Adolescent Cell Phone Use & Poor Sleep

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Adolescents' use of cell phones after bedtime contributes to poor sleep.

WESTCHESTER, Ill. – The use of modern means of interpersonal and mass communication has become an essential part of being young. Technology has enabled two people to connect with each other virtually anywhere and at any time, a privilege that, according to new research, is often abused by youngsters and cutting into their sleep time. A study published in the September 1 issue of the journal SLEEP finds that cell phone use after bedtime is very prevalent among adolescents, and its use is related to increased levels of tiredness after one year.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-09/aaos-jsa082407.php

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, that is just a genius observation by the sleep people. :lol: Who'd have thought that yakking on the phone all night would interfere with your sleep?

I used to take the youngest's phone away from her at bedtime, otherwise she'd be up all night talking and texting.

smoothmarine187

vraiblonde said:
Well, that is just a genius observation by the sleep people. :lol: Who'd have thought that yakking on the phone all night would interfere with your sleep?

I used to take the youngest's phone away from her at bedtime, otherwise she'd be up all night talking and texting.

:yay: I was just going to say, the lack of sleep is because of poor parenting not cell phone use.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
smoothmarine187 said:
:yay: I was just going to say, the lack of sleep is because of poor parenting not cell phone use.
:howdy: Thanks! Glad you red it and came to the same conclusion I did.

Sadysue

These people are just a little late figuring this one out.

Heck, who even needs a cellphone, I did the same thing when I was a kid with a regular home phone.

At least then it was sort of a challenge. If someone was going to call you, you had to sneak around and turn the ringers off so the parents wouldn't find out, then turn them on again in the morning.

I can't remember how many times my mom would pick up the phone at 11pm and say "I know your on the phone, go to bed NOW!!" :wench: