Vasectomy Reversal Questions

BillnChristi

There are several questions I have concerning this and I am hoping someone out there has had it done.

My wife and I have decided that we would love to have a kid together. Unfortunately, after have 3 kids from previous relationships I had a vasectomy over 10 years ago. It is my understanding that the longer you wait, the least likely the reversal will be successful. We called our Health Insurance Company and they WILL NOT cover any cost of the procedure. So I got on the phone and called a few Doctors in the area and got some estimates on the procedure. I was told the average cost could be around $3000 not including the cost for the hospital. That is just the doctors fee. But I was told that I would need to come in for a consultation to get a better cost estimate and get a better idea on the percentages of the procedure being successful. The only problem I had was that they would charge me $300-$500 just for the consultation. To me this is just throwing money away if the procedure is nearly impossible to be a success.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone had a vasectomy reversal and what was the outcome?

2. Are there other options such as extracting sperm and then doing and invetro (I hope that's what it is called) on my wife?

3. Is it worth it to pay the $500 for the consultation?

Any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are other options such as adoptions, foster parenting and so on. We would just like to try to have one that is ours first if it is at all possible.

Thanks for reading

BillnChristi

aps45819 said:
Aren't you paying enough child support?

LOL..yeah I am paying enough in child support. I know that this one is right though. We also know that this is probably not going to happen anyways because it has been so long since I had the vasectomy.

Adoption is definitely an option. We are thinking of getting involved with Fostering first.

MMDad

Lem Putt
When I got snipped, the Dr. made sure I was aware of the cost to reverse it so that I could make an informed decision. He said it would cost at least $10K to reverse, and even then the odds of success were far less than 50%.

It is a far more invasive surgery since they have to find the lose ends, then connect them well enough for them to grow together afterward. You still risk having the scar tissue block the tube. There are also all of the risks associated with any surgery.

I can't imagine spending thousands of $$$ and risking my health for the off chance it would work.

Personally, I think it is a bit less than ethical for a doctor to even perform the reversal.

Last edited:

Geek

BillnChristi said:
There are several questions I have concerning this and I am hoping someone out there has had it done.

My wife and I have decided that we would love to have a kid together. Unfortunately, after have 3 kids from previous relationships I had a vasectomy over 10 years ago. It is my understanding that the longer you wait, the least likely the reversal will be successful. We called our Health Insurance Company and they WILL NOT cover any cost of the procedure. So I got on the phone and called a few Doctors in the area and got some estimates on the procedure. I was told the average cost could be around $3000 not including the cost for the hospital. That is just the doctors fee. But I was told that I would need to come in for a consultation to get a better cost estimate and get a better idea on the percentages of the procedure being successful. The only problem I had was that they would charge me $300-$500 just for the consultation. To me this is just throwing money away if the procedure is nearly impossible to be a success.

2. Are there other options such as extracting sperm and then doing and invetro (I hope that's what it is called) on my wife?

I know there are other options such as adoptions, foster parenting and so on. We would just like to try to have one that is ours first if it is at all possible.

Thanks for reading

Adopted children should be considered "ours" as well.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Geek said:
Adopted children should be considered "ours" as well.
:yeahthat: Adopt a child that needs a home. It's not likely to happen for you naturally anyway... and in vitro is quite expensive and doesn't always work too and not all insurances cover that either.

yankee44

Went through the reversal prosses (painful as hell 3 hour surgery) I worked but befor the wife got pregnent the scar tissue formed back. Did Invetro and had the stuff taken straight from the source. that was the most painful thing that I have ever been through......Worth it though have a beutiful baby boy now 2 1/2.

PJumper

BillnChristi said:

Thanks for reading

Did you get tied or snipped? If you're snipped and have any leakage(internal from the cut ends), then forget it. Your immune system will treat your sperm as foreign organism and attack it. Invitro is an option, but expensive. A few clinics advertizes success or money back guaranty. If you can afford it, having a child together with your new wife will be worth every penny, I believe.

Geek

yankee44 said:
Went through the reversal prosses (painful as hell 3 hour surgery) I worked but befor the wife got pregnent the scar tissue formed back. Did Invetro and had the stuff taken straight from the source. that was the most painful thing that I have ever been through......Worth it though have a beutiful baby boy now 2 1/2.

I am sure it was much more painful than giving birth :bigwhoop: Try sticking a deflated basketball up your ass, pump it up and crap it out. Then get back to us ladies about pain.

Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

Geek said:
I am sure it was much more painful than giving birth :bigwhoop: Try sticking a deflated basketball up you ass, pump it up and crap it out. Then get back to us ladies about pain.
AMEN!

smoothmarine187

BillnChristi said:

Thanks for reading

:doh: