Disney World

Tina2001aniT

The trip is finally ALMOST here, we will be leaving next week. Any must sees? I have been a few times, but it's nice to hear what others consider "must sees"

mainman

Set Trippin
Tina2001aniT said:
The trip is finally ALMOST here, we will be leaving next week. Any must sees? I have been a few times, but it's nice to hear what others consider "must sees"
Shouldn't this have been a PM to Geek? :shrug:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I would like to bring my son (just him and I to Disney World here in the next month or so. Is it expensive? Do you recommmend buying a package deal or buying everything individually?GEEK where are you: I have Disney questions

Gwydion

You should really really really plan out your usage of.....whatever those tickets are called where you get one, then move ot the front of the line.

My fiance and I went down there last summer and we never had to wait in line for more than 25 minutes, even though the lines were a good 90 minutes long.

Besides all the normal rides you would go to, check out Dinosaur (don't recall which park its in). It looks kinda dumb from the outside, but it was our favorite ride.

Don't waste your time on the.....Avalanche (once again can't recall the name...the one with the yeti in Animal Kingdom), unless you can get in without waiting more than 30 minutes. Its really really not worth it, IMO. Its basically an inside rollercoaster that goes forward and backwards.

The Kilaminjaro Safari was a lot of fun, all the animals were very active when we drove by...although with it cooling off a bit, I don't know if they put away some of the animals.

My favorite spot out of the whole franchise is Epcot's Around the World. Absolutely amazing, and the food is to die for.

And go to all the night shows. the one in the Magic Kingdom is absolutely AMAZING.

Where are you staying? In one of the resort hotels?

Tina2001aniT

Gwydion said:
You should really really really plan out your usage of.....whatever those tickets are called where you get one, then move ot the front of the line.

My fiance and I went down there last summer and we never had to wait in line for more than 25 minutes, even though the lines were a good 90 minutes long.

Besides all the normal rides you would go to, check out Dinosaur (don't recall which park its in). It looks kinda dumb from the outside, but it was our favorite ride.

Don't waste your time on the.....Avalanche (once again can't recall the name...the one with the yeti in Animal Kingdom), unless you can get in without waiting more than 30 minutes. Its really really not worth it, IMO. Its basically an inside rollercoaster that goes forward and backwards.

The Kilaminjaro Safari was a lot of fun, all the animals were very active when we drove by...although with it cooling off a bit, I don't know if they put away some of the animals.

My favorite spot out of the whole franchise is Epcot's Around the World. Absolutely amazing, and the food is to die for.

And go to all the night shows. the one in the Magic Kingdom is absolutely AMAZING.

We are staying in Port Orleans French Quarter. We are going 6 adults and 5 children. We have already made reservations fora princess lunch, character breakfast, and reservations at a restaurant (I forgot the name) to get priority seating for fantasmic.

I love epcot's around the world as well.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Gwydion said:

They don't put away in animals, when we go in December they are all out and active.
Mt Everest is great, I thought it was worth the wait

rack'm

Jaded
Gwydion said:

Yea, but the Express Pass at $36 a head is :faint:

Last edited:

Gwydion

sanchezf said:
I would like to bring my son (just him and I to Disney World here in the next month or so. Is it expensive? Do you recommmend buying a package deal or buying everything individually?GEEK where are you: I have Disney questions

After everything was said and done, it cost me and my fiance just under $2k to go for 7 days. That is including everything, plane tickets, hotel, food, gifts, etc. etc.

We stayed at one of the resort hotels, and while it wasn't all inclusive by any means, it did offer shuttles to and from all the parks, it had a pool, hot tub, restaurant, etc.

We only went to the park 4 days, one of the days we hung out at the pool and another we went around from resort hotel to resort hotel. We even rented a boat from one of the nice ones to take out for awhile.

And of course, there is Downtown Disney, which doesn't require tickets to get into...lots of shops and restaurants. Wolfgang Puck has a restaurant there, with some great food.

