Robert Jordan, author of Wheel of Time...

Toxick

Splat
... James Oliver Rigney, Jr. died yesterday succumbing to his cardiac amaloydosis.

He was a good man and a great author.

Apparently the 12th and final book will still be published (likely to be finished by his cousin Wilson, a la Christopher Tolkein), however I'm still saddened by the fact that he didn't live to enjoy the satisfaction of putting the final touches on his life's work, or attend one last Wheel of Time book-signing.

I've been readling Wheel of Time since 1990, still fresh out of high school, with no facial hair, and no muscle-tone. The WOT has been a part of my life for 17 years, encompassing my entire journey from dishwasher to software engineer, as well as acquiring one wife and three children. I've read the series about 6 times during those years, and I've been anticipating this last book for all 17 of those years.

I had also been looking forward to his next series, which he was going to write after WOT was finished. I'll guess we'll never see a word of it. Another sadness on top of sadness.

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:
:bawl: I just finished rereading the series.

I was going to start after this semester. The final book had been slated for publication in 2009, and I figured a year to re-read the entire series (between work, school, kids, etc.) in preparation for the last book.

The bummer is, I've been keeping up with Jordan's status, and the status of the new book on dragonmount.com (don't bother going there now, the site is completely overrun, and I have yet to be able to get on), and by all accounts Jordan appeared to be on top of things. According to his cousin, Wilson, "his numbers" were good (I guessed that amaloydosis is gauged by some sort of numeric value), and there was some talk about treating his readers to a look at the prologue. This was just last week. I figure that he died after a very rapid downward spiral.

Toxick said:
... James Oliver Rigney, Jr. died yesterday succumbing to his cardiac amaloydosis.

He was a good man and a great author.

Apparently the 12th and final book will still be published (likely to be finished by his cousin Wilson, a la Christopher Tolkein), however I'm still saddened by the fact that he didn't live to enjoy the satisfaction of putting the final touches on his life's work, or attend one last Wheel of Time book-signing.

I've been readling Wheel of Time since 1990, still fresh out of high school, with no facial hair, and no muscle-tone. The WOT has been a part of my life for 17 years, encompassing my entire journey from dishwasher to software engineer, as well as acquiring one wife and three children. I've read the series about 6 times during those years, and I've been anticipating this last book for all 17 of those years.

I had also been looking forward to his next series, which he was going to write after WOT was finished. I'll guess we'll never see a word of it. Another sadness on top of sadness.
:tantrum

Cousin best finish the darn book! I haven't spent the last 17 years reading these things to stop now.

RIP RJ.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
He was such a rare storyteller. The background, the descriptions, the characters, I can't think of another, other than Tolkien, to weave such a rich fabric.

Toxick

Splat
huntr1 said:
:tantrum

Cousin best finish the darn book! I haven't spent the last 17 years reading these things to stop now.

RIP RJ.

Well from the words of Wilson himself on last week's blog entry, he said that Robert sat down and verbally told him and Harriet (Jordan's wife), in detail, the remainder of the story straight through to the end.

Jordan has also said on numerous occasions that the end of the book is already written (although, I don't think it was physically written.. he meant it was written in his head - that's the impression I got from the context), and that there's enough notes that anyone could come in and find out all they need to know.

Jordan has also stated on numerous occasions that there were orders that upon his death, his computer was to be destroyed, and his notes were to be burned.

Let's hope he was being humorous.

Toxick

Splat
Scheduled for publication by Tor Books in early 2009 [1], it was
intended to conclude the series, which began in 1990 with The Eye of
the World. On September 16, 2007, Robert Jordan died from amyloidosis.
[2] Before his death, Jordan stated "I'm getting out notes, so if the
worst actually happens, someone could finish A Memory of Light and
have it end the way I want it to end." The decision to posthumously
complete the book has been left to his wife Harriet and Tor Books
president Tom Doherty.[1]

There it is.