Photography Groups?

Keeper

Is there a photography group in St. Mary's County? I'm learning photography and haven't found a class at any local colleges to help me learn more. I'd also like to learn more about Adobe Photoshop, but can't find anything at the colleges for that. What about a photography group or club?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Keeper said:
Is there a photography group in St. Mary's County?
Yes.

Oh, you want an address, I suppose... St. Mary's County Camera Club.

Keeper said:
I'd also like to learn more about Adobe Photoshop, but can't find anything at the colleges for that.
CSM offers depressingly little in the way of Photoshop for photographers. But you can check out Photoshop User magazine and try Googling PS for a dizzying list of free tutorials and stuff.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I may as well pose these things also...

What kind of photography are you interested in? Do you have any samples? What are you shooting with?

Keeper

A group? Great!

What kind of group - photography? Is it for beginners, intermediates, experts? All? In the ten years I've lived in the area, it seems like everything I'm interested in requires that I drive all the way to Baltimore or DC or Annapolis. I very much want to find things locally - or start them myself if they're not available.

I'm excited to hear more about a local group.

Shelley

Keeper

My experience, equipment, and a sample

I lived in Europe many years ago and hired a photographer there to take pictures of things that I wanted to paint. She never seemed to get the contrast and color or angle that I needed, so I bought a good Canon camera and started taking my own pictures. These days I'm a videographer, but I want to take my photography to the next level and add it to the services I offer. I have helped another photgrapher at two weddings and I've done a couple of other events, but I feel I need to know more about photography before I go any farther. I love taking pictures of wildlife, gardens, people, the local area - anything.

I still have my original Canon (film camera) and then I bought a Canon Rebel XT. I enjoyed that and have recently purchased a Canon 30D. I already have my sites on a Canon 5D or a 1D. A little rich for my blood right now - can't really justify the expense until I've shown myself that I know what I'm doing with the equipment I have. I like to shoot in manual, but my weakness is using a flash and getting my white balance right. Of course, the fact that I'm trying to keep the camera focused when I'm looking through a tiny little hole in the camera that's about a half inch by a half inch doesn't seem any too easy either.

Ah, well. I hope that helps. I have a website that shows a little bit of my work - http://www.logcabinstudios.tv

Shelley

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
I just started a continuing education class at CSM on Monday. It's Digital photography. So far it's seems to be pretty basic. Look for it online, it Monday nights from 6:30 to 9:30pm.