Tina2001aniT said:

A "must see" for one isn't always the same for all. For me, as lame as it is, and for as many times as I've seen it, Pirates of the Caribbean is always a "must see" for me. I get such a kick out of it....

We also made out own little tour. We called it "Beers Around the World". Started in Epcot at Canada, and had a drink at each nation as we walked around. By the time we got to Japan, the hot saki did me in.......

Gwydion

Tina2001aniT said:
We are staying in Port Orleans French Quarter. We are going 6 adults and 5 children. We have already made reservations fora princess lunch, character breakfast, and reservations at a restaurant (I forgot the name) to get priority seating for fantasmic.

I love epcot's around the world as well.

Thats where we stayed as well. The only annoying thing about that is if you take the busses, going TO Disneyland you have to make an extra 4 stops at Port Orleans Riverside, which adds an extra 15 minutes to your ride in the morning. On the plus side, you get dropped off first at the end of the day. But with going to 5 different stops across two resorts, the busses can get packed very very quickly.

@ whoever mentioned it costs $36 for the pass, it is SO worth it. If I am going to be spending $2k for a vacation, I might as well spend another $72 to get on an extra 20 rides.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Skip going into the bog golf ball at Epcot. It's still boring.

The test drive and Mission Space were decent. We like the Mexican restaurant in Epcot. The Ceviche was good.

Our room was on the Magic Kingdom end of the Contemporary near the top, so the fireworks show was as good as it gets.

The kids loved the character meals, but I didn't enjoy any of them.

K

kris31280

LOVE me a Disney vacation. My best friend works for them, so it's never been an issue with my getting gate passes.

The one show that is a MUST see is Fantasmic at MGM. I'd recommend doing a "Fantasmic" dining, which gets you really awesome seats for the show. It is, hands down, the best show any of the Orlando Disney parks puts on.

I liked Spaceship Earth at Epcot, and Test Track is pretty great.

The Tower of Terror is probably the best ride at MGM, but MGM was great all around.

Walt Disney World is great for it's timelessness, and it really will make you feel like a kid again.

If you get the chance, go to Universal Islands of Adventure. The Cat in the Hat ride always makes me sick, though (it's just that one room with everything spinning!) The Dueling Dragons was awesome too because we sat in the front seats and saw how close to hitting eachother we were.

Universal Studios is always fun. I haven't really been there to see all of the sites since about 1995, but in 2001 the sites that were open during the Halloween Horror Nights were still pretty great.

Have fun! We're taking my son in 3 years.

MMDad

Lem Putt
kris31280 said:
I liked Spaceship Earth at Epcot,
You are the first person I've ever seen that likes that ride. I just can't imagine a ride being more boring. Watching mannequins watching TV? Why bother?

twobit

MMDad said:
You are the first person I've ever seen that likes that ride. I just can't imagine a ride being more boring. Watching mannequins watching TV? Why bother?
Maybe she's confused with Mission Space?

bobbyb

Port Orleans French Quarter is great. We have stayed there at least three times. Make sure you take the boats to Downtown Disney, Upgrade to the Park Hopper passes they really help.

Nextel works everywhere in the parks. Don't wait in line with the kids for the rides, go shopping then the kids won't have to. Have the shops send all the stuff back to your room for you no charge, then you won't have to carry it around.

Go to all the 3D shows especially the one at Animal Kingdom ( the only good thing about Animal Kingdom)

bobbyb said:
Have the shops send all the stuff back to your room for you no charge, then you won't have to carry it around.

They also will ship your stuff home directly via UPS. You never have to carry it.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Here's a good article for first timers

I love the allears.net website for all information Disney related

You're going to have such a great trip. This Sunday at 2 or 4 on the Travel Channel they have a couple of hour long Disney shows coming on. Don't try to over do yourself, you'll never see it all or do it all so just accept it. We pick out 4 must do rides at any park (that includes local theme parks as well) and once we've done them everything else is just icing on the cake.

Make sure you take lots of pictures so you'll be able to remember your trip.

BTW, 211 days until we arrive at Fort Wilderness, it's sad to think about that being soo far away
:bawl: