

Toxick

Splat
baileydog said:
Kids today are so spoiled. My mom cooked dinner, never asked what we wanted, put it on the table and that was that. You dont like meatloaf, to damn bad. Starve. You dont eat dinner, you dont eat again till the next day.

Did you, by chance, have to walk to school when you were a kid? Through the sleet, rain and snow, and you were grateful for the education?

lil_daisy

I rode my bike without a helmet! :gasp:
My school didn't require a bus system. we walked and rode our bikes! Only on rainy/snowy days did the station wagons line the roads, eventhen we rode in the back of them without seatbelts!

Lilypad

usagent said:
Just returned the chillin to their mother. :faint: Long day!
The children appear healthy; they are pleasant, polite and seem "normal" for their age just weird eaters. I have a garden and fruit trees on my property, they weren't interested in any fresh veggies or fruit, they help me pick some and were curious but as to tasting or God forbid actually eating any-no way they told me-UCK!
I come from a similar type of family baileydog came from-you ate what was before you and if you didn’t, you did without.
When the cheese and juice box ran out they wanted to know what did I have to eat in the house. After we spent time looking through the pantry, the freezer and fridge, they said they would wait till their mother got home. Just seems weird to me. Parents and kids today. :confused:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Toxick said:
Did you, by chance, have to walk to school when you were a kid? Through the sleet, rain and snow, and you were grateful for the education?

I lived across the street from my elementary school in 5 th grade and OMG, they made me walk to school. I could of been killed crossing that street. Why was there no bus to pick me up. It was horrible I tell ya. :drama:

Lilypad said:
Fussy eaters....http://www.physorg.com/news107184312.html

I volunteered to watch my neighbor’s 2 preschoolers while she attended to her mother’s medical emergency. I didn't know what fussy eaters these 2 were :yikes: -she supplied a zip lock bag w/grated yellow cheese and 2 juice boxes. That was it.
Before their mother took off, she gave me a list of what they eat and don't eat-the list was long as to their dislikes and their list of likes consisted of 5 things. I started thinking to myself, hmmm yeah they are just like their mama-she is one particular, finicky eater herself.
Soooo, my question is-like mama (and/or daddy) so goes the kids?

You said mom is a finicky eater. She probably doesn't open up to try anything new and the kids notice that so they don't either. They could not like alot of stuff but more than likely it's picked up from the mom. Plus with he being picky she will probably only cook/make what she likes and thats all the kids are exposed too.

Vince

baileydog said:
Kids today are so spoiled. My mom cooked dinner, never asked what we wanted, put it on the table and that was that. You dont like meatloaf, to damn bad. Starve. You dont eat dinner, you dont eat again till the next day. Now days kitchens are like restaurants, what would you like to eat honey, and how about you, oh something different, no problem. That might be fine for someone with nothing better to do than cook 17 meals a day. But your still making spoiled little mamby pambys. Eat whats on your plate and when you grow up and get your own plates, you can say what goes on them.
:yeahthat: And I do the same with my son. If he doesn't like what I cook, how I cook it or what's on the table, he can wait until breakfast. But then that never happens with him. He eats just about everything. :lol:

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
My oldest eats pretty much anything, but her food cannot touch. She has an absolute fit if it touches and it wasn't her idea and on purpose!

My little one will eat almost anything, but must have ketchup or ranch dressing.

Neither is obese or fat by any stretch, because they are given healthy meals and are not allowed to just eat all day long. They can have a small snack in the early afternoon (but they are in school now - so they don't get that because we eat dinner by 5:30 usually) and one snack in the evening. Sure, they usually choose "junk food" for their snacks, but it's in moderation.

sockgirl77

Bucky Covington, A Different World Lyrics
Looking for Bucky Covington tabs and chords? Browse alphabet (above)

Artist: Covington Bucky
Song: A Different World
Album: Bucky Buy Bucky Covington Sheet Music
Buy Bucky Covington CDs

A Different World
Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside

Chorus
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
There was a sign over our stove when I was a kid.

You have two choices for dinner.
Take it or leave it!

:elaine:

poster

If I cook it they eat it, just like my parents made us.
I don't make them finish the plate, if they're not hungry they're not hungry.
But I do not let them replace meals with junk - if I make something they don't like then they can have a banana or an apple, I refuse to make a seperate meal for them.

Snacks at our house are fruit, cheese and crackers.

witchiepooh 364

seems to me the mom was actually making it easier on you to bring what they did eat...instead of you pulling your hair out trying to figure it out.....all kids are different..my son would eat anything when he was little whereas his sister liked chicken nuggets, kraft macaroni and cheese and french fries or instant mashed potatoes...i used my moms method...you had to try three good sized bites before you decided you didn't like it...after that if you didn't like it you didn't have to eat it...but she always had something we liked too...it is not that hard to throw in something that the fussy one likes too and it is better than going to bed hungry....

by the way how many of you pack school lunches? hehehehee i used to and this was years ago..always sandwich, juice chips and a cookie....guess which ones hit the school trash can? yep sandwhich! doritoes and a cookie for lunch.....a kids dream come true! (but of course she didn't tell me till years later hahahaha! joke was on me!)