Tool Lover's Blog

Novus Collectus

Someone who is anti gun once commented about how odd it was that so many gun lovers are fascinated with them and talk about them on the internet so much. When it was pointed out that guns are no different than tools they made the claim that people don't show the same passion for drill bits. I found some message boards and websights doing just that.
Subsitute "guns" for "drills" everywhere in this paragraph and it will have the same effect.
Of all old tools I find hole making and screw driving tools are are my most favorite. Braces, geared drills, bow , pump, Archimedean and strap drills give the collector a rich variety of items to seek, possess or sometimes just admire from afar. There are hundreds of different drill and brace attachments from simple bits and countersinks to washer cutters and hollow augers. Screwdrivers afford the same variety with a multitude of styles and manufacturing patterns. These tools and attachments were valuable to a developing country allowing their users to perform tasks from hogging waste for the large mortises used in timber framing buildings to drilling small holes to produce the timepieces that ran the railroads. Some are mysteries of origin, simple relics of necessity created by machinists and blacksmiths for their personal use. Others are the patented inventions of the practical, creative mechanics that spurred the development of industry and manufacturing in the United States and around the world. Some of these knights of innovation held scores of patents developed through decades of inspiration.
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/z_pdf/zChuck/boring.htm

When I used to work as a sheet metal worker and had a bevy of different tools. I had the same fascination for them as I do for guns, especially the antique tools some of the other guys were still using.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Novus Collectus said:
When I used to work as a sheet metal worker and had a bevy of different tools. I had the same fascination for them as I do for guns, especially the antique tools some of the other guys were still using.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well made tools and guns are works of art as well as being utilitarian.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
nhboy said:
I couldn't agree with you more. Well made tools and guns are works of art as well as being utilitarian.

utilitarian?:shrug:

there may be too much intilect in this fread for my redneck azz :killingme

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Dougstermd said:
utilitarian?:shrug:

there may be too much intilect in this fread for my redneck azz :killingme

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I also think a gun is a fine attitude adjustment tool! :lol: