Doo Daa Deli Review Leonardtown

foodcritic

Scale of 1-10 with 10 being best.

I have stopped in once with the family for takeout.

Atmosphere: 8 Very clean and roomy. Again very clean, I can't stand when a place seems dirty.

Price: 6 price seemed pretty average.

Service: 7 The place seems to have a young work-force. In this case they seemed rather friendly and attentive.

Food quality: 5 The sandwiches were ok. Not bad but not great. They offered lots of different selections and toppings.

When I tried to place an order for an Italian sub I asked them to hold the mortadella. Needless to say the sandwich came with the mortadella.

The other problem I had was with the bread. My uncle (who was in the food business) once said "you can make a great sandwich but if it's on lousy bread it's going to be bad. Like wise you can make a OK sandwich on really good bread and it will be delicious.
Since moving to maryland 5 years ago I found how diffacult or impossible it is to find good bread.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
I have to disagree. I have eaten there several times. I find it to be very quaint and quite clean. The service was very good and the selection was reasonable. The deli features Boar’s Head brand meats and cheeses which are very delicious. .and they even offer vegetarian selections.

They have something for almost everyone, the eggplant parmesan sandwich was extremely unexpected but very delectable which was even better served on the grilled panini. The marinara sauce mingled with the melted cheese and the crispness of the bread was perfect. I do not say that often.

They have a few seafood selections too, that were really good, and the fish and chips with fries has a lot of bang for the buck. Battered and fried it is crispy and remained very juicy not at all dry and very flavorful.

Their menu is jammed packed with yummy things to choose from and even has a very inviting selection for the kiddies and well within most budgets.

Overall for the type of restaurant it is I would give it a 9

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
jbeaverjr said:
In response to your comments that you made, I have a few comments / questions of my own for you.
1.) Its Do Dah Deli, not Doo Daa Deli
2.) Stopping in once for takeout is not really a good way of judging the place. Try eating inside once.
3.) What certificates / experience do you have to make you a food critic, as your name says?
4.) How can you say the food quality was 5 and only complain about the bread.
5.) If you had a problem with your food did you call and ask to speak to the manager? I'm sure they would have compensated you for it. If you do not let people know about things how can they make it better.

Try them again and then post another comment. When you go back ask to speak to the owner or manager, and let them know you opinion about the food and service.

:yay: seems as if they do not like to answer

K

Kain99

Have you guys seen their new little shuttle bus??? I swear to God their marketer is a genius!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
jbeaverjr said:
4.) How can you say the food quality was 5 and only complain about the bread.
If everything else was a perfect 10 and the bread was a 1, they'd get a 1.

The bread is all. It's what makes a sandwich a sandwich.

Dukesdad

I have been three times since it opened and have not been real happy about the quality of the food or the service any of the times I have been.
I'll wait a while and try again...

wineo

loving life
Waited 45 min for a ch. burger and they didn't seem to care. We will probley not give them a chance again. Manager was rude, staff didn't seem to know what was going on for 6.95 you get nothing with your sandwhich or burger. Wish they had stayed small, big is not better sometimes.

foodcritic

More on Do Da

I forgot to mention this in my review but I read that others had a long wait. I also had a long wait for take out and the place was pretty empty. This place has lots of potential.

They need to utilize all that space to make an assembly line type of sandwich making process. I have seen that process work well in many sub shops.

For those who look forward to fried fish at a sub shop.... not much more I can say about that.

miaperry

Do Dah Deli

Hello everyone. I felt it time to jump in on this thread. My name is Maria and my family owns and operates Do Dah Deli. As of yesterday we were open a whole month. 4 short weeks. I will be the first to admit we have had some issues and have been working very hard at fixing them. If you visited in the first month I am sure you experienced our growing pains. You see as humans~ mistakes happen and you must learn by them and go on. We have learned and made adjustments. I would like to clarify some things..

We are NOT a SUB SHOP, therefore we will never have an assembly line. Our food is made TO ORDER. not manufactured and put aside waiting for it to be ordered.

We have FRESH bread delivered EVERYDAY from OTTENBERGS BAKERY. This is the only bread we have ever used, even in the little deli. In fact our customers even buy it by the loaf.

When food is ordered to the customers specification, it can take a while. We cook burgers to order, meaning if you want it WELL DONE. It will be a wait. The ground beef is raw when placed on the grill. Our burgers do NOT sit in a warming bin.

We use local produce as long as we can. We support our local farmers.

No, we are not like our "lil deli" We are bigger,better and different.

My family is still present EVERYDAY. If you have a comment,complaint,or a suggestion just ask for us. We are always willing to listen to our customers.

We believe in customer service. Even in the 21st century it is ok to TALK face to face. We cannot fix it if we do not know the problem.

And lastly, to ALL our customers thank you!!!! You wanted us back and you have made us feel loved...PEACE

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Everytime "foodcritic" posts, I have to completely disagree. I have had excellent food there each time I've gone. Yes, I have had to "wait" for my food, but everything that's fresh quality you do have to wait for regardless where you get it. If I wanted a sub shop I'd go to Subway - it's right down the road. I've ordered everything from the BBQ special of the day to a pastrami sandwich to a sub to chicken parmesean. Everything has been exactly what I asked for and the quality and taste has been excellent. Bread included.

This place is not a true "deli" and it's not a true "sandwich" shop. It's something unique and original and shouldn't be compared to anything fast food.

Food Critic, I have known true food critics who get paid for their time and reviews. Your reviews are subpar at best in comparision and you don't factor in all the details that make a true food critic worthy. Your reviews appear to be nothing but an attempt to kvitch. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with your user name which implies you know more. You don't.

I stopped in for the first time last Saturday. It was quiet, I was one of a small handful of patrons. Everyone was pleasant. Orders were taken and delivered correctly, everything was clean, I had no complaints. Ok, one. My steak and cheeze sub was too big to pick up and I had to use a knife and fork. I can live with that! Price vs quality vs quantity were well in line. I will be going back.

basher

LEET
miaperry said:
Hello everyone. I felt it time to jump in on this thread. My name is Maria and my family owns and operates Do Dah Deli. As of yesterday we were open a whole month. 4 short weeks. I will be the first to admit we have had some issues and have been working very hard at fixing them. If you visited in the first month I am sure you experienced our growing pains. You see as humans~ mistakes happen and you must learn by them and go on. We have learned and made adjustments. I would like to clarify some things..

:peace:
I went there over the weekend. Although my wife and I enjoyed our food, our 6 year old was shocked to see how small his boo boo burger was! :lmao:
Can you guys make them a little bigger, he can eat a double cheeseburger from McD's.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I went the first week they opened. Service and food was okay. It was very crowded, they had some a/c issues, and I did not get the proper change back; however, given their past reputation, I wll be back as soon as they work the bugs out. I loved their food at the old place.

Cletus_Vandam

I ate at the Deli a couple of times when it was opened the first time. Grabbed a sandwich, a pop and a bag of chips. I had no complaint over the service, cleanliness or quality of the food. My only complaint and main reason why I stopped going was the cost.

It cost something like $7, plus change for what I got and my biggest complaint was this was something I could make at home in the morning and take to work for about a third the cost. I started calling it the Don't Do Deli.

Before everyone starts, I know you have to pay for the service, the overhead, the atmosphere etc. It just wasn't worth it me. But that's my opinion; and you know what they say about opinions.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
miaperry said:

We are NOT a SUB SHOP, therefore we will never have an assembly line. Our food is made TO ORDER. not manufactured and put aside waiting for it to be ordered.

We have FRESH bread delivered EVERYDAY from OTTENBERGS BAKERY. This is the only bread we have ever used, even in the little deli. In fact our customers even buy it by the loaf.

When food is ordered to the customers specification, it can take a while. We cook burgers to order, meaning if you want it WELL DONE. It will be a wait. The ground beef is raw when placed on the grill. Our burgers do NOT sit in a warming bin.

We use local produce as long as we can. We support our local farmers.

No, we are not like our "lil deli" We are bigger,better and different.

My family is still present EVERYDAY. If you have a comment,complaint,or a suggestion just ask for us. We are always willing to listen to our customers.

We believe in customer service. Even in the 21st century it is ok to TALK face to face. We cannot fix it if we do not know the problem.

And lastly, to ALL our customers thank you!!!! You wanted us back and you have made us feel loved...PEACE

I love your place. I have never had any problems with it yet. Thanks for opening a line of communication.

Last edited:

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
migtig said:
Everytime "foodcritic" posts, I have to completely disagree. I have had excellent food there each time I've gone. Yes, I have had to "wait" for my food, but everything that's fresh quality you do have to wait for regardless where you get it. If I wanted a sub shop I'd go to Subway - it's right down the road. I've ordered everything from the BBQ special of the day to a pastrami sandwich to a sub to chicken parmesean. Everything has been exactly what I asked for and the quality and taste has been excellent. Bread included.

This place is not a true "deli" and it's not a true "sandwich" shop. It's something unique and original and shouldn't be compared to anything fast food.

Food Critic, I have known true food critics who get paid for their time and reviews. Your reviews are subpar at best in comparision and you don't factor in all the details that make a true food critic worthy. Your reviews appear to be nothing but an attempt to kvitch. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with your user name which implies you know more. You don't.

Amen, whoever they are, the do not know anything about food or how to write a review.

ServiceGuy

I have only been in twice since they opened. No problems the first visit and the second visit things did seem to be going a little slow, However the staff asked me many times about my order and checked to see what was keeping it. My only complaint is that they WAY to much cheese on those Double Dog Dare Ya Dogs. :drool:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Well I just got home from running my errands and I noticed that the Old Ben's/ Ann & Tony's of Ridge which has been under renovation for over the last year has two sign's up on the buliding. The one over top I did not read, but the one to the side was for "The Do Dah Deli of Ridge" Anyone have any info on this? Is the one in L-town still open?