Carpenter Bees

OliveOyl

We recently discovered carpenter bees chewing on our deck. :burning:

Any good advice on how to remove them and keep them from coming back? :boxing:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh, look - after all the insults, NOW she needs us. :killingme Hey, Olive - say you're sorry and I'll call off my bees. :bubble:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Hey Olive, try honey...I always heard you could catch more bees that way. :biggrin:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by OliveOyl

Control

Carpenter bees prefer to attack wood which is bare, weathered and unpainted. Therefore, the best way to deter the bees is to paint all exposed wood surfaces, especially those which have a history of being attacked. Wood stains and preservatives are less reliable than painting, but will provide some degree of repellancy versus bare wood. To further discourage nesting, garages and outbuildings should be kept closed when carpenter bees are actively searching for nesting sites.

Liquid sprays of carbaryl (Sevin), chlorpyrifos (Dursban), or a synthetic pyrethroid (e.g., permethrin or cyfluthrin) can be applied as a preventive to wood surfaces which are attracting bees. Residual effectiveness of these insecticides is often only 1-2 weeks, however, and the treatment may need to be repeated. Tunnels which have already been excavated are best treated by puffing an insecticidal dust (e.g., 5 percent carbaryl) into the nest opening. Aerosol sprays labeled for wasp or bee control also are effective. Leave the hole open for a few days after treatment to allow the bees to contact and distribute the insecticide throughout the nest galleries. Then plug the entrance hole with a piece of wooden dowel coated with carpenter's glue, or wood putty. This will protect against future utilization of the old nesting tunnels and reduce the chances of wood decay.

OliveOyl

Whatever's more fun.

Hey lauren...this part I'm serious about. I hope you have a wonderful wedding and the weather works out for you!!!!

It will be very exciting and go by too fast, so savor every moment.

:flowers:

K

Kizzy

:yikes: Do I need my eyes checked, or did Olive Oyl actually say something nice?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by IM4Change
:yikes: Do I need my eyes checked, or did Olive Oyl actually say something nice?

I confirm - Olive said something nice :yikes:. Where's that frozen hell sign when we need it?? :lmao:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Hey lauren...this part I'm serious about. I hope you have a wonderful wedding and the weather works out for you!!!!

It will be very exciting and go by too fast, so savor every moment.

:flowers:

Thank you, Olive!! I hope the weather works out, but if not it'll be okay! I'm not totally flipping out yet, which is a shocker!! :biggrin:

Surf City Baby

Try a pressure washer.... I used one on my deck on Monday. Opened the umbrella to hose it down and found a wasp building a nest inside. Hit the wasp and the nest with the strongest stream... got rid of the wasp and the nest, all right, but tore a hole in the umbrella. :roflmao: at myself

I'm kidding. Don't turn a hose on the bees.

OliveOyl

Originally posted by IM4Change

I know it's hard to believe, but OliveOyl does have a heart from time to time. :smooch:

Just have a very bad taste in my mouth from SoMD. :barf:

I'll get over it.