Right on cue...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...another one approaches 16 and another has lost there mind.

So, the last one, wants to go to friends last night, chores are done, homework done, fine. Wants friends over tonight, maybe a bonfire, sure.

We make a fire pit. We're all set. I've got groceries, burgers on the grill, lettuce, tomato, cheese, fresh spinach. All set. So, I say 'Hey, you guys are probably gonna want marshmallows later. Maybe go get them now?" One of the girls drives.

So, 10 minutes later, I'm ready to cook and sweet little baby is like "So, you want us to to to Safeway? Can we have a few bucks?"

Uhh...

"No. I don't even like marshmallows. It was for you benefit. So, no, I don't want you to." So much for marshmallows.

Then, 10 minutes later, I want some help while I'm grilling.

"Hey, come to the kitchen and do something for me."

"What do you need?"

I'm running back and forth with burgers to flip, cheese, buns, I'm busy. So, I don't stop at the foot of the stairs for the New High Priestess. No help comes.

Now I'm annoyed.

"Come down here."

Burgers are done, lettuce, tomato, everything.

"Why didn't you come to the kitchen to help me?"

"I was right here on the stairs. You just walked away."

"Did it occur to you to follow?"

"Dad, I was standing right here."

"Why didn't you come to the kitchen?"

"I was right here, dad."

"WHY didn't you come to the kitchen?"

"Dad, what's the big deal? I was standing right here."

I pop. Slam the door.

This is the kid who 30 minutes ago would pretty much always say "Ooops. I'm on it" after forgetting/not hearing/ whatever.

Now it's "Dad, I was right here."

Excuse time has arrived.

Damn it all.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
A bit differnt here. 2 Boys 10-13. The 10 year old will jump. The 13 year old has to be told. But only once.

I hope this continues but aint bettin' the farm on it.

H

hborror

Oh to take a look at what I've got coming to me with 2 girls...

Thank god I have a ways to go still

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Larry I would still switch you my 13y/o boiy for ALL the kids you got and any future ones and I will make it a family law that all future generations of my family has to take on all of your family's future kids.

Just come get him. Better yet I'll bring him to you. TIA :flowers:

sockgirl77

LexiGirl75 said:
Larry I would still switch you my 13y/o boiy for ALL the kids you got and any future ones and I will make it a family law that all future generations of my family has to take on all of your family's future kids.

Dear Larry,
Her boy comes with a line of girls chasing him down the street.
:flowers:,
Socki

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry, after Girl #1 and Girl #2, I'm shocked that this incident with #3 even registers on the Richter scale.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Boys...

LexiGirl75 said:

..are so much easier.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm running around...

vraiblonde said:
Plus, I'm not sure I understand what she did wrong.

...and asked for help. Whatever miscommunication is going on and instead of following me and seeing what I need, she stands on the steps. Obviously, I, being the parent who is busy, should stop and come to her if I actually needed something, right? Not, "dads running around, said something that sounded like 'I need some help. I'll go check". So, what does one do?

Afterwards, she said she didn't hear me say, specifically, 'Come to the kitchen and do something for me."

So, why not come find out? Why couldn't you be bothered to come see what I needed? I was getting annoyed because I said, what I thought was clear as a bell, "Please come to the kitchen and do something for me" after calling her down from her room so she could hear me in the first place. In the meantime, foods on the grill, I need cheese, flip them, etc.

"But I was standing there, I thought you were ignoring me' thing.

Couldn't you see I was busy? Why didn't you come to the kitchen?

"But, I was standing there..."
"But, I was standing there..."

Yeah, I noticed that.

I got pizzed because I thought I was clear and I am not going to stop what I am doing, burn the burgers, forget the cheese and whatever else I was doing so you don't have to come all the way down off of the stairs and come see what I need.

She was preoccupied with the pals, I was aready annoyed because it was like pulling teeth even suggesting they may want marshmallows later on.

I over reacted and blew a fuse and slammed the door after the 5th "But I was standing there". She ends up crying and feeling horrible about the whole thing. I become the bad guy because I got mad and made her cry and I'm still not sure she even sees how she could have made the whole thing not happen by coming to me.

Pete

Repete
Boy does the same thing with a twist. He will be somewhere in the house and yell "DAD!" then mumble something. Like "I" am supposed to go seek him out and find out what he wanted.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Larry Gude said:
I over reacted

A BIG :yeahthat:

I think this situation can be applied to anyone, not just a teenager....people aren't mindreaders. You should have told her what you wanted/needed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
So, why not come find out? Why couldn't you be bothered to come see what I needed?
And this is your fourth time around, too :roflmao:

I suspect you were just having an annoyed day because I know normally you would tell her exactly what you needed and she would have complied. "Em, run and grab cheese for the burgers." "Got it, Dad!"

Vince

Pete said:
Boy does the same thing with a twist. He will be somewhere in the house and yell "DAD!" then mumble something. Like "I" am supposed to go seek him out and find out what he wanted.
Yeah, I used to get that one. They yell and I was supposed to come running to them and see what they wanted. My children learned very quickly that it was their job to come running to me and I would help them. Not like it was easy to teach them that particular lesson, but it finally sunk in after 17 or 18 years.

K

Kain99

I understand your irritation Larry. Just keep in mind that on the scale of "bad kid crap" This is really minor. She didn't come home drunk, she's not using drugs, she isn't pregnant!

Now don't you feel better? :huggy: