Angioplasty, stints, and all that other heart-related crap

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Dad's in the hospital in PA for some chest pains he's been having on and off for a few weeks (he's a stubborn ass and didn't push the issue with the docs sooner to get a firm diagnosis). I'm on standby to head north. He's having a heart catheter in the morning, and depending on what they see, they'll do an angioplasty or stint, or both? Not sure, as I've not yet talked to the doctor. Anyone on here know the difference, and what necessitates one over the other (stint vs angioplasty) or are they done in conjunction with each other? :shrug:

TIA!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah...

crabcake said:
Dad's in the hospital in PA for some chest pains he's been having on and off for a few weeks (he's a stubborn ass and didn't push the issue with the docs sooner to get a firm diagnosis). I'm on standby to head north. He's having a heart catheter in the morning, and depending on what they see, they'll do an angioplasty or stint, or both? Not sure, as I've not yet talked to the doctor. Anyone on here know the difference, and what necessitates one over the other (stint vs angioplasty) or are they done in conjunction with each other? :shrug:

TIA!

Bet you a dollar right now they decide to cut him open and do a bypass. Or two or three.

Then, they're gonna chop him up like hamburger, beat the #### out of him and he's gonna look like he's dead when he comes out and, after a few weeks, he's gonna be fine. Be prepared for how ####ed up he's gonna look.

Sorry to hear it, but he WILL be fine.

crabcake

I saw the b/f's uncle a couple months ago after he had his stints ... he looked rough, slow moving, etc, but not too bad. I'm just curious about the difference between the procedures.

Thanks for the well-wishes ... he's gonna be fine. He's already chasing the nurse skirts around. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If he...

crabcake said:
I saw the b/f's uncle a couple months ago after he had his stints ... he looked rough, slow moving, etc, but not too bad. I'm just curious about the difference between the procedures.

Thanks for the well-wishes ... he's gonna be fine. He's already chasing the nurse skirts around. :lol:

...had a better plan they'd let him catch them.

ChattyCat

ChattyCat
crabcake said:

Hi Crabcake.......my hubby had a stint put in 5 years ago and is doing great! angioplasty is when the doc runs the wire with a balloon on the end of it through the arteries if a blockage the balloon is inflated and hopefully will unblock the clog. if it works and the walls of the artery are weak a stint will be put in to hold the artery open. if that does not work then do by pass surgery. the surgery does take a lot out of a person and its a while to recover but it WORKS! take care, good luck and I will say a prayer for him and you!

crabcake

Okay, so what determines whether they do angioplasty vs. a stint? b/f's uncle had two 90% blockages and got stints. Do they do both, or one or the other?

And for another bit of humor, they handed him a razor and told him to shave his "private region" for the procedure. My brother and I are surfing for pictures of botches shave jobs to humor him in the morning pre-surgery (that's how our old man is :shrug:) ... any links (sent via PM of course) are appreciated. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If...

ChattyCat said:
if that does not work then do by pass surgery.

......they're building a condo they do bypass, you mean. Housing is screwed right now. Dad is in for a long night.

Bet me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tell...

crabcake said:
Okay, so what determines whether they do angioplasty vs. a stint? b/f's uncle had two 90% blockages and got stints. Do they do both, or one or the other?

And for another bit of humor, they handed him a razor and told him to shave his "private region" for the procedure. My brother and I are surfing for pictures of botches shave jobs to humor him in the morning pre-surgery (that's how our old man is :shrug:) ... any links (sent via PM of course) are appreciated. :yay:

...him to tell the docs that regardless of what the wife says, that is NOT where his heart is! :lmao:

crabcake

Short version: he went to the hospital with chest pains last week. Did ekg, blood, stress tests, etc. and said he had esophogeal and/or brochial spasms. He followed up with his heart doc who gave him nitroglycerin and said, "next time you get the pain, take one of these. If the pain subsides in a couple minutes, go straight to the hospital and have them call me, b/c it's heart related; not spasms." He had the pain, but was a little too scared to take the NG, but finally did today, and voila ... he went straight to the hospital.

I'm thinking that if I go up there, I'll be swinging by the hospital that misdiagnosed him and poppin' them upside the damn head! :mad:

crabcake

Larry Gude said:
...him to tell the docs that regardless of what the wife says, that is NOT where his heart is! :lmao:

He doesn't have a 'wife'. Why ya think he's chasing skirts? :lol:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My dad got angioplasty AND a stint a few years ago. As someone said, the angioplasty uses a balloon to open the artery. The stint is a rigid tube to keep the artery open. They are frequently used together.

I recently read an article that said something about these procedures being overused.... lemme see if I can find it again...

Here it is

Though angioplasty has been hailed by some as a wonder fix for decades, it now turns out that most of the time, the procedure doesn't help. Angioplasty can save your life if it's done during or right after a heart attack. But in other circumstances, it may not do you much good.

It seems to be just one study against it versus years of it being accepted practice. So :shrug:

My dad ended up getting it done twice and now is having problems again (or maybe he's STILL having the problems) He's one of these stoic types who wouldn't tell you if he was dying, so it's hard to tell if the pain is reoccuring or constant.

Last edited:

crabcake

Dymphna said:
My dad got angioplasty AND a stint a few years ago. As someone said, the angioplasty uses a balloon to open the artery. The stint is a rigid tube to keep the artery open. They are frequently used together.

I recently read an article that said something about these procedures being overused.... lemme see if I can find it again...

Here it is

It seems to be just one study against it versus years of it being accepted practice. So :shrug:

My dad ended up getting it done twice and now is having problems again (or maybe he's STILL having the problems) He's one of these stoic types who wouldn't tell you if he was dying, so it's hard to tell if the pain is reoccuring or constant.

Thank you! :yay:

And Thanks to everyone else for the well wishes. :huggy:

PsyOps

Pixelated
crabcake said:

TIA!

I'm not posting this to scare the living crap out of you (like Larry :smack: ) but my dad's health went south due to heart disease and about 3 years ago he had to have surgery. He had triple-bypass, a valve repair and heart reconstruction. His heart was in really bad shape. We all wondered how he survived up to that point. So it was very extensive surgery. But Larry speaks the truth about the surgery (must’ve been there Larry?). They look pretty bad coming out…BUT, I can tell you, if it does come down to this, the medical technology is outstanding nowadays. It took my dad about a year and a half to fully recover to (what I consider) a normal level of health. He went into surgery with less than 25% heart strength capacity. Now he is at around 45%, which excellent considering… It was a tough, and unsure road, but he is doing well. His health will never be what I would like it to be but he is 75 years old and, for all intents and circumstances, is doing great.

I just want to give a little reassurance during what can be a time of lots of misinformation and fear. And I don’t know what choices your dad has but if it does come to this I recommend Washington Hospital Center and Dr. Steven Boyce. Not only is he a gifted surgeon, but is also an extremely caring and reassuring person.

Midnightrider

I had angio and a stint put in about a year ago. all in all not a bad thing to live through. I went from barely being able to walk without severe pain in the chest to biatching about how long i had been in the hospital in about 2 days. They kept me for a week, but it was overkill, i think i just had a good ins plan.

Basically i wouldn't worry too much.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My last boss went in for a stress test and the next thing you know they had him cut open and were replacing part of his heart with a pig valve. :yikes: Less than 6 months later that man looked the best I had ever seen. And for his surgery they had to stop his heart and then bring him back :twitch:

If your dad cooperates fully with the docs, then he'll get an accurate diagnosis. If he says his pain ain't all that bad, then they have no reason to question him any further and will send him along. So part of the delay/misdiagnosis is his own stubborn fault.

However, I tell you the technology and skills these doctors have today is absolutely astounding. I have been impressed by everything I have seen, heard and read.

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Short version: he went to the hospital with chest pains last week. Did ekg, blood, stress tests, etc. and said he had esophogeal and/or brochial spasms. He followed up with his heart doc who gave him nitroglycerin and said, "next time you get the pain, take one of these. If the pain subsides in a couple minutes, go straight to the hospital and have them call me, b/c it's heart related; not spasms." He had the pain, but was a little too scared to take the NG, but finally did today, and voila ... he went straight to the hospital.

I'm thinking that if I go up there, I'll be swinging by the hospital that misdiagnosed him and poppin' them upside the damn head! :mad:
Wow, that is funny. I have esophogeal spasms and take nitro and most of the time they go right away. Granted sometimes it takes 2 NG's and 20 minutes but that is fairly rare.

crabcake

Pete said:
Wow, that is funny. I have esophogeal spasms and take nitro and most of the time they go right away. Granted sometimes it takes 2 NG's and 20 minutes but that is fairly rare.

You sure that's what it is? :eyebrow:

Dad's cath was put off till tomorrow now due to the number of them they had already scheduled and emergencies. So we're still standing by, waiting ... :tap: