Toyota Highlander Hybrid

GopherM

Darwin was right
Anybody have any experience or recommendatons? Getting close to trade time and I am starting my research.

Last edited:
I love my SUV! I've had it for 4 years now and have a hard time convincing myself to drive the car every once in a while.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Is there a reason you want an SUV?

I have a van now and the 7 passanger capability is very handy when hauling the daughter and grandkids around in. I would love to be able to exist with a smaller vehicle and we will often use my wife's smaller car when it is just the two of us. Plus the extra room is good for freight haulin' when I need to make runs to Lowe's or Homo Depot.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I love my SUV! I've had it for 4 years now and have a hard time convincing myself to drive the car every once in a while.

My daughter has had an SUV for about 4 years now and I enjoy driving it, not much different than my van. I am particularly interested in the Hybrid version of the Highlander.

Booboo3604

My daughter has had an SUV for about 4 years now and I enjoy driving it, not much different than my van. I am particularly interested in the Hybrid version of the Highlander.

I myself have looked at the Highlanders as well. However something to think about. Talking to a coworker who bought the highlander a few years ago, she told me that after she got hers her parents went to look at them and were looking at the Hybrid as well. The dealership was actually honest with him and told then if they planned on buying the hybrid version to save money on gas that they should keep in mind that it would take close to 7 years, if not more, for the money saved in gas to justify the increased price for the hybrid version. Just something to think about.

OldHillcrestGuy

I don't have the hybrid, but I love my Highlander, I have had it almost 2 and half years now and absolutely no complaints.:yay:
As kwillia mentioned in earlier post, Im also finding myself having a hard time not driving it to work, I like to switch off which vehicles I take between the Highlander and a S10 pickup to keep my mileage down on the Highlander which just passed 44,000 miles.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I myself have looked at the Highlanders as well. However something to think about. Talking to a coworker who bought the highlander a few years ago, she told me that after she got hers her parents went to look at them and were looking at the Hybrid as well. The dealership was actually honest with him and told then if they planned on buying the hybrid version to save money on gas that they should keep in mind that it would take close to 7 years, if not more, for the money saved in gas to justify the increased price for the hybrid version. Just something to think about.

Yeah...I found a "Green" blog site and there were several Highlander Hybrid owners that were complaining that they got no where near the gas milage advertised, however, the emissions were the prime consideration when they bought.

I knew I wouldn't make up the difference in price in gas savings, but my biggest worry is the cost of eventually replacing the batteries and what that might cost. Didn't know if anyone might have some experience with that aspect yet.

Yeah...I found a "Green" blog site and there were several Highlander Hybrid owners that were complaining that they got no where near the gas milage advertised, however, the emissions were the prime consideration when they bought.

I knew I wouldn't make up the difference in price in gas savings, but my biggest worry is the cost of eventually replacing the batteries and what that might cost. Didn't know if anyone might have some experience with that aspect yet.

If it's anything like the other large hybrids it probably gets 2-3 more mpg. Emmisions would go down proportionally. To me it wouldn't be worth the extra cost and hassel of maintaining a more complex vehicle for so little benifit.