Celiac Disease....

N

nitwhit3286

Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in products we use every day, such as stamp and envelope adhesive, medicines, and vitamins.

Know of anyone who has it? What kind of diet do they have? Actually any info would be good. :yay:

Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in products we use every day, such as stamp and envelope adhesive, medicines, and vitamins.

Know of anyone who has it? What kind of diet do they have? Actually any info would be good. :yay:

There is tons of info available on the internet.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
Learning to Live With Celiac Disease

Gluten-Free Alternates
"In place of wheat pasta, choose potatoes, buckwheat, brown rice, wild rice, or beans," she says. "Parents are always asking about healthy gluten-free snacks to put in their children's lunch box and I usually suggest peanuts and raisins, dried or fresh fruit, a small yogurt or a bag of potato chips for a treat."

Greene also advises parents of children with celiac disease to talk to the school's lunch staff. "Today school dietitians are very familiar with lactose intolerance, diabetes, and other health issues, so they know what it takes and are willing to accommodate special dietary needs without making a big fuss about it," she says. The Celiac Sprue Association web site offers printable letters with specific advice on school issues.

"I also tell parents to tell their child's teacher to let them know if there will be a birthday party or other special snack time in the classroom, so they can send something for their child to eat so he or she won't feel too left out," she says.

N

nitwhit3286

:lol:

Twit, you should search "celiac disease" on the forums. :popcorn:

I was just wondering if anyone had a friend or family member living with the disease.....and what they eat...yes I know they have a gluten free diet. Thanks :)

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I was just wondering if anyone had a friend or family member living with the disease.....and what they eat...yes I know they have a gluten free diet. Thanks :)

I am not sure of the site but this guy I worked with had the disease and ordered most of his food offline.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Put "oats" in to the mix, too, Nit. A quick reference for celiac disease is "B-R-O-W", or barley, rye, oats, and wheat.

Stay away from these items.

Many health-food stores carry gluten free products, as do many latger grocer stores.

Try looking on-line for recipes specially targeted to the gluten-free audience, i.e. a flour-less cake recipe, for instance.

Also, be aware that many other products use b-r-o-w products in their processing. For instance, nuts are often processed with a light dusting of wheat flour to keep the nuts from sticking together. To most people, the wheat sprinkled nuts look totally normal, but to people with celiac disease, the nuts could be very troublesome - and it's not because of a nut allergy, but rather, because of the introduction of flour into their diet.

tazzman

there are books in the local library that are helpful. also there is a special diet support group that meets at St Marys Hospital. They are a big help. Natural food stores carry alot of gluten free products, as well as food lion, mckays and woodburns in solomons.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Put "oats" in to the mix, too, Nit. A quick reference for celiac disease is "B-R-O-W", or barley, rye, oats, and wheat.

Stay away from these items.

Many health-food stores carry gluten free products, as do many latger grocer stores.

Try looking on-line for recipes specially targeted to the gluten-free audience, i.e. a flour-less cake recipe, for instance.

Also, be aware that many other products use b-r-o-w products in their processing. For instance, nuts are often processed with a light dusting of wheat flour to keep the nuts from sticking together. To most people, the wheat sprinkled nuts look totally normal, but to people with celiac disease, the nuts could be very troublesome - and it's not because of a nut allergy, but rather, because of the introduction of flour into their diet.

:browl:

Sorry. I couldn't resist.