Opinions on teacher

W

Warrant guru

I am looking for opinions on Ms Brooks, 1st grade teacher at Patuxent Elem in Lusby. My son has her this year and I would like to know what other parents think of her that have kids who were in her class before. She seems really nice at the "meet and greet" on Monday. My son's kindergarten teacher was really strict and told us parents that "school was not about having fun". I am hoping that Ms Brooks has a better attitude towards school.

jenbengen

Watch it
Warrant guru said:
I am looking for opinions on Ms Brooks, 1st grade teacher at Patuxent Elem in Lusby. My son has her this year and I would like to know what other parents think of her that have kids who were in her class before. She seems really nice at the "meet and greet" on Monday. My son's kindergarten teacher was really strict and told us parents that "school was not about having fun". I am hoping that Ms Brooks has a better attitude towards school.

I'm not sure that posting about her in the forum is the best way to get info you want. You could talk personally with the teacher or even ask parents at the school directly.

jetmonkey

Warrant guru said:
Getting them from anonymous morons on an internet forum is probably a bad idea.

W

Warrant guru

I have talked with the teacher alittle but was just curious. Will be able to get a more informative feel for her when I have my parent/teacher conference. I just wanted some opinions. It's not like I am going to treat them like the word of god. The kindergarten teacher seemed ok when we talked to him but apparently it was an act and he later got disciplined for some behavior. The parents got a letter advising us of this occurring.

mrweb

Iron City
Warrant guru said:
I have talked with the teacher alittle but was just curious. Will be able to get a more informative feel for her when I have my parent/teacher conference. I just wanted some opinions. It's not like I am going to treat them like the word of god. The kindergarten teacher seemed ok when we talked to him but apparently it was an act and he later got disciplined for some behavior. The parents got a letter advising us of this occurring.

So what are you going to do if you get less than favorable information about the teacher?

cdsulhoff

Warrant guru said:

Mrs Brooks is a wonderful teacher. She is a fairly new and young teacher at the school but she is really good with the kids. She is fun but yet firm. I think your child will like her. Couple of my friends kids had her and they absolutely love her..

Who was your child's K teacher?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
mrweb said:
So what are you going to do if you get less than favorable information about the teacher?
He'll print this out and take it to the Principal and ask that the child be moved because he read it on the internet silly!

W

Warrant guru

Well, depends on where I get it from. If I get it from here, I will keep it in mind but I will do nothing. I value opinions but they are just that. If I get it from my son, I will deal with it with the teacher first. I trust my instincts and will advise her of any concerns that my son or I have regarding something that happened at school. I don't baby my kids so if they did wrong, they accept the punishment.

mrweb

Iron City
RoseRed said:
He'll print this out and take it to the Principal and ask that the child be moved because he read it on the internet silly!

That's what I was getting at. Not that Warrant was going to do this but I have seen it all too often where the parents will mollycoddle their kids and take them out of one class and move them to another with a teacher whom the parents "approve."

W

Warrant guru

cdsulhoff said:
Mrs Brooks is a wonderful teacher. She is a fairly new and young teacher at the school but she is really good with the kids. She is fun but yet firm. I think your child will like her. Couple of my friends kids had her and they absolutely love her..

Who was your child's K teacher?
Not going to name names but I thought his attitude was off for a kindergarten teacher. At this age, learning is suppose to be fun. Wait until they get up in the grades before giving them the reality check that school is hard work. He was nice to my son and never criticized him and in fact, praised him in correspondences to me. My son never said anything negative to me about him but I was just shocked when he said that school isn't about having fun.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Warrant guru said:
Not going to name names but I thought his attitude was off for a kindergarten teacher. At this age, learning is suppose to be fun. Wait until they get up in the grades before giving them the reality check that school is hard work. He was nice to my son and never criticized him and in fact, praised him in correspondences to me. My son never said anything negative to me about him but I was just shocked when he said that school isn't about having fun.

What's the big deal with that?

I remember when a teacher told me they don't correct spelling. I guess it took all the fun out of creative writing. :rolleyes:

jenbengen

Watch it
Warrant guru said:

I'm sure his issue wasn't with the kids enjoying school- sometimes a few rotten kids can ruin it for the class and the teacher has to toughen up some to keep some order in the class.

W

Warrant guru

mrweb said:
That's what I was getting at. Not that Warrant was going to do this but I have seen it all too often where the parents will mollycoddle their kids and take them out of one class and move them to another with a teacher whom the parents "approve."

I am not planning on moving my child from one class to another unless there is a serious problem, which I highly doubt will happen. Something like inappropriate touching (ie discipline or otherwise) would require some action on my part. My son coming home every day and saying the teacher hates me and gives no reason to back it up, I will chaulk it up to him just being 6 and a natural born complainer. My son will have to deal with people all his life that don't get along with him and he doesn't get along with them. That's life. Better to deal with it early on than go out into the real world and find out the hard way.

cdsulhoff

Warrant guru said:

I know who you are talking about because there is only one K teacher that is a guy. I happen to think this teacher is wonderful and he is good with the kids.. He is also well loved by many parents at the school.. And is one of the most sought out teacher that parents want their child to have..
I think you misunderstood him.. He is a very fun teacher . I think he was saying school is about learning not play time.. They go all day and is expected more of them now than ever in kindergarten.. I know him on a personal level as well. I was one of his parent volunteer when my child was in his class and they have the most fun of all the kindergarten classes.
Have you ever gone into the class and watch his teaching?

mrweb

Iron City
Warrant guru said:
I am not planning on moving my child from one class to another unless there is a serious problem, which I highly doubt will happen. Something like inappropriate touching (ie discipline or otherwise) would require some action on my part. My son coming home every day and saying the teacher hates me and gives no reason to back it up, I will chaulk it up to him just being 6 and a natural born complainer. My son will have to deal with people all his life that don't get along with him and he doesn't get along with them. That's life. Better to deal with it early on than go out into the real world and find out the hard way.

Good for you! That was my stance. I just cringed when I saw a parent move a kid just so the kid wouldn't have to face a tough teacher. Both my kids had some good teachers and some bad. They learned to deal with it. Sounds like you are taking the right approach with your son. Good mommy!

W

Warrant guru

Sharon said:
What's the big deal with that?

I remember when a teacher told me they don't correct spelling. I guess it took all the fun out of creative writing. :rolleyes:

KIndergarten ain't like it was when I was in school. It was all about fun back then. Now they are actually teaching them stuff which is great!! My son knows how to read already because of this teacher so I am not criticizing him. I had no idea that kindergarten had changed that much since the 70's. They are learning so much more than I did way way back then. I think he could have just reworded it better.

W

Warrant guru

cdsulhoff said:
I know who you are talking about because there is only one K teacher that is a guy. I happen to think this teacher is wonderful and he is good with the kids.. He is also well loved by many parents at the school.. And is one of the most sought out teacher that parents want their child to have..
I think you misunderstood him.. He is a very fun teacher . I think he was saying school is about learning not play time.. They go all day and is expected more of them now than ever in kindergarten.. I know him on a personal level as well. I was one of his parent volunteer when my child was in his class and they have the most fun of all the kindergarten classes.
Have you ever gone into the class and watch his teaching?

I agree with you about him being a good teacher. He taught my son so much. I just didn't know then (when he made the comment- mind you it was within the first month of school starting) that kindergarten was going to be so "academic".

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Warrant guru said:
I agree with you about him being a good teacher. He taught my son so much. I just didn't know then (when he made the comment- mind you it was within the first month of school starting) that kindergarten was going to be so "academic".

My son also had him for Kindergarten and I was thrilled when that little card came in the mail saying that's who his teacher was. He is an awesome teacher. Towards the end of the school year he seemed tougher. He made sure the kids were prepared for 1st grade. Kindergarten is a whole lot different then it was when I went to school.

I also have a 1st grader this year and I would have been happy with any of the 1st grade teacher. PES has an excellent 1st grade team. From what i have seen of Brooks she is firm but fun and seems to really care about the kids.