Glass Fishtank Beads

watercolor

yeah yeah
Ok. This is what I have. A huge box full of them- given as a craft item...

Any ideas of something I can create with a 3, 6, 9, 12year old and 22 month old?

Searched online for crafts with "glass fish tank bead crafts" and "glass bead kid projects". Maybe I am not searching the right thing- as it is just coming up with jewelry ideas and or mosiac's. Jewelry is obviously a no go- as this is not beads to do such things with. Which I have no problem with mosaics.. just trying to find stuff that isnt going to entail going out and spending a fortune.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
watercolor said:
Ok. This is what I have. A huge box full of them- given as a craft item...

Any ideas of something I can create with a 3, 6, 9, 12year old and 22 month old?

Searched online for crafts with "glass fish tank bead crafts" and "glass bead kid projects". Maybe I am not searching the right thing- as it is just coming up with jewelry ideas and or mosiac's. Jewelry is obviously a no go- as this is not beads to do such things with. Which I have no problem with mosaics.. just trying to find stuff that isnt going to entail going out and spending a fortune.
Go to the dollar store and get small/medium size glass vases, pipe cleaners and foam paper/tissue paper. Have the kids make flowers. Put them in the vase, use the beads as the "water" to hold the flowers in the vase. Everyone gets on in their room as a decoration. :shrug: Best I can think of. :smile:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
My sister covered an old bowling ball with these flat-backed glass beads. She put them on with a hot glue gun, and turned the whole thing in to one of those cool flower garden accessories by putting it on a neat little gazing ball stand. It looked great.......until the hot sun loosened the glue and some of the beads started to fall off. :lol:

If you do this, I'd suggest that you use an epoxy type of glue instead of the hot glue gun.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Get some inexpensive wooden picture frames, the kind with the smooth surface, and glue the beads on. Put favorite pictures of the kids in them and you can keep them or give as gifts.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Alright, well assuming that they're the flat marbles, and clear, here's a project:

You need the marbles, and depending on their size (1/2" or 3/4") you need corresponding round magnets (strong, you can get them at Michael's). For 1/2" marbles, get 1/2" magnets. You will also need a clear craft glue, preferably silicon (not hot glue), but a regular craft glue would probably work too (must start clear and dry clear). A scrapbooking circle punch of a corresponding size (1/2" punch for 1/2" marble).

Get some pictures (magazines are good for this) that are small enough to fit on the magnet. Cut the picture out using the punch. Put a thin layer of glue on a magnet (you can use a toothpick to spread it around). Put the picture on the magnet, then dab a small amount of glue onto the middle of the picture. Place the marble on the picture, and press down. The glue will spread out to the edges, smoothing out the picture.

The end result will look like this.

The kids will have fun selecting pictures and smooshing out the glue. Perfect for hanging schoolwork on the fridge. :yay:

Geek

You can also make a garden stepping stone, have them put their hand prints in it, "Hollywood style" Then they can decorate the stones with the stones.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
watercolor said:
Any ideas of something I can create with a 3, 6, 9, 12year old and 22 month old?.

:lol: Recipe for disaster:
Take one each 3, 6, 9, 12 year old kid
add epoxy and glass beads.
turn your back for 30 seconds

:jameo:

poster

Nickel said:
Alright, well assuming that they're the flat marbles, and clear, here's a project:

You need the marbles, and depending on their size (1/2" or 3/4") you need corresponding round magnets (strong, you can get them at Michael's). For 1/2" marbles, get 1/2" magnets. You will also need a clear craft glue, preferably silicon (not hot glue), but a regular craft glue would probably work too (must start clear and dry clear). A scrapbooking circle punch of a corresponding size (1/2" punch for 1/2" marble).

Get some pictures (magazines are good for this) that are small enough to fit on the magnet. Cut the picture out using the punch. Put a thin layer of glue on a magnet (you can use a toothpick to spread it around). Put the picture on the magnet, then dab a small amount of glue onto the middle of the picture. Place the marble on the picture, and press down. The glue will spread out to the edges, smoothing out the picture.

The end result will look like this.

The kids will have fun selecting pictures and smooshing out the glue. Perfect for hanging schoolwork on the fridge. :yay:

VERY COOL! Never seen this before, would love these as gifts.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I put them on top of the dirt around my indoor potted plants. They look good in gardens too piled around the flowers. I love those things. I have them everywhere in my house. Flower pots, vases, even when I have a clear candle on the candle warmer, I drop some in there.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FancyBelle said:
I put them on top of the dirt around my indoor potted plants.

OOOOhhh, I like this idea. I have one pesky little feline that thinks it's hilarious to play in the dirt.