WIC Provides "Farmers Market Food Coupons"

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Low-Income Mothers & Senior Citizens: WIC Provides "Farmers Market Food Coupons"

You may already know about WIC—"Women, Infants, and Children," the government program that provides nutritional assistance to "low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women," and to their children up to age five. But a lot of people don't know that if you receive WIC or if you're a low-income senior, you may also qualify for their farmers market program, which means you can take advantage of the same fresh-from-the-farm bounty as those coke-snorting yuppies who'll buy anything with the word "heirloom" stamped across it.
LINK

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What a great idea! I used to get WIC when my ex was in the Army, and we didn't get fresh fruit or veggies. Just beans, milk, peanut butter, cereal, etc.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
vraiblonde said:
What a great idea! I used to get WIC when my ex was in the Army, and we didn't get fresh fruit or veggies. Just beans, milk, peanut butter, cereal, etc.

I spent most of my service overseas and never realized that there were military families who had to rely on WIC to get by. I wonder if that still is the case?

camily

Peace
When I got WIC I used these coupons. They were great! I often bought lg. amounts then blanched and froze them. Lasted all year!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
nhboy said:
I spent most of my service overseas and never realized that there were military families who had to rely on WIC to get by. I wonder if that still is the case?

It is still the case for military families. Some choose to use WIC and others do not.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
WIC is a great program because it genuinely helps, it's managed to prevent cheating and it's available to almost anyone with kids. I like the Farmers MArket coupon program even better...

It averages about 100 dollars a month or more, especially if you are getting formula. THat makes a dent in the food budget, for sure.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
nhboy said:

When my daughter was a baby they had check pick-ups on base at Pax. Good program. Was the only thing I qualified for with my income but made a world of difference.