International Scout or Ford Bronco?

International Scout or Ford Bronco

• Total voters

SJSWING

I am looking to get a new vehicle in the next couple of months and have started looking for a full size big old SUV. What would you recommend?
International Scout
International Scout II
Full Size Ford Bronco?

I am looking to pull a boat with it that weighs around 9000 pounds with the trailer. Are there any ideas as to which one I should get and what I should make sure is installed before purchasing it?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

R

RadioPatrol

SJSWING said:
I am looking to get a new vehicle in the next couple of months and have started looking for a full size big old SUV. What would you recommend?
International Scout
International Scout II
Full Size Ford Bronco?

I am looking to pull a boat with it that weighs around 9000 pounds with the trailer. Are there any ideas as to which one I should get and what I should make sure is installed before purchasing it?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

For a Trailer that large you want something with a longer wheelbase - look for an IH Travelall ?

early SUV , was probably listed like the Jeep Wagoneer as a Station Wagon

they turn up on Ebay From time to Time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969...ryZ31846QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or an even older classic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964...ryZ31846QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe a Scout - it does not look to short:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/One-...ryZ84157QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but scout / II 's / 800's & Early Bronco's are getting very collectiable - read expensive

my boss had an 81 bronco that we used to pull a construction trailer w/ bobcat

Specs: 460 Edlebrock 1405 Carb and Performer RPM Intake, Dual Exhaust ... 33 x 12.5 x 15 tires fit with only helper springs in back - no rubbing after that

( yes i got the truck and 4 wheeled it )

had stock exhaust manifolds feeding dual exhaust sucked when I had to put cats on it, this was b4 Hi Flow Cats were $89 bucks - cost me $ 500 back in 1996, L&L Motor Mounts - but I think stock PU ones would have fit - I put a 100 amp Alt from a E-350 on her

the 460 is supposed to be a drop in, bolt right up to the C6 but someone posted recently that was not the case, if not a C6 from a 4x4 PU and X-fer should work ............

the only thing to worry about with a short wheel base tow vehicle is bob tail ...

:snacks:

Last edited by a moderator:

SJSWING

I am really liking the looks of it. I can only imagine it with a 3 inch lift and some nice mud tires on it. I was able to pull up the first link, but for some reason ebay would not let me pull up the second. But I am thinking that would be a nice one as well.

If there was no the option of pulling the boat, what would you recommend as the vehicle of choice?

R

RadioPatrol

SJSWING said:
I am really liking the looks of it. I can only imagine it with a 3 inch lift and some nice mud tires on it. I was able to pull up the first link, but for some reason ebay would not let me pull up the second. But I am thinking that would be a nice one as well.

If there was no the option of pulling the boat, what would you recommend as the vehicle of choice?

the only issue you really need be aware of is going over bumps, short wb vehicles tend to bob hence the bobtail comment ........

I have heard of them bobing right off the road ... it sets up a harmonic rocking motion ......... that can cause a loss of control ......

maybe a cheap wagoneer they have a longer wheelbase, build it like you want it ...... it all depends on your $$ flow ........

you can build a nice 360 for towing, and the 727 Torqueflite is a great Transmission

poke around www.ifsj.org and see what people are doing to their Waggy's

67 Wagoneer - Needs Raditor makes it hard to get back from Cali - the 327 is a Buick V8 / TH 400 / Dana 20? transfer case

if your a fan of Stacy David - used to host Trucks now host Gearz on ESPN - he did a Cherokee Chief - 2 door waggy .........

:snacks:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I've got an 84 K-5 Blazer with 7"s of lift and a motor from a corvette in it... :whistle: And it's for sale :yay:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
most half ton trucks are not rated but to 10,000 lbs cgvw so 4800lb truck with 9000 lb boat plus peop and gear 14,700 lbs technically requires a 3/4 ton or better. Not that I havent been known to exceed the cgvw but its illegal and can be dangerous

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Dougstermd said:
most half ton trucks are not rated but to 10,000 lbs cgvw so 4800lb truck with 9000 lb boat plus peop and gear 14,700 lbs technically requires a 3/4 ton or better. Not that I havent been known to exceed the cgvw but its illegal and can be dangerous
My cousin was pulling a 34 ft camper with a Durango :lmao: The day he bought it he didn't even have a brake controller. I don't know why the place even let us pull out of there :lmao: We made it, even though it pushed us through the first couple of stoplights :lmao:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Magnum said:
My cousin was pulling a 34 ft camper with a Durango :lmao: The day he bought it he didn't even have a brake controller. I don't know why the place even let us pull out of there :lmao: We made it, even though it pushed us through the first couple of stoplights :lmao:

I towed my 31foot center console with twin 225's to and from new jersey several times with no brake controller with an 83 f150 with marginal brakes :ummscary:

SJSWING

Magnum said:

Yeah I know what you mean, I currently have a 2005 F-150 that I pull the boat with. It will do the job without a brake controller, but I just make sure that I leave enough room for it to stop.

SJSWING

Magnum said:
I've got an 84 K-5 Blazer with 7"s of lift and a motor from a corvette in it... :whistle: And it's for sale :yay:

Sounds pretty Fierce, but i am really starting to like the sounds of it, have any pics?

SJSWING

RadioPatrol said:

Thanks for the links, I had forgotten all about the old Jeeps. Just don't see that many of them, guess I will start looking that route as well. I do know that the vehicle does not have to pull the boat, I could always find someone to pull it for me(as it is only 2 times a year) or could always rent a truck from united.

I just like the looks of the older SUV's (i.e scout, bronco, wagoner) you don't find too many of them on the road, and there is numerous things you can do to them over time to make them look nice.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
SJSWING said:
Sounds pretty Fierce, but i am really starting to like the sounds of it, have any pics?
Here's a couple. I did a lot of work to it, 4.56 gears locker in the rear, 38" swampers, trans cooler ton of stuff

Attachments

• 030706_151539.jpg
    030706_151539.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 88
  • 030706_151608.jpg
    030706_151608.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 83
Dougstermd said:

I have a GMC 1500, 4.8 litre V-8, rated for 7700, but I have trouble making a consistent 60 mph on the highway towing a 6x12 box trailer with the GoldWing in it, maybe 2500 lbs gross. I wouldn't even want to try pulling the full rating.