kids tying shoes

mamissa3

What is the average age for a child to be able to tie his or her shoes. Does anybody have a good tips on how to teach them to tie their shoes?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Mine could tie their shoes by the time they were 4...use the bunny ear method. ...works like a charm.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
All my kids learned by the end of Kindergarten. My son learned from my neighbor after he sat with him about 5 minutes. I had tried teaching him and he wasn't getting it. You could always send yours to my neighbor :)

I do have a friend who's child is in THIRD grade and still can't tie shoes. Of course she has never had tie shoes because it's "easier" to buy velcro or slip ons.

smsd

DA BEARS!!!
Both of mine learned just before they turned 4 and we used the bunny ear's method as well.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
cattitude said:
...use the bunny ear method. ...works like a charm.
Except for mine...she couldn't understand it to save her life. :lol: "What's a bunny ear...what do you mean, through what loop?" :banghead:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Theres something a little sad about a child older than 5 who cant tie their shoes but its so much sadder that they have parents who are too lazy too teach them. Isnt that one of the so called milestones of your childs life? WTF's up with that.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Chasey_Lane said:
Except for mine...she couldn't understand it to save her life. :lol: "What's a bunny ear...what do you mean, through what loop?" :banghead:
:lmao: :yeahthat:

My little one could not get the bunny ear method to save her life. She said she didn't want to make bunnies, she wanted to learn to tie her shoes. :rolleyes:
So, I showed her the other way (make a loop, wrap around, go through the hole, pull...) and she could do that perfectly! I was shocked. I pretty much thought that was a harder way to do it, but I guess for her, it made more sense.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
baileydog said:
Theres something a little sad about a child older than 5 who cant tie their shoes but its so much sadder that they have parents who are too lazy too teach them. Isnt that one of the so called milestones of your childs life? WTF's up with that.
Actually, I used to be a very smart child, but for whatever reason I could never grasp the concept of tying my shoes. I made it much more complicated than it really was. My dad said I couldn't skip a grade until I learned to tie my shoes. :lol: Point of my story, don't presume it's the parents fault.

mamissa3

My 6 year old does not get the whole bunny ear thing either. He does howerver get the other way but just gets frustrated though. My 5 year old gets it the other way. I was just courious because a friend of mine has an older child and he cant tie his shoes. I have never been big on velcro unless they are sandals or really little.