Expos?

What should MLB do with the Montreal Expos?

• Keep them in Montreal.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Move them to Northern Virginia.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Move them to the District of Columbia.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Move them to Puerto Rico.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Contract them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have another idea... (please let us in on it!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Surf City Baby

I think they ought to move the team to Puerto Rico. They've been drawing decent crowds, and I think the territory -- and certainly the city in which the team plays -- would be grateful for the attention, the boost for the local economy, and for their own boys of summer.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Expos...

...has been losing money in Montreal for years and it is a matter of time before they are gone.

Peter Angelos has been fighting for years to make sure no team comes to DC/NoVa.

The marketing people of major league baseball want international expo-sure (I kill myself) and losing presence in Canada (down to just the Blue Jays when they move) means they are pushing for Puerto Rico.

The money people could care less as long as somebody has the dough. There isn't a longstanding big presence group in PR, making it iffy, which helps the cause of the TWO groups in DC (one actually in DC the other would put them in NoVa) who have been trying since the Senators left town (it seems) to get baseball back in (or around) DC.

I voted "stay in Montreal" because baseball no more belongs in Canada than Hockey belongs in Southern Florida and it amuses me to see people doing stupid things and then explaining how it WOULD work if only...x, y and z happened, which of course are impossible. That, plus I love seeing April and early May games in Montreal and all the millionaires who stop playing when it rains or other inconveniences and who all just left warm climate spring training and are playing a double header in...a snow storm.

Baseball (the national pastime, right?) has been asinine for YEARS by not having a team in the NATIONS CAPITAL for cripes sake. Why stop being idiots now? I love the annual explanations as to why it will be another two years or so before they consider DC again.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Expos...

...as in "Expositions". There is a tie in to the worlds fair, or exposition, in Montreal in 1967 known as...Expo '67

Daytona, have no idea. Maybe Puerto Rico? lol

G

giggles04

I said northern Virginia... but it doesn't matter to me... I just think that they need to get out of Montreal

demsformd

I would love to have a team in DC again...national league in DC and AMerican in Baltimore. I also used to root for the Washington Senators and would love to have another Washington Senators.

SmallTown

Football season!
Mixed thoughts on this one. The population in NoVa is definately large enough to support a MLB team. Traffic would be a concern, depending on the location of the park. I do say that the one proposed site in pentagon city would be an incredible visual site for a ballpark. The hustle and bustle of pentagon city and crystal city in the background, and the monuments in DC over the river. Would be spectacular. This is also a good site because of metro access.
Just strange how baseball is supposed to be "america's game", yet we don't have a team in the area of the nations capital.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
ST I disagree with you, where else in the country does a suburban team exist. You don't hear of the Lake County Cubs, or the Fulton County Braves. They should move to DC proper not some smarmy suburban enclave.

SmallTown

Football season!
Our own backyard. The washington redskins are in maryland, not in the district. Or are you just talking baseball stadiums, not pro stadiums in general?

Besides, the area they are proposing around pentagon city is hardly the suburbs.

Last edited:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I think they should go to the district. NOVA wants to have them as their own entity, at least that is what I'm hearing. Which means they would be known as the NOVA Whatevers. Pity there isn't a regional steering committee like in many other urban areas that could develop a plan. I know that several stadiums including the NY teams are outside the city proper, but they originally were in the city.

It's not like there is any lack of space in the city. Tear down a few blighted blocks and put in a new stadium. It would be good for the area.

SmallTown

Football season!
This is the first I've heard about being called anything other than Washington. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I give you...

..the New York Giants...and Jets.

Ha.

I think the Pistons and Lions plays about an hour from the city.

The Ral-John Redskins anyone?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
The NY teams were originally NYC teams, weren't they. They moved at a later date I thought. Being from the midwest I'm not that up on east coast stuff.

The Rangers are known as the TX Rangers, not the Dallas Rangers, even though Arlington is a Dallas suburb.

The naming thing isn't a big deal, I think moving them to the district would help ease some of the urban blight that ruins our nation's capitol. Also having it in the city would allow for use of the metro and easier access to bars and restaurants.