tint inspection

Claff

got pulled over today in Lusby by a state trooper who said aftermarket tint had to be inspected after installation to ensure it's legal. The car in question had 35% tint (legal limit) applied in 2005 and never attracted this attention before, just like my other car that is also tinted at 35%.

she said that inspected and approved tint will be rewarded with a decal? or a flag on the registration on the state's computers? something like that.

Of course there are a zillion cars out there that have far darker tint than mine but the cops just drive right on by those guys.

Anyone with tint have to go through this inspection? It has to be done at the MVA inspection station and only between 8:30-10AM Tuesday through Thursday, which is premo sleep time for me. What a pain in the neck for this citizen whose done nothing wrong.

MMDad

Lem Putt
greyhound said:
Ummmm...they don't have quotas.

They just don't call them quotas any more. They're called "barrack averages", but hey still amount to quotas. Somehow it's okay to have quotas as long as you don't call them quotas.

However, the quotas are due at the end of the month. Any ticket given on the first of the month cannot be blamed on quotas.

R

RadioPatrol

Claff said:
got pulled over today in Lusby by a state trooper who said aftermarket tint had to be inspected after installation to ensure it's legal. The car in question had 35% tint (legal limit) applied in 2005 and never attracted this attention before, just like my other car that is also tinted at 35%.

she said that inspected and approved tint will be rewarded with a decal? or a flag on the registration on the state's computers? something like that.

Of course there are a zillion cars out there that have far darker tint than mine but the cops just drive right on by those guys.

Anyone with tint have to go through this inspection? It has to be done at the MVA inspection station and only between 8:30-10AM Tuesday through Thursday, which is premo sleep time for me. What a pain in the neck for this citizen whose done nothing wrong.

ain't never heard no shait like that b4 .......

SJSWING

Claff said:

I would hate to say it, but she is right. There is a machine that they slip over your window of the car to determine how much light the tint lets through. Maryland state says that any car has to be 35 percent, while trucks, suvs and minivans can have all the windows limo tint, except for the driver and passenger side windows. The test only takes a few minutes at the MVA, and will save you trouble if you ever get pulled over by a officer again for the same problem. They will issue a sticker that you can put on your front windshield towards the bottom that says it is legit and legal.

Claff

Went to get it checked out and my 35% tint wound up reading 26% thanks to the factory glass tint. So this week's project will be peeling the stuff off all the windows, I'm not too enthused but it beats having my registration revoked.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
The factory tinting is only on the back windows I thought they could be as dark as you like? My tint is 20% and I have never gotten pulled over... (knock on wood)

Vince

Only one trouble with tint.....somebody waves at you from a tinted vehicle and you don't know who the hell it is unless you're familiar with the type vehicle. That bugs the crap out of me. :duh: Who was that??

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
MLGTS08 said:
The factory tinting is only on the back windows I thought they could be as dark as you like? My tint is 20% and I have never gotten pulled over... (knock on wood)
Most cars have tinted winows if they have AC

SJSWING

MLGTS08 said:

I would say that you are one of the lucky ones out there. Some cops will be on the look out for it when they pull you over, but then there are the ones that don't care.

SJSWING

Claff said:
Went to get it checked out and my 35% tint wound up reading 26% thanks to the factory glass tint. So this week's project will be peeling the stuff off all the windows, I'm not too enthused but it beats having my registration revoked.

Have fun getting all the tint off. The tint is not the hard part, but the actual glue is the hard thing to get off.

bcp

In My Opinion
Claff said:

whats the reason behind tinting?
it looks pretty cool on some cars, but on others it looks foolish.

but, looks aside, since you do see the old 83 impalas with the tint, what is the reason for it.

SJSWING

bcp said:

but, looks aside, since you do see the old 83 impalas with the tint, what is the reason for it.

The reason for the tinting of vehicle windows is to reduce the uv rays, and keep the inside of the vehicle cooler during the summer days. But, the tint does not work that well, but does work. If you put a darker tint on your vehicle it does help, but Maryland state says 35% is as dark as they will allow, so in conclusion it does not help that much. More for a cosmetic thing then anything else.

SoMdmMusician

It's all about officer safety. Nothing more.

SoMdmMusician

It's just a "Jones" / "Fad" thing. It used to be car alarms, thank God that's over, I used to say, "I wish someone would steal that car so I don't have to be irritated by that &%#$ car alarm anymore" LOL.

Then all the kids had to have those low profile touring tires, which cost $2-300 each and last about 4 months, then it was car stereos that went BOOM, BOOM, and basically that was just a expensive way to shake the rust of their moms old Buick, and prove how worn out their old rattle bucket actually was.

Now about these irritating blue light bulbs, why? You can't see any better with the things and they appear to "wash" out what's in front of you anyway. The human eye is not designed to see with that color light, if it were, headlights would have been made differently eons ago.

But, anyway, as far as the tint thing is concerned, it's illegal anyway you look at it, it's a safety issue both for law enforcement and vehicle operation. So, if you wanna pay the money and enjoy it while you have before you get the ticket to have it removed, go ahead. But, why not just save that money and put gas in the tank.

SoMdmMusician

The reason for the tinting of vehicle windows is to reduce the uv rays, and keep the inside of the vehicle cooler during the summer days. But, the tint does not work that well, but does work. If you put a darker tint on your vehicle it does help, but Maryland state says 35% is as dark as they will allow, so in conclusion it does not help that much. More for a cosmetic thing then anything else.

That's a hoot. Black attracts sunlight increasing heat, right? Then tint should actually be silver or something for reflective purposes. After all, window tint, side windows, and rear windows, are not polarized, so, tint serves no purpose for reducing heat or UV rays.

Last edited by a moderator:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
It's all about officer safety. Nothing more.

:yeahthat: If we didn't have so many freaks killing police officers it wouldn't be a big deal. At night when I have gotten pulled over I always turn on the interior lights so he/she can have a better level of safety approaching my truck. I know they appreciate it and BTW have never gotten a ticket when I have done that.

Got a guy here on base who has all windows including windshield tinted black. Claims he has Glaucoma. Car looks cool I must say but does nothing for the trooper/sheriff who has to think about tazing/shooting the guy/gal on the otherside of the glass because he just doesn't know whats on the other side.