Large Turkeys...and Xmas Lights in April

Gunn317

It's April now.

Thanksgiving was 5 months ago.
Christmas was 4 months ago.

Yet what do I get to see each and every day I drive to work on the side of the road, but one very large stuffed turkey, a fleet of snowman and a fence full of Christmas lights! No, I don't think I've gone crazy or over the top, its for real man.

You know what I'm talking about. Any of you that drive on Rt. 5 at the corner of Chingville Rd have seen it.

Now yes, the two large dirty slumped over snowmen were removed a little over a month ago (it finally got warm enough for 'em to leave I 'spose). And then, the little snowman going horseback on the huge turkey was removed a few days ago...hallelujah! But the turkey remains!! What's up with that? But now, holding the reins of the turkey is a stupid bunny....yet Easter is now over too.

I'm making light of this, but on a more serious note, what is wrong with these people? There were the same one's that last year had a snowmen up until July. It only disappeared because I think someone finally stole them. And you can still see evidence of this becuase the people that owned the place painted right on their very own fence a few phrases to that fact. It's ridiculous. They live in a house that many people see each and every day. You'd think they would take a bit of pride in it and try to keep it neat and clean...and keep the decorations consistent with the season. Yet the way they come out looking like the lazy bums that they are who don't give a hoot to the landscape of Souther Maryland.

Anyone else feel the way I do? :)

Gunn,
Take a chill pill.  These folks aren't hurting anyone.  I'm sure they go to a lot of trouble to create these holiday decorations and very possibly don't have any place to store them once the season is over.  

Compare them to someone who collects junk cars in their front yard, never mows their yard or even has old furniture in their yard.  Aren't decorations, even out-of-season, better than that?  We have plenty of county residents who display junk in their yards, so let's not get in a tizzy about these nice folks.  :clap:

M Bucker

I agree with Gunn.  To me (and others I know) these people just look lazy.  And as far as going through a lot of trouble to create these decorations...HA.  They filled up a couple of "white trash" bags with newspaper and throw them on their lawn as snowmen (real creative), then they're too lazy to take them down after the winter.  

:boo:  Here's my vote!!!!!

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Gunn, I know exactly which house you are talking about and I think you are a little over the top complaining about it.  
Teddy is right - they are not hurting you or anyone else in SoMD and they have the right to put whatever decorations they want in thier yard for as long as they want!  I think we already had the discussion about Christmas lights so I won't even go there!
I do not know the couple personally, but if they are as lazy of bums as you say they would not bother creating or displaying the decorations as they do.  They are probably an elderly couple who just know that kids in the area - especially the ones who ride the bus past thier house every morning - enjoy what they do.  So instead of complaining about it  - why don't you stop by and ask them if they need any help taking down or putting up the next round of decorations???

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I have to agree with Gunn, too.  There' s a house going south on 235 around Oraville right on the side of the road filled with  those icicle lights and a big star on the second floor wall.  It looks trashy.  But you just have to realize that there are people who take the time to do this and say, why take them down when I have to put them back up again next year.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I have to agree with Gunn, too.  There' s a house going south on 235 around Oraville right on the side of the road filled with  those icicle lights and a big star on the second floor wall.  It looks trashy.  But you just have to realize that there are people who take the time to do this and say, why take them down when I have to put them back up again next year.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm always amused by "eccentric" houses, where they have weird decorations in their yard and Christmas lights year round.  Whenever I see a house like that, I always want to go knock on the door and meet the owners.  I guess one person's "trashy" is another person's "charming".

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Yeah, maybe it looks trashy, but it gives me a little giggle whenever I drive by. I also like the house on Rt 5 near the college that has everything imaginable in their front yard - they have, like, six grills lined up next to each other! What a hoot!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I have to agree that it looks bad to leave the decorations up all year, but as a homeowner I have every right to do that if I wanted.  I personally think its trashy and lazy, but who am I to judge?  As a neighbor, I would have a real problem with it since it can lower the property value of neighbors but since I am no their neighbor it doesn't affect me.  I think that if it really bothers someone then they should write a letter or ask them directly why they do it or to remove them.  How would you feel if your home was on a public forum for everyone to read?  

I bought my home with the knowledge that I could do with it what I wanted and decorate or live any way I want to. I take great pride in my home and keep it clean and tidy but everyone is different.  Perhaps they are unaware of what other people think or maybe they just don't care.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I'd love to see the bunny holding the reins on that turkey, although I'd be likely to have an accident from the tears of laughing so hard as I drive by.  Icicle lights..."white trash-bag" snowmen...lawn junk (oops..decorations)--bring 'em on, last I checked this is still the land of the free.  If this is the type of stuff that gets your blood pressure up you, should count your blessings that you don't have bigger worries.  Ya gotta admit it's a lot more interesting than those cookie-cutter neighborhoods where every house looks just like the one next to it.  As Roseanne Roseanneadanna would say, "Well if it ain't one thing, it's another."  

Christy

b*tch rocket
G-d dang it Vrai!  Blankety blank cuss words!  You always friggin beat me to the punch!  I love it when people leave their crap up.  It gives me a good chuckle on my drive home!  And people who do that are probably way less stressed than all of us.  I mean, is it insane or what that we get spun up over Christmas lights! :)

Alright, here's my early New Year's resolution.  If I get the time to put up Christmas lights next year, they're staying up!

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Weird stuff on the side of the road makes the boring commute a little more interesting! (And we can all use a laugh, right??) Sometimes I can give people better directions to my house by using the weirdness as a good visual reference – "just make your first left after the house with the 150 blow-up Easter bunnies in the front yard." (Those of you who are familiar with the house on Rt. 231 in Prince Frederick will know what I mean...)

So just think of them as interesting diversions, rather than insults on the landscape. I want to meet the folks responsible, because they're probably as interesting as their yard! About the only "lawn ornaments" I find annoying are the scripture quote signs (usually in a series of 3 or more) that rather than being inspirational, threaten us with crytic messages of eternal damnation. I get a strong urge to drive onto the shoulder and just take 'em out...

Maybe we can just keep a thread going that highlights the tackiest stuff we can find!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Years ago when I moved to Maryland, I was living in the Ranch Club and there was a house on Catalina Drive whose yard was COMPLETELY full of lawn ornaments.  Little Dutch boy & girl, wishing wells, bird baths, knomes, frogs, flamingos, polar bears and alligators on chains (I guess so they couldn't get away)... and the list goes on.....   :lol: