Poconos

HappyMOM

Has anyone been to the Poconos? My family is going this winter and I would like to know if there are any travel tips out there. We're going to be staying at an all inclusive resort, but I like to venture out and visit touristy and less well known attractions.

PS: We're taking my daughter who is 1 1/2 years old.

Thanks!

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Has anyone been to the Poconos? My family is going this winter and I would like to know if there are any travel tips out there. We're going to be staying at an all inclusive resort, but I like to venture out and visit touristy and less well known attractions.

Thanks!

What part of the Poconos are you going to? I went about 7 years ago for a NASCAR race, and I wasn't overly impressed with the area. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just got back from a glorious weekend there :yay:

What do you all like to do, and what area will you be in? Do you ski?

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Went to the Poconos for my honeymoon. Stayed at one of the all inclusive resorts. Enjoyed it very much. Ventured into town, I think it was considered town, one day, didnt see much, couple store, ect. If I remember right, your pretty far up there at the resorts. Had more fun staying on the resort lot.

GeezLouise

tired and content....
Went to the Poconos for my honeymoon. Stayed at one of the all inclusive resorts. Enjoyed it very much. Ventured into town, I think it was considered town, one day, didnt see much, couple store, ect. If I remember right, your pretty far up there at the resorts. Had more fun staying on the resort lot.

:yeahthat: We stayed at Pocono Palace for our honeymoon. Not much in the surrounding area, but the resort was nice. I enjoyed it. :shrug:

lil_daisy

I grew up near there. Personally, there isn't much attraction to the Poconos, tourists are mostly from NY- they bring their attitude with them, traffic is terrible on the weekends. It is pretty in the fall, seeing the leaves change- makes it breath taking. Dont' even get it in your head about moving up there, it's the land of broken dreams, and awful school and crime to match it. My forever best friend moved from the area with Hubby and daughter in tow to Arizona. They wanted far, far, far away!

If you want a little out of the way kind of trip, take 80 east cross the Delaware River into NJ, follow 80 east till you see signs for Route 46 Buttzville (yeah I've hard all the jokes). Pass the White Township Elementary school, go a mile or 2 to Hot Dog Johnny's famous hot dog stand. They serve the best hot dogs and birch beer! A playground for your little one too. Behind it is the pequest, often you'll see fishermen. Then behind Hot Dog Johnny's is a town called Belvidere. Just ask any staff at HDJ's, how to get there from the restaurant. It's an old victornian town, you can walk/ride bikes/shop everywhere, there's a town square, too. Google Earth Hot Dog Johnny's, route 46, Buttzville, NJ
or Belvidere, NJ ( yes belvidere is spelled with an I).

enjoy!

cdsulhoff

Thanks!

This is where we are taking the boys skiing this Christmas. We better have good skiing conditions. LOL

We are going to be staying at the great wolf lodge.. Expensive but looks wonderful.

Vince

I grew up near there. Personally, there isn't much attraction to the Poconos, tourists are mostly from NY- they bring their attitude with them, traffic is terrible on the weekends. It is pretty in the fall, seeing the leaves change- makes it breath taking. Dont' even get it in your head about moving up there, it's the land of broken dreams, and awful school and crime to match it. My forever best friend moved from the area with Hubby and daughter in tow to Arizona. They wanted far, far, far away!

If you want a little out of the way kind of trip, take 80 east cross the Delaware River into NJ, follow 80 east till you see signs for Route 46 Buttzville (yeah I've hard all the jokes). Pass the White Township Elementary school, go a mile or 2 to Hot Dog Johnny's famous hot dog stand. They serve the best hot dogs and birch beer! A playground for your little one too. Behind it is the pequest, often you'll see fishermen. Then behind Hot Dog Johnny's is a town called Belvidere. Just ask any staff at HDJ's, how to get there from the restaurant. It's an old victornian town, you can walk/ride bikes/shop everywhere, there's a town square, too. Google Earth Hot Dog Johnny's, route 46, Buttzville, NJ
or Belvidere, NJ ( yes belvidere is spelled with an I).

enjoy!
I grew up in that area too. My Uncle had a summer home near Promise Land Lake in the Poconos. Daisy, Hot Dog Johnny's is good, but go a little further into Phillipsburg/Easton for Jimmy's Hot Dog's. :yum: I could eat six of those things. :yum:

Ponytail

I grew up in that area too. My Uncle had a summer home near Promise Land Lake in the Poconos. Daisy, Hot Dog Johnny's is good, but go a little further into Phillipsburg/Easton for Jimmy's Hot Dog's. :yum: I could eat six of those things. :yum:

My family is in Lake Ariel and Waymart up there. I go up as often as I can. I love it up there!

lil_daisy

you can calso check out the Crayola factory in Easton, PA

Have a bite to eat, a classmate of mine opened a restaurant.

Phillipsburg, NJ-New Jersey Restaurants - The Union Station Grill - Casual Fine Dining he's an awesome chef!

There are apple orchards in Belvidere: Mackey's Orchard off route 519 (it's huge- make their own ice cream and have a baked goods and tons of fresh produce there. playground andwagons for your little one.
and Schneiber's - both are easily accessed from hot Dog johnny's

Hope has lots of quaint places to visit.

I think The Land Of make-Believe is closed this time of year. It's an amusement park and water slide facility, gift shoppe, and a place to see Santa in the summer! It was truelly magical to me as a child. candy cane fields, had a huge pumpkin hay ride- someting to keep in mind for next summer. no visa or mastercard accepted- cash or i think discover is accepted. you can bring your own food to cut down costs.
Welcome to the Land of Make Believe!

take your camera and hiking shoes and have a great time! There are places if you'd like to take a canoe trip too. If you go up without a toddler.