Emo

B

Bronwyn

My 9th grade son has been using the word Emo a lot when talking with his friends. I gather that they are talking about a click at school. Is this the new Goth group?

R

RadioPatrol

Bronwyn said:
My 9th grade son has been using the word Emo a lot when talking with his friends. I gather that they are talking about a click at school. Is this the new Goth group?

Emo ? emotional ? maybe taking about girls ?

T

tikipirate

I can't say that what your son is calling 'Emo' today is what that term used to mean years ago.

An 'Emo' boy would be slender and sexually ambiguous. (Think David Bowie for us older folks.) Open to sexual advances from everyone and anyone. VERY in touch with his feelings. Big in the rave scene. Overindulges in party drugs such as Ecstacy. (E, X, beans)

An Emo boy is kinda like a young girl who willingly gets taken advantage of in every way.

The fact that your son is talking like this should perk your ears up. Please pay attention, because things are going on around him that you probably wouldn't like.

T

tikipirate

EmnJoe-

The problem with wiki is that it is user-provided. 99% of the time it is on point, but you gotta keep an eye out for the 1% that is completely wrong. Your links are that 1%.

Fugazi is great! Husker Du is even better! I used to hang with Tesco Vee and the Meatmen back in Detroit. No way could they ever be coined 'emo'.

No effing way.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
tikipirate said:
I can't say that what your son is calling 'Emo' today is what that term used to mean years ago.

An 'Emo' boy would be slender and sexually ambiguous. (Think David Bowie for us older folks.) Open to sexual advances from everyone and anyone. VERY in touch with his feelings. Big in the rave scene. Overindulges in party drugs such as Ecstacy. (E, X, beans)

An Emo boy is kinda like a young girl who willingly gets taken advantage of in every way.

The fact that your son is talking like this should perk your ears up. Please pay attention, because things are going on around him that you probably wouldn't like.
Your explanation is obsolete. Emo means "emotive", in reference to music. Emo kids are melodramatic whiners.

K

Kain99

Nickel said:
Your explanation is obsolete. Emo means "emotive", in reference to music. Emo kids are melodramatic whiners.
Don't forget their penchant for cutting! Woo Hoo! :killingme

greyhound

Kain99 said:
Don't forget their penchant for cutting! Woo Hoo! :killingme

I know a group of "Emo" kids and not one of them is a cutter. I know 4 non "Emo" kids that are cutters.

I'm not sticking up for the "Emo" kids, I just work with children so I see all kinds of groups and how they interact.

K

Kain99

greyhound said:
I know a group of "Emo" kids and not one of them is a cutter. I know 4 non "Emo" kids that are cutters.

I'm not sticking up for the "Emo" kids, I just work with children so I see all kinds of groups and how they interact.
How can you say a cutter is not Emo? In my book that's just about as emotive as it gets!

I have no professsional credentials. Just very strong opinions. :huggy:

greyhound

Kain99 said:
How can you say a cutter is not Emo? In my book that's just about as emotive as it gets!

I have no professsional credentials. Just very strong opinions. :huggy:

"Emo" today is a culture, it is a way of dressing and music. Emo started out as those kids that were on the edge. But now it is a Fad.

K

Kain99

greyhound said:
"Emo" today is a culture, it is a way of dressing and music. Emo started out as those kids that were on the edge. But now it is a Fad.
Do you consider it a dangerous fad?

K

Kain99

greyhound said:
Not now. In any group you have the kids on the fring. But most of them are just dressing the part.
But dressing the part of "being on the fringe" is scary. If I were you, I'd have to ask myself why this lifestyle is attractive.

If one of my kids came home dressing "Emo" I'd put them in an institution. Really.

I think the fad deserves close attention.

Did I mention I'm opinionated? :lmao: