Sick Children, Working Moms

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Teachers tell researchers they've never seen so many children coming to school sick. Guilt-ridden mothers share stories of sending ailing kids to day care or school out of fear that staying home with them would result in discipline on the job.

These stories don't surprise me. But what was startling was hearing how many kids drag themselves to school sick to keep a parent from losing pay or getting fired.

I first became aware of this three years ago at a 9to5 leadership conference in Washington, DC. Members were getting ready to tell their elected officials why they need paid sick days--something half the workforce, and three-quarters of low-wage women, do not have. For these workers, staying home to care for one's own illness or a sick family member could mean not only loss of pay, but loss of a job.
LINK

nhboy said:
Teachers tell researchers they've never seen so many children coming to school sick. Guilt-ridden mothers share stories of sending ailing kids to day care or school out of fear that staying home with them would result in discipline on the job.

These stories don't surprise me. But what was startling was hearing how many kids drag themselves to school sick to keep a parent from losing pay or getting fired.

I first became aware of this three years ago at a 9to5 leadership conference in Washington, DC. Members were getting ready to tell their elected officials why they need paid sick days--something half the workforce, and three-quarters of low-wage women, do not have. For these workers, staying home to care for one's own illness or a sick family member could mean not only loss of pay, but loss of a job.
LINK
Yep. Most contractors I've worked for have policies that say an employee's sick leave can only be used when the employee is sick. It can't be used so that the employee can care for a family member or any other loved one. Violation of this rule is grounds for dismissal.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Yep. Most contractors I've worked for have policies that say an employee's sick leave can only be used when the employee is sick. It can't be used so that the employee can care for a family member or any other loved one. Violation of this rule is grounds for dismissal.
I don't think mine is that way, but then again, I am lucky to have a very healthy child. :knockwood:

RoseRed said:
I don't think mine is that way, but then again, I am lucky to have a very healthy child. :knockwood:
I'll betcha it's written that way in your handbook. Not all companies require an employee to prove they are sick when they use sick leave, but they usually have an out in writing if the so chose to terminate an employee for abusing it.

Pete

Repete
kwillia said:
You work for a sucky company. Mine gives you 20 vacation days and 6 personal days. No such thing as "sick days"

Pete said:
You work for a sucky company. Mine gives you 20 vacation days and 6 personal days. No such thing as "sick days"
I work for a wonderful company. Ours does that now. They switched over a few years ago, but prior to that... and in the case of other companies... it was documented in the handbook that sick leave was for the employee only.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
I work for a wonderful company. Ours does that now. They switched over a few years ago, but prior to that... and in the case of other companies... it was documented in the handbook that sick leave was for the employee only.

It doesn't say in regards to family members. It may have been updated, I have a 3 y/o copy.

RoseRed said:
It doesn't say in regards to family members. It may have been updated, I have a 3 y/o copy.
BTW, Pete already pointed out that 'personal leave' is something completely different than "sick leave" so those who get personal leave rather than sick leave don't even have to bother looking it up. If your current handbook isn't specific, than I would think you'd have an out if they tried to use that as grounds to fire you. Keep in mind that the company's current handbook is the one that counts in court... even if an employee has an older version that they are always going by when the look up policy. I remember reading a case study about that a few years ago.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
BTW, Pete already pointed out that 'personal leave' is something completely different than "sick leave" so those who get personal leave rather than sick leave don't even have to bother looking it up. If your current handbook isn't specific, than I would think you'd have an out if they tried to use that as grounds to fire you. Keep in mind that the company's current handbook is the one that counts in court... even if an employee has an older version that they are always going by when the look up policy. I remember reading a case study about that a few years ago.
Good thing Bug was gone all weekend and not exposed to my cold. :yay:

Southern Belle

nhboy said:

LINK

I'm sure these companies have heard of the Family Medical Leave Act. If not, you can make them aware of it. Have them visit this website: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/. You are allowed to miss work to care for a sick family member. You CANNOT be fired.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
One factor that has not been mentioned is school attendance policies. I know in Calvert it does not matter if they are excused or unexcused, you miss x days during the school year, you fail regardless of grades.

Good policy if you have a kid trying to stay home from school all the time, bad if they just happen to catch every little bug going around.

I know I had major issues with migraines one year in HS, and the vice principal would not let me just lay down in the health room until dismissal. My mother had to be on the way or they just sent me back to class. One time my mother was home with the flu and a 101 fever and they still refused to let me stay in the health room. Needless to say, I missed the bus because I was in the girl's bathroom conversing with my friend Ralph. If mom had had the strength she would have choked that little idgit VP.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
kwillia said:
No lie! Sounds like the whole lot of you sat in infected bird poop on :gossip: deck. :shocking:
I thought I was getting a cold, but guess it was allergies. I think their section of the deck had the virus.

DQ2B

Southern Belle said:
I'm sure these companies have heard of the Family Medical Leave Act. If not, you can make them aware of it. Have them visit this website: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/. You are allowed to miss work to care for a sick family member. You CANNOT be fired.

Note: the law only applies to companies with 50 or more employees.

Southern Belle said:
That has absolutely nothing to do with how the company defines the legal use of their sick leave. Companies are not required to pay you for leave you take to care for a family member.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
I have never seen or heard of that before. That would suck.

Chasey_Lane said:
I have never seen or heard of that before. That would suck.
Do you get sick leave or personal leave? If you get sick leave, pull you out your handbook and read your company's definition.