Easy, Healthy Kid Snacks

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
For the classroom. Big pigs class occasionally has snack time and I'd like to send something in. I'd like it to be something N and I can make together. I'm looking for something fun and healthy other than the typical fruit, pretzels, etc. as I'm sure that gets boring. There is a peanut allergy in the class.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
For the classroom. Big pigs class occasionally has snack time and I'd like to send something in. I'd like it to be something N and I can make together. I'm looking for something fun and healthy other than the typical fruit, pretzels, etc. as I'm sure that gets boring. There is a peanut allergy in the class.

Cheese and crackers. Apples and caramel dip.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I used to buy those packages of muffin mixes (strawberry, blueberry, etc). I think you only add milk to them. Then I'd use the mini muffin pan. They were always a big hit. You could either put 3 or 4 muffins in a ziplock bag and give each child on or throw them in a container and have the teacher dole them out.

They were easy enough for my kids to make with me when they were pre-k/k/1st grade, wasn't a lot of mess involved, and was quick and easy.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
buy some pretzels, chex mix, chocolate, peanuts etc let the kids mix it all up in class and make their own snack mix... for the kid with peanut allergies leave them out of his mix then let them put in their own baggies.

meangirl

Nice lady!
pixiegirl said:

I don't know where you are at but in Charles county you are no longer allowed to make anything for the class. Everything must be store bought and labeled. :jameo:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
pixiegirl said:

:confused: I've heard this dozen times now. I wonder if "No-Peanuts" is now a school rule?

Anyhow here's my vote...

:yahoo:MINI-PIZZAS!! :yahoo:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
meangirl said:
I don't know where you are at but in Charles county you are no longer allowed to make anything for the class. Everything must be store bought and labeled. :jameo:
Well that's dumb.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
RoseRed said:
Cheese and crackers. Apples and caramel dip.
Well, aren't you just the insensitive one?

Wheat allergies.
Lactose intolerance.
Diabetic.

You just going to make those kids watch while the other kids enjoy their snack?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:

Wheat allergies.
Lactose intolerance.
Diabetic.

Perhaps she could just bring in some Lean Cuisines? :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:

Wheat allergies.
Lactose intolerance.
Diabetic.

May I have my flogging now please. :drama:

:lmao:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
meangirl said:

That wasn't specified at all but I will ask the teacher. I do know that they're still allowed to bring in cupcakes or cookies for b-days with teacher approval. I don't see how this would be any different.

A little off topic but not really. You know what I'm really disappointed with is the lack of parental involvement. When I was at open house we brought with us the school supplies that were on his list. There was a note on the chalk board that said the classroom was also in need of supplies, there were post-it notes below with various items such as napkins, paper towels, etc. and that if you wanted to contribute to take a post-it note of the item you'd like to bring. ONE other parent took a post it note. ONE out of a class of 22 students. I took 3 off before we left; paper towels, napkins and hand sanitizer. Now, good Lord, if I can afford the whole $15 I spent on those supplies on one income, with two kids than I'm sure other parents could have picked up at least ONE $2 item. Anyway, after what I saw there I'm fairly certain that there won't be much parental involvement in bringing in snacks for the class either. :rolleyes: I'd like the kids to really enjoy their snack.

lovinmaryland

pixiegirl said:
Make a fruit dip w/ sour cream, milk, and instant vanilla pudding mix(or any other flavor you prefer) strawberries, pineapple, apples, and bananas are perfect for dipping.

lovinmaryland

pixiegirl said:
That wasn't specified at all but I will ask the teacher. I do know that they're still allowed to bring in cupcakes or cookies for b-days with teacher approval. I don't see how this would be any different.

A little off topic but not really. You know what I'm really disappointed with is the lack of parental involvement. When I was at open house we brought with us the school supplies that were on his list. There was a note on the chalk board that said the classroom was also in need of supplies, there were post-it notes below with various items such as napkins, paper towels, etc. and that if you wanted to contribute to take a post-it note of the item you'd like to bring. ONE other parent took a post it note. ONE out of a class of 22 students. I took 3 off before we left; paper towels, napkins and hand sanitizer. Now, good Lord, if I can afford the whole $15 I spent on those supplies on one income, with two kids than I'm sure other parents could have picked up at least ONE $2 item. Anyway, after what I saw there I'm fairly certain that there won't be much parental involvement in bringing in snacks for the class either. :rolleyes: I'd like the kids to really enjoy their snack.
After dealing w/ shopping for school supplies and new school clothes I hate having to run back out for supplies for each of the kids classrooms. I just give each of my boys a $10 walmart gift card in an envelope addressed to their teacher w/ a note to use this for anything they need in the classroom. :yay: