Found this snake in Cedarville State Forrest

MTcowboy

Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is. I dont think it is poisonous, it has round pupils. Kind of looks like a copperhead but i think it is a hognose or something like that. It was sitting right on the trail in front of us. I took a stick and threw it into the woods. When i was getting it on the stick it flattened its head and hissed at us. I normally hate snakes, but i let this one live since i was in his Area and he was not in mine.

snake resized.jpg

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I would say poisonus because of the short stubby body..I really wish you had a top shot of the head...It is hard to say....let me look around some..

bcp

In My Opinion
hog nose. they come in different colors and markings.
a head shot would have been good for ID.

if found in cederville state park, it was not venomous. only two venomous snakes in Maryland. copper head and rattler. that snake was definitely not either one of those.

Attachments

• hognosedsnake9867.jpg
    hognosedsnake9867.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 246
P

pbear175

Nail on the head

hog nose. they come in different colors and markings.
a head shot would have been good for ID.

if found in cederville state park, it was not venomous. only two venomous snakes in Maryland. copper head and rattler. that snake was definitely not either one of those.

Agreed, headshot would be great. I would have guessed hognose because of the behavior, but the picture seals it. I have to say that it's a beautiful little hoggie at that with a gorgeous color and pattern!