Videography

Keeper

Hey, there, Southern Marylanders - are you interested in Video? Do you have experiences you can share? Equipment questions or stories? Techniques? Something you'd like to know or something you'd like to share? Well, go for it!!! Right here!!! Right now!!!

Bavarian

Working on copying some old 8mm video to the computer to edit. Have tried using my fancy SVHS with jog/shuttle wheel, but this is easier. It works better with my newer Digital-8 using firewire and Adobe Premiere Elemensts, but to use analog capture card have to use Roxio.
First I used regular 8mm film adding my own soundstripe myself and recording, then went to Super-8 sound film. Used seperate VHS recorder and camera, then camera with seperate 8 mm video recorder, finally using camcorders.
Any questions you have, I will try to answer.

Keeper

How are you doing that?

Wow!# I'm impressed.# My mom had some old 8 millimeter film reels and I had no idea how to capture that, so we set up the old screen and projector and she showed the videos and I set up my camera right in front of (just to the side of the old projector) the screen and recorded what was playing on the screen. My mom didn't always keep things focused, but she did pretty good and I was pretty happy with it. I'd have to say that the original footage wasn't really that perfect anyways.

I tried to understand the process you took, but I don't understand how you went from the old reels to a computer or something that would go into a computer. When I capture VHS tapes, I put them into a VHS player and hook that up to my Digital camera and record to a miniDV tape and then capture that with Adobe Premiere. It's the idea of getting the reels of film that I don't know about.

Bavarian

Maybe you misread/misunderstood my original post.
The 8mm video tapes I am copying to computer are video. 8mm is a size of video tape. Came out awhile back now, guess over 25 years ago to make small camcorders. Also, made 8mm video systems with tuner/timers to use like the older Beta and VHS, not to mention Sanyo V-cord and Quasar time machine and Cartrivision 1/2 inch home video recorders/players.
Last time I tried to watch my old 8mm and super 8mm FILM, the sound went out on projector, hadn't used it for quite a while. Now what I read in magazine was to adjust speed of projector off of standard to eliminate flicker, then once recorded, adjust speed back on computer. Of course, if you had bought the GOKO machine, it took care of it.

Since I was heavy into movie film, maybe my post was misread in that I was giving my film history. Sound striping, recording was on film. Remember how a magnetic stripe was glued to the side of the film?

Keeper

Ah ha

Oh, I see. I had captured the old 8 mm reels that were shown with the old Bell and Howell projector. Yes, I'm familiar with the new 8 mm. Now I understand.

I haven't captured anything from one of those cameras, but I'm getting ready to capture something for someone that is on tapes that are smaller than miniDV. I think they're Micron MV. Had to borrow the person's camera to capture. It looks like they're 60 minute tapes, too.

Bavarian

Looking thru Adobe site, they released Premiere Elements 4.0. $39=0 cheaper if upgrade from previous versions.
I like it better than ULEAD/Roxio but the current version 2.0 won't read from capture card for my old regular 8mm tapes that I am playing back on 8mm VCR. Works fine with digital 8, it uses the firewire and has timecode to break up scenes.

Keeper

Adobe Premiere Pro

I'm an Adobe Premiere Pro user, but I haven't updated from 1.5 yet. I'm way behind. It won't be long though. I love the newest and greatest toys and software for video editing, filming, etc. One of my computers has Matrox on it. I love the soft focus filter. Matrox is very unstable on my computer though and so I don't use it much anymore. One day I want to buy a new turnkey system with Adobe Premiere (whatever is the latest version) and Matrox already installed. I've heard that's the way to go. I've tried to find a plug-in that will let me do the soft focus filter. I think I may have figured out a way to get that look without the filter - using just Premiere Pro. I put a duplicate clip above the original. I put a black and white filter one and put a gaussian blur on the other that's very minimal and I also make it slightly transparent, so the layer beneath comes through. It ends up with a bit of glow and a bit of soft focus.

Shelley

Bavarian

I downloaded the 30 day free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, version 3.0.0latest edition. Wanted to see if worth the cost over elements. So far not enthused. Have not found way to control frame size in timeline, and the big problem, no way to burn a DVD. Website says it is to be done with Encore and Encore is included with this version. Tried to export file to Encore, but option is greyed out.
With Elements, DVD burning built in, and the best part, DVD preview, good for last view to see if I missed an edit.
Any idea on how you burn a DVD, want to see if it is improvement over Elements worth the $800 increase.

Last edited:
B

Bronwyn

I downloaded the 30 day free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, version 3.0.0latest edition. Wanted to see if worth the cost over elements. So far not enthused. Have not found way to control frame size in timeline, and the big problem, no way to burn a DVD. Website says it is to be done with Encore and Encore is included with this version. Tried to export file to Encore, but option is greyed out.
With Elements, DVD burning built in, and the best part, DVD preview, good for last view to see if I missed an edit.
Any idea on how you burn a DVD, want to see if it is improvement over Elements worth the $800 increase.

Maybe it is not an option due to the fact that it is a trial version??

Bavarian

I doubt I will spring for the extra $800. If I can't see whether or not the final product is better. Haven't seen anything that is an improvement over Elements. I think the biggest thing with Pro is the option to add plug-ins, for more money. Happy to have a chance to try it. On-line help not very helpful, tells me things I already figured out for myself.

Keeper

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, Version 3.0 Issues

I still use 1.5, but would love to try 3.0 or even 2.0. By adjusting frame size, do you mean for stills? Or do you m ean how many frames per second?

To change the frame size for stills coming into a project, you can go to Edit > Preferences > Still Image and make the number whatever you want. To edit the number of frames per second, you'd have to do that when you're creating a new project. I apologize if I'm way off base here. I know someone who always has the latest and greatest of everything for video. I'll email him and ask him about these issues.

As for authoring a DVD - that's a shame that you can't export straight to a DVD anymore. I didn't know that. I have only done that a couple of times though with my version. I usually export it to the encoder or as a movie and then open thoes with Encore. I'm finding some issues with exporting to MOVIE and then importing to Encore. For one, it doesn't create a separate file. For another, it messes with the timing of things. My titles are just flickers sometimes and some of the still images I use for montages and have timed to the beat of the music, are suddenly no longer in time to the music. They are even skipped completely. So I try to export to the Adobe Media Encoder most of the time. Once again, I apologize if I'm telling you something that you already know.

Shelley

B

Bronwyn

What time are we leaving for the film festival? Should we give a shout out for BVA here?

If there are any local videographers interested in meeting with the Baltimore Videographers Association, I highly remmomend it. I know it's a hike from southern maryland, but it's worth it.

Keeper

Update on Adobe Premiere Pro 3.0

I just got a call from the friend who uses the newest version. He said the free download won't let you burn straight to DVD, but the version you buy will. He said it's great and he wouldn't go back for anything. He couldn't believe that I don't have it yet. Money.

Okay. Hope that helps a little bit.

Bavarian

It is a shame they did not include the burning to DVD with the trial version. The ads all play up that Encore is included and you can go straight to it.
It is hard to judge whether or not the Premiere Pro is worth it if I don't see how to make the final DVD and watch it.
Tried today a title template, got memory warning, but just for one of them so far. Have 256M Ram, two hard drives, but not a dedicated computer.
Much seems the same as Preimiere Elements with regard to editing, titling and effects.
Thanks for the answers.