Thank you notes for Children's Parties

raspberry_swirl

Does anyone send out thank you notes anymore? Each year that my children have birthday parties, I always send a thank you note out to each child that attends. However, I've noticed that I am the only one that sends these out. Is this a lost art?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's probably a little overboard on the thank you note scale. My SIL is a regular Miss Manners when it comes to thank you notes, but even she doesn't send them out to party guests.

H

hborror

raspberry_swirl said:
Does anyone send out thank you notes anymore? Each year that my children have birthday parties, I always send a thank you note out to each child that attends. However, I've noticed that I am the only one that sends these out. Is this a lost art?

I do it too

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
I do not send them but almost everyone in my family does. I think saying thank you when you open the gift and when the people leave is good enough. When I get a card I open it and read it and it immediately goes in the trash. It is nice to get a card but I don't see them as a necessity.

raspberry_swirl

hotmomma said:
I do not send them but almost everyone in my family does. I think saying thank you when you open the gift and when the people leave is good enough. When I get a card I open it and read it and it immediately goes in the trash. It is nice to get a card but I don't see them as a necessity.

Well thank goodness for that! It's a painstaking task to sit down with a 7 year old and write out thank you notes! I'll be sure that she says "thank you" to everyone after we open presents, etc...

J

julz20684

raspberry_swirl said:

Pete I'm sure will know.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wait - are you talking about thank you notes for a gift, or just for attending the party?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
raspberry_swirl said:
Thank you cards for the gift and attending the party. If someone invites us to a kiddo's party, we usually take a gift.
Okay, I see. It's probably not required to send a thank you note to your child's classmate if they were thanked in person BUT it's a nice touch for the parent who actually purchased the gift. If you can get your kid to remember to pass out the notes, and the other kids actually remember to take them home. :lol:

jenbengen

Watch it
raspberry_swirl said:

I send thank you cards out for gifts my children receive for their birthday and Christmas. Several others we know do too. I think it's worth doing.

squidword

word has it that even ms manners has cut back on requiring thank you notes. if the gift is open in front of the giver a verbal thank you should do it, in case of a child giving another child a gift the parent should also be thanked upon picking up the child or dropping the child off. if the gift is mailed or hand given but not opened in front of the giver a thank you note is required! email does not count as a thank you for some reason.

raspberry_swirl

vraiblonde said:
Okay, I see. It's probably not required to send a thank you note to your child's classmate if they were thanked in person BUT it's a nice touch for the parent who actually purchased the gift. If you can get your kid to remember to pass out the notes, and the other kids actually remember to take them home. :lol:

So true! Hopefully half the kids that got invitations to our next party lost them on the way home because the 7 year old has 17 kids in her class! I don't want to imagine 10 kids at my house for a bday party, let alone 17 (and their parent/s). Talk about chaos...

raspberry_swirl

squidword said:
word has it that even ms manners has cut back on requiring thank you notes. if the gift is open in front of the giver a verbal thank you should do it, in case of a child giving another child a gift the parent should also be thanked upon picking up the child or dropping the child off. if the gift is mailed or hand given but not opened in front of the giver a thank you note is required! email does not count as a thank you for some reason.

Thank you for your research! It will come in handy.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
raspberry_swirl said:
So true! Hopefully half the kids that got invitations to our next party lost them on the way home because the 7 year old has 17 kids in her class! I don't want to imagine 10 kids at my house for a bday party, let alone 17 (and their parent/s). Talk about chaos...
I always tell the parents to come back in a couple hours.

SoMDGirl42

raspberry_swirl said:
I once had the whole class, 26 5 year olds, all show up for my son's birthday party at the bowling alley! Only one parent stayed :jameo: :jameo: That was a first and a last! The kids had a blast. I was too embarrassed to ever return to that bowling alley in fear they would ask me to leave.

squidword

when my kids had parties they invited the number of kids that was the age they were turning, 7 years old invited 7 kids, 8 8 kids until the got in there teens then only a very few 2 or 3 and we did something bigger.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
hotmomma said:
I always tell the parents to come back in a couple hours.
I did, too. They can stay and chat for a second to make sure we're not ax murderers, then get out. The only thing worse than wrangling 10 5 year olds is dealing with their overbearing Mommies on top of it.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
vraiblonde said:
I did, too. They can stay and chat for a second to make sure we're not ax murderers, then get out. The only thing worse than wrangling 10 5 year olds is dealing with their overbearing Mommies on top of it.

Maybe I'm just mean, but I don't feel like entertaining a bunch of parents and having them stare at me for 2 hours while they keep their jackets on and never sit down.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I say :yay: :yay: on Thank You notes for gifts. It just feels like the appropriate, appreciative and cultured thing to do...

While young, it's a nice way to instill politeness as well as to let another know that they acknowledge their kindness. I mean, it is a "gift", right?

I get that they probably don't "get it" just yet, but someday they will, hopefully.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
virgovictoria said:
I say :yay: :yay: on Thank You notes for gifts. It just feels like the appropriate, appreciative and cultured thing to do...

While young, it's a nice way to instill politeness as well as to let another know that they acknowledge their kindness. I mean, it is a "gift", right?

I get that they probably don't "get it" just yet, but someday they will, hopefully.
:yeahthat: Not to mention they get to practice their writing skills. :dance: