working with a personal trainer and gaining wt

johnson0424

i have been wit my personal trainer now for 10 1 hr sessions of cardio and wt training. I have been doing 35 min of cardio either random fast pace walk on treadmill or running on treadmill/ 1/2 walking. plus upper and lower weight training we do it approx 3 times a week. The problem----i have gained weight i weighed my self on aug 31st and i was 142 and now i am over 150 i dont think that i could have gained that much muscle in that amount of time. My diet has not changed so what gives???? do i need to ramp up the cardio more per week to aid in fat burning??? i am frustrated but have seen more muscles than i have seen in years!!! HELP :::

Angel

~*~*~
i have been wit my personal trainer now for 10 1 hr sessions of cardio and wt training. I have been doing 35 min of cardio either random fast pace walk on treadmill or running on treadmill/ 1/2 walking. plus upper and lower weight training we do it approx 3 times a week. The problem----i have gained weight i weighed my self on aug 31st and i was 142 and now i am over 150 i dont think that i could have gained that much muscle in that amount of time. My diet has not changed so what gives???? do i need to ramp up the cardio more per week to aid in fat burning??? i am frustrated but have seen more muscles than i have seen in years!!! HELP :::

Have you discussed this with your trainer? You said you haven't changed your diet, but is your diet healthy? Are you male/female, have you seen a Doctor (i.e.-if you are female could it be a possible thyroid issue, I don't know if men have the same thyroid issues)? Age is also a factor as it plays a terrible game with our ability to lose weight as we get older.

Tina2001aniT

The simple truth is, you're still consuming more calories than you are burning up with the exercise. You're gonna have to begin counting the calories to get a handle on the situation...

:popcorn:

:shocked: :confused: This post has nothing to do with the mortgage industry or how all of us homeowners are stupid and just throwing our money away :confused: :shocked:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Johnson, I had the same thing happen to me - and I SWEAR I wasn't consuming more calories.

B

Big Fatty

The simple truth is, you're still consuming more calories than you are burning up with the exercise. You're gonna have to begin counting the calories to get a handle on the situation...

:popcorn:

This hits the nail on the head, Johnson. There is no way around the Law of Thermodynamics.
In a month and some change you have gained 8 lbs? My weight can go up or down 8 lbs in a day. A month is not a great timeframe to work with. You have to be super-strict in a month to make real changes. Ask Warnekutz. He can back me up on this one. Unrealistic goals are always doomed to fail.
What you want to see is a trend over a longer timeframe, say 3-6 months. Then you got something.
Also, I assume you are a female. What are your "other" dimensions? I.e. BF%. This number is WAY more important than weight.
You also said, and I quote, "My diet has not changed so what gives????". Therein lies your answer. Change the way you eat.

BTW, your trainer sucks. Get a new one. Just my opinion.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady

Don't feel bad about it. :huggy:

I had my first Dr's appointment in 6 months this week. I had gained 10lbs since my last visit. :faint:

And I'm a vegan. :doh:

And training for a friggin' marathon at the end of this month. :starcat:

Good thing I can waddle fast. :lmao:

gigi6

HI Veg.............

FIRE THE TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously they have NOT been listening to what your goals are or you would be dropping the pounds. You say you are working on a treadmill.....and training for a marathon? I mean - YOU'RE ALREADY RUNNING!!!!!!!!! Yes - weight training is good.... but if you are running a marathon, you DO need your cardio - but a different cardio - not running! Try doing some INTENSE cardio on a bike, elliptical for 45 minutes, followed by weight training - with ACTIVE rest. (i.e.- lat pulls followed by crunches, then back to lat pulls, etc.).

If this is hard to understand - pm me and I can explain more.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
HI Veg.............

FIRE THE TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously they have NOT been listening to what your goals are or you would be dropping the pounds. You say you are working on a treadmill.....and training for a marathon? I mean - YOU'RE ALREADY RUNNING!!!!!!!!! Yes - weight training is good.... but if you are running a marathon, you DO need your cardio - but a different cardio - not running! Try doing some INTENSE cardio on a bike, elliptical for 45 minutes, followed by weight training - with ACTIVE rest. (i.e.- lat pulls followed by crunches, then back to lat pulls, etc.).

If this is hard to understand - pm me and I can explain more.

I think you have my and johnson's posts mushed together there. I'm road runner, doing the MCM on the 28th, and I'm doing it on my own with an online training plan. My only goal has been to finish the darn thing before the truck pulling up the road cones is tailing me. Just didn't think I'd gain, but they do say some types of strenous activity puts your apetite up.

gigi6

I think you have my and johnson's posts mushed together there. I'm road runner, doing the MCM on the 28th, and I'm doing it on my own with an online training plan. My only goal has been to finish the darn thing before the truck pulling up the road cones is tailing me. Just didn't think I'd gain, but they do say some types of strenous activity puts your apetite up.

Oops........my bad! :shortbus:

However - I still say you need to mix it up AND you need to do weights with ACTIVE rest! The other thing is that you need to "clean up" your diet. You should be eating every 3 hours a small meal AND watch those sodas....ESPECIALLY diet sodas - they are very high in sodium and will keep you from losing the extra pounds.

Sorry its so frustrating about losing weight. I wished I had a magic wand...cause I'd use it myself!

morris63

I understand how you feel. I went to a gym in Wildewood a few years back and the trainer told me that I could consumer 2300 calories. I am 5'1" tall and at that time started out at 140. I gained weight also. Yes, muscle is heavier than fat, but a lot of people forget that if you want to lose weight it takes 3500 calories lost to lose (1) pound. My sports doctor told me that I was working out too long and losing energy. I would be starving after every workout. I cut out most white carbs, starting eating more protein and changed gyms. I presently go to an all ladies gym in Leonardtown that monitors my body fat and measures me when every I want. The trainer there told me that fat burning is between 55-75% of your heart rate. At 75% you are fat burning and doing cardiovascular. If your heart rate gets up fast like mine did, I was in the 90-100% heart rate. I was burning muscle - not fat. Fat burning is at a slower pace at a longer duration.

Start keeping track of your heart rate for your age at 55-75%. Do the 10 second count on your wrist or neck. Multiply that by 6. That will give you your exercising heart rate. The ladies fitness center in Leonardtown has charts on the cardio equipment for your age, even on the walls.

I bet, you are working out at a too high of an intensity and your heart rate is getting up too high. Lower the weight that you are lifting and do more reps. More weight is not always the best way to go if you need to lose weight in the beginning. Once you lose the weight then you can increase the weight you are lifting to define.

I have been personally training for two and a half years and it works!! All the women I have trained and have followed my regimen have all lost weight and the inches followed right behind it. It's incredible.

I do not believe paying high dollars for a personal trainer is the best way to go. It is true the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will work. If you want to wait for many months to get those muscles where they want to be before you can start losing the pounds, then that is the route you have chosen.

I think an equal balance of cardio and strength training keeps you motivated longer and you get the results you want quicker.

I hope this has been some help to you. Watch that heart rate of yours. A lot of the co-ed gyms do not monitor you. They show you around and you do whatever you feel like doing. You need to watch that heart rate, carb intake (try to cut it in half), increase your protein and do not workout more than 45 minutes a day. Working out too long can burn muscle up.

Good luck!!!

lovinmaryland

I understand how you feel. I went to a gym in Wildewood a few years back and the trainer told me that I could consumer 2300 calories. I am 5'1" tall and at that time started out at 140. I gained weight also. Yes, muscle is heavier than fat, but a lot of people forget that if you want to lose weight it takes 3500 calories lost to lose (1) pound. My sports doctor told me that I was working out too long and losing energy. I would be starving after every workout. I cut out most white carbs, starting eating more protein and changed gyms. I presently go to an all ladies gym in Leonardtown that monitors my body fat and measures me when every I want. The trainer there told me that fat burning is between 55-75% of your heart rate. At 75% you are fat burning and doing cardiovascular. If your heart rate gets up fast like mine did, I was in the 90-100% heart rate. I was burning muscle - not fat. Fat burning is at a slower pace at a longer duration.

Start keeping track of your heart rate for your age at 55-75%. Do the 10 second count on your wrist or neck. Multiply that by 6. That will give you your exercising heart rate. The ladies fitness center in Leonardtown has charts on the cardio equipment for your age, even on the walls.

I bet, you are working out at a too high of an intensity and your heart rate is getting up too high. Lower the weight that you are lifting and do more reps. More weight is not always the best way to go if you need to lose weight in the beginning. Once you lose the weight then you can increase the weight you are lifting to define.
I have been personally training for two and a half years and it works!! All the women I have trained and have followed my regimen have all lost weight and the inches followed right behind it. It's incredible.

I do not believe paying high dollars for a personal trainer is the best way to go. It is true the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will work. If you want to wait for many months to get those muscles where they want to be before you can start losing the pounds, then that is the route you have chosen.

I think an equal balance of cardio and strength training keeps you motivated longer and you get the results you want quicker.

I hope this has been some help to you. Watch that heart rate of yours. A lot of the co-ed gyms do not monitor you. They show you around and you do whatever you feel like doing. You need to watch that heart rate, carb intake (try to cut it in half), increase your protein and do not workout more than 45 minutes a day. Working out too long can burn muscle up.

Good luck!!!

This post has some really useful information in it. Almost exactly what my trainer has done with me. I only have 10 lbs left to lose of the pregnancy weight i gained :yay:

I do find however that different activities cause my heart rate to go up more though. When I take my spin classes I find that my heart rate is almost always in the anaerobic zone but when I use the elliptical it is in the areobic zone :shrug:

Keep up with it though it takes time :huggy:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

Good luck!!!

I agree there are some good things in your post. I haven't joined a gym since I moved here but I used to go to one twice a week. I have some health issues now but I still do some exercising and I do remember that it is about less weight and more repitition. I also know your posture plays a big role in it (found that our from a neurologist & a physical therapist). When we stand and sit straighter we are putting our muscles in correct alignment to support our stomach and back muscles. Also found out that if you don't breathe correctly when you do your exercises for optimum lung expansion you aren't getting the most benefit so ask your trainer about that too if they haven't mentioned it. I'm not trying to sound like I know it all. Shoot I'm 5'2" and now weigh 127 where I used to be a lot more fit but I try. Can't have everything!