Sewing Machine Question

keekee

My sewing machine is making big loops on the underside of the fabric (it's the thread from the bobbin). The top stitch looks fine, but with the big loops on the back, you can pull the seam loose after you sew it. I'm sure something has come loose, but don't know what.

Any ideas what might need tightening? TIA.

keekee

Just Me said:
Check the tension on the bobbin

Where abouts would I check that? :confused:

Is that one of the big dials on the front of the machine?

I don't sew very often, just mend things & sometimes make pillows or small, easy projects. Excuse my sewing machine ignorance...

Just Me

Take the bobbin out, hold the string while lettting the bobbin dangle, lightly jerk your hand, the bobbin should allow some string to come out and fall some after doing so. If the bobbin falls to the ground , tighten the screw on the side of it.

keekee

Just Me said:
Take the bobbin out, hold the string while lettting the bobbin dangle, lightly jerk your hand, the bobbin should allow some string to come out and fall some after doing so. If the bobbin falls to the ground , tighten the screw on the side of it.

I'll try that. Thank you! :huggy:

dbquad1993

If that doesn't work you actually may need a new bobbin holder (that's what happened with mine). I live in Calvert and got mine at the Calvert Sewing shop by Ken Mar liquors. Only cost about $15. Better than a new machine!! Good luck! :flowers:

Pete

Repete
designerxboi said:
I put the bobbin in backwards one time and it did that.
:yeahthat:Or the thread is not routed around the bobbin cover right.

Uh I mean..........IF I had any clue about operating a sewing machine I would think that could cause it.........If I even knew what a bobbin is....or a bobbin cover for that matter........yea thats it. :yay:

keekee

Pete said:

Uh I mean..........IF I had any clue about operating a sewing machine I would think that could cause it.........If I even knew what a bobbin is....or a bobbin cover for that matter........yea thats it. :yay:

You know I almost posted this question in the "Ladies Room", but I thought it might be sexist of me to assume women know more about sewing machines than men do.

I'm sure you only sew very manly items - car seat covers & such. :lmao:

leonardtowngal

The top tension is too loose and not allowing the bottom thread to "catch" properly...tighten up the tension a little at a time until the tension is correct...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
keekee said:
You know I almost posted this question in the "Ladies Room", but I thought it might be sexist of me to assume women know more about sewing machines than men do.

I'm sure you only sew very manly items - car seat covers & such. :lmao:

It's only because it's a piece of machinery that he is so knowledgeable about the mechanics behind a sewing machine.

And he can make a mean pair of curtains. :cool:

LordStanley

I know nothing
nachomama said:
It's only because it's a piece of machinery that he is so knowledgeable about the mechanics behind a sewing machine.

And he can make a mean pair of curtains. :cool:

I heard he was good with meat curtains too :whistle:

lamx

If you haven't figured this out yet, here are a few ideas:

- Loops on the underside of the fabric are almost always caused by a problem with the UPPER thread.

- If you don't sew regularly, pull out the manual and rethread the machine exactly as the manual dictates, not skipping any of the thread guides.

- When you thread the machine, have the presser foot in the up position. That will open the tension disks and allow the thread to seat properly between them.

- Again with the manual - remove the bobbin case and probably the needleplate and clean out any packed-down lint that could be interfering with thread travel.

If you don't have the instruction manual, tell us the make and model of your machine and I might know where to download the manual.

Ed

Joyce

Everyone has given you great suggestions. However, there is one I don't see and it is this. Make sure you have the correct needle in your machine. I worked in a clothing mfg. place one time. We did inventory and I was given some sewing machine needles. At that time I did not know it was very important that you have the correct needle in your machine. I thought you could just stick any ole needle in there. I was getting loops like you are having. :eek:/

greyhound

Pete said:

Pete is correct. Take the bobbin out, rethread and see if that solves the problem.

Joyce

Joyce said:
Everyone has given you great suggestions. However, there is one I don't see and it is this. Make sure you have the correct needle in your machine. I worked in a clothing mfg. place one time. We did inventory and I was given some sewing machine needles. At that time I did not know it was very important that you have the correct needle in your machine. I thought you could just stick any ole needle in there. I was getting loops like you are having. :eek:/

I just re-read this and I apologize for making it sound like this WAS the problem. What I was trying to say is that each and every suggestion made here is a good one and could be the problem in of itself. Or it could be a combination of several or all these suggestions. I had checked my tensions, rethreaded both top and bottom threads, making sure the thread was going thru the proper places it should be. After doing that and "correcting" all the tensions I gave up and took it to a repair shop and they are the ones that told me I had the wrong needle and it was important to make sure you had the correct needle for each brand of machine. They also said that you had to check your needle after each use to make sure it was not bent and had a sharp point. I was really surprised when they told me about the needle. However, after thinking about it, it made sense. After all your car is not going to run better if you put any new spark plug in it. You have to put the one that is made for it.

Again, if I did offend anyone I apologize as I did not mean to. I just hit the "submit reply" before re-reading the post.