Opinion (Best Myrtle Beach route)

OldHillcrestGuy

Im Myrtle Beach bound in a couple of weeks, I know alot of forumies go their, just wondering reach way you all go. I've been several times in the past 5 years and always just take 95 to Route 38 to 501 and into the beach.
I have considered taking 40 to Wilmington then to 17, any opinions as to which way is fastest or your favorite way. :shrug:
We actually stay right in Myrtle Beach 21st and Ocean Blvd. in the area of the Convention Center, just a few blocks up from where 501 comes into MB.

dt5255

I usually take 95 to 501 then take 22. it brings you out on 17 between north and south myrtle beach. although we came home 501 to 38 a couple weeks age. Didn't really see much difference in the time.

OldHillcrestGuy

dt5255 said:
I usually take 95 to 501 then take 22. it brings you out on 17 between north and south myrtle beach. although we came home 501 to 38 a couple weeks age. Didn't really see much difference in the time.

Ive taken both those way into Myrtle and didnot see much of a difference, 22 is one boring road with lots of police. I followed a unmarked trooper who came off 501 and merged right in beside me on 22, was behind him for what seemed like 20 miles doing the speed limit, I had a couple of cars behind me in the slow lane he was in the fast lane, along came a motorcyle in the fast lane came around in front of me in the slow lane and passed the unmarked car as soon as he went pass him and realized it was a cop he pulled over before the cop even had time to turn his lights on.

Nupe2

rescueman said:
take 95 to 40e take 40e to 140s 140s to 17.i came that way like 1 1/2 weeks ago 6 hrs i was home.

We took that route last week and with some backups on 95 outside of Richmond (accident) and in a couple of spots in NC it took about 6.5 hours from Charlotte Hall. The trip back took about 6 hours with no major delays.

OldHillcrestGuy

Nupe2 said:
We took that route last week and with some backups on 95 outside of Richmond (accident) and in a couple of spots in NC it took about 6.5 hours from Charlotte Hall. The trip back took about 6 hours with no major delays.

Did you take Gumpy's way. I'll be leaving from Charlotte Hall also and on a Wednesday coming back on Monday. Unfortnately I'll be hitting Richmond during the morning rush hour, I have come through there before at rush hour both morning and evening with very little delays in the past. Were they doing any road construction on 95 where they closed off some lanes. Thats always a kick in the a## flying along then hit backup with lanes closed and they tell you far enough in advance so that you can get over, but you have the a##holes that wait till the last minute to get over and then try to squeeze in, thats what causes the backups. If they would just merge over to whatever lane is going to be open 2-3 miles back then everyone could keep cruising through the work areas.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
gumby said:
95S to 74E to 410S to 701 into Myrtle Beach. Painless.
:yeahthat: BUT 701 to 9E to 17S into N. Myrtle. We have a place in Windy Hill.
OR if you are staying in Myrtle Beach take 701 to 9 to 31S to 501.

All these roads are dual lanes except for portions of 410. (Chadbourn is a sad little town.)

Last edited:

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
OldHillcrestGuy said:
I was looking at that way also on the map, is it dual highway or single lane?

701 is single lane. Be careful throught Chadbourn and Tabor City. Speed traps. After that it's 55mph zone all the way to 501 and traffic is always light. :yay:

Nupe2

OldHillcrestGuy said:
Did you take Gumpy's way. I'll be leaving from Charlotte Hall also and on a Wednesday coming back on Monday. Unfortnately I'll be hitting Richmond during the morning rush hour, I have come through there before at rush hour both morning and evening with very little delays in the past. Were they doing any road construction on 95 where they closed off some lanes. Thats always a kick in the a## flying along then hit backup with lanes closed and they tell you far enough in advance so that you can get over, but you have the a##holes that wait till the last minute to get over and then try to squeeze in, thats what causes the backups. If they would just merge over to whatever lane is going to be open 2-3 miles back then everyone could keep cruising through the work areas.

Nope. I took rescueman's way. We stay in Ocean Isle, NC and turn off of rte. 17. Staying on 17 is the most direct route but may take a little longer than some of the other routes depending on your final destination.