High Fructose Corn Syrup

keekee

Sounds like something natural, but it's NOT. It's made from genetically altered corn, and genetically altered bacteria, with very complicated chemical processing. Unlike glucose, which is used by your cells to produce energy, HFCS must be processed by your liver.

It's bad for you, but it's cheap... so the food companies use it.
Even foods & drinks that claim to be healthy have HFCS.

We've been trying to avoid it in our diet, and it is pretty near impossible.
It's in EVERYthing.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
keekee said:
Sounds like something natural, but it's NOT. It's made from genetically altered corn, and genetically altered bacteria, with very complicated chemical processing.

And your proof is where? :really:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
keekee said:
Sounds like something natural, but it's NOT. It's made from genetically altered corn, and genetically altered bacteria, with very complicated chemical processing. Unlike glucose, which is used by your cells to produce energy, HFCS must be processed by your liver.

It's bad for you, but it's cheap... so the food companies use it.
Even foods & drinks that claim to be healthy have HFCS.

We've been trying to avoid it in our diet, and it is pretty near impossible.
It's in EVERYthing.
It's like trying to avoid things made in China. Give up now, and go drink a soda. :cheers:

keekee

Sharon said:
And your proof is where? :really:

Just like anyone else... things that I have read.

That's all you have to go on unless you own a very extensive chemistry set.

So I guess you're right. It could be all lies.
Maybe it's really-really good for you, and nobody wants us to know... :really:

keekee

Nickel said:
It's like trying to avoid things made in China. Give up now, and go drink a soda. :cheers:

I had Frosted Mini-Wheats this morning.
They have it too.

I'm not a health nut, by any means... but I do try to stay healthy, kinda.

danceintherain

I recently had blood work done to check my vitamin levels/cholesterol/blood sugar etc. and after all that I was asked to stay away from high fructose corn syrup. If its in the first 5 ingrediants, whatever it is it isnt good for you. So I did my best to eliminate anything with the syrup and was able to lower my blood sugar and loose weight.

MMDad

Lem Putt
keekee said:
Unlike glucose, which is used by your cells to produce energy, HFCS must be processed by your liver.
That's true of all sugars. That includes naturally occuring fructose in fruit. Are you going to stop eating apples now?

Cells burn glucose. All other energy sources, like carbs or fats, must first be converted into glucose by the body. That isn't anything to panic over.

knittin

somdexpressions
It can also cause symptoms like IBS -- trust me I know someone that it affects everytime! Many people are completely unaware that their IBS symptoms may be caused by HFCS, MSG, or other additives.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
keekee said:
I'm not a health nut, by any means... but I do try to stay healthy, kinda.
It's entirely possible to stay away from HFCS, but you have to be willing to make a complete lifestyle change. Most of us aren't willing or able to do what it takes (either because of money, time, or availability constraints).

danceintherain said:
I recently had blood work done to check my vitamin levels/cholesterol/blood sugar etc. and after all that I was asked to stay away from high fructose corn syrup. If its in the first 5 ingrediants, whatever it is it isnt good for you. So I did my best to eliminate anything with the syrup and was able to lower my blood sugar and loose weight.

That is one of the rules from the "You on a Diet" book by Dr. Oz....

Mikeinsmd

Nickel said:
It's entirely possible to stay away from HFCS, but you have to be willing to make a complete lifestyle change. Most of us aren't willing or able to do what it takes (either because of money, time, or availability constraints).
Eat healthy, live well and die anyway. :dead:

verucasalt

yay!!! keke!!!!! I have givin up HFCS for about 6 months now, as well as hydrogenated oils. It is almost impossible to avoid. I am glad someone else out there reads about nutrition!!!! For those of you who do not believe go to oprah.com and read what dr. oz says.

keekee

MMDad said:
That's true of all sugars. That includes naturally occuring fructose in fruit. Are you going to stop eating apples now?

Cells burn glucose. All other energy sources, like carbs or fats, must first be converted into glucose by the body. That isn't anything to panic over.

OK, but from what I've read (if it's true), high levels of HFCS are bad for your liver. The problem is that it's in almost everything, so I would think we're all getting pretty high levels passing thru our livers. I'm not a nutritionist though.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
High Fructose Corn Syrup 09-05-2007 12:59 PM do your research dummy! have your blood pressure checked~ another downfall of hfcs

I have done my research, and never once did I say that HFCS isn't bad for you. I don't live in a bubble, so I'm going to ingest it every now and again. As far as my blood pressure goes, I'm perfectly healthy, so thanks for your concern. :kiss:

dustin

UAIOE
Nickel said:
I saw boxes of stuff in the hangerbay today waiting to be stowed away.... with big "Made in China" lettering stamped on the outside.

I think they were flip-flops (shower sandals) :yikes: