Chest Pressure After Full Meal

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.
Last night I had a frightening experience after eating dinner with my boyfriend and his father.

To start, I am twenty one years old. I have had cold-like symptoms over the past two days and decided at 6PM last night to take two dayquil tablets. At around 9PM, I ordered a drink (margarita) and ate a little more than I should have (full, but not stuffed). About five minutes after I stop eating, I begin to get horrible pressure in the center of my chest. I wouldn't go as far to describe it as terrible pain, but it was definitely uncomfortable (think really bad indigestion) I started to get warm, felt a little dizzy, and became nauseous. This feeling went away after 15 minutes, came back in half an hour, and then went away.

There was no warning on the dayquil to not mix with alcohol (just that it may cause drowsiness) and everything that I had to eat I have eaten before so I have basically ruled out an allergic reaction. I have been thinking that maybe I have gallstones seeing as everyone on my mother's and father's side of the family has had problems with this. I have been having indigestion after large (or even just small, fatty) meals more recently and this has never been a problem in the past. However, I have never felt the amount of discomfort that I felt last night so quickly after a meal. Has anyone every had this problem before? Are there any good doctors around here that you'd recommend? TIA.

Last edited:

ShamrockArabs

Your symptoms sound very similair to what my husband was going through for almost 1 year! It just started out of no where! They first thought gallstones, then reflux, then a few other things. A few months ago we finally found out what has going on....he has food allergies! He is allergic to wheat, corn, soybean, and peanuts. The funny thing about food allergies is they can just pop up out of the blue. If you continue having problems, I would look into having a food allergy screening. But, since it sounds like you've had a cold for the last 2 days, then it might just be that your body is trying to fight off the cold you have.

I hope you feel better soon!!

Last edited:

punjabigyrl

sounds like acid reflux but I'd say go and have a full physical. I would also make a diary for a week of what you eat and all the symptoms that you get. Make sure the doctor is good. Seems like a lot of incompetant physicians in southern maryland.

Vince

hammishsqueak said:
Last night I had a frightening experience after eating dinner with my boyfriend and his father.

To start, I am twenty one years old. I have had cold-like symptoms over the past two days and decided at 6PM last night to take two dayquil tablets. At around 9PM, I ordered a drink (margarita) and ate a little more than I should have (full, but not stuffed). About five minutes after I stop eating, I begin to get horrible pressure in the center of my chest. I wouldn't go as far to describe it as terrible pain, but it was definitely uncomfortable (think really bad indigestion) I started to get warm, felt a little dizzy, and became nauseous. This feeling went away after 15 minutes, came back in half an hour, and then went away.

There was no warning on the dayquil to not mix with alcohol (just that it may cause drowsiness) and everything that I had to eat I have eaten before so I have basically ruled out an allergic reaction. I have been thinking that maybe I have gallstones seeing as everyone on my mother's and father's side of the family has had problems with this. I have been having indigestion after large (or even just small, fatty) meals more recently and this has never been a problem in the past. However, I have never felt the amount of discomfort that I felt last night so quickly after a meal. Has anyone every had this problem before? Are there any good doctors around here that you'd recommend? TIA.
See your doctor. Might even me a hiatle hernia.

greyhound

Go to the hospital if you ever have it again.Better safe than sorry. Don't drink alcohol if you are taking medication especially cold medicine. It can effect your heart rate.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
I think you are too young for gall stones but.........I am NOT a physician.

Sounds like acid reflux........but again at your age you should be eating any thing you please.

Interesting post above about food allergies.....don't know much else it could have been.

You might be :gossip: :shocked:

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.
Thanks for all of your responses! I also thought that I may be a little young for gallstones, but I'm making a doctor's appointment on Monday just to make sure it's nothing serious. About the allergies popping out of nowhere, I hope that's not the case! My boyfriend's father's side of the family has a history of severe egg allergies that seem to pop out of nowhere. I joke with him all the time that he should never eat eggs alone, but I really do worry sometimes.

J

jp2854

Vince said:
See your doctor. Might even me a hiatle hernia.
I have that and the doctor put me on medication for acid reflux and it keeps it under control.

Novus Collectus

punjabigyrl said:
sounds like acid reflux ....
First thing I thought too.
It could be full blown GERD or a hiatal hernia and large, fatty meals aggravates both.
Heartburn is the major symptom of acid in the esophagus, characterized by burning discomfort behind the breastbone (sternum). Findings in GERD include esophagitis (reflux esophagitis) — inflammatory changes in the esophageal lining (mucosa) — strictures, difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), and chronic chest pain. Patients may have only one of those findings. Typical GERD symptoms include cough, hoarseness, voice changes, chronic ear ache, burning chest pains, nausea or sinusitis. GERD complications include stricture formation, Barrett's esophagus, esophageal ulcers, and possibly even lead to esophageal cancer, especially in adults over 60 years old.

Occasional heartburn is common but does not necessarily mean one has GERD. Patients with heartburn symptoms more than once a week are at risk of developing GERD. A hiatal hernia is usually asymptomatic, but the presence of a hiatal hernia is a risk factor for developing GERD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_reflux#Symptoms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatal_hernia

With all sincerity, if you smoke; quit! I quit about a year and a half ago and my heartburn issues and pain pretty much went away and I rarely have problems now. I used to get it bad and very often, but I went from taking Prilosec everyday to not having to take any since early last year.