I have a question:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you eat a ripe pear as opposed to one that's not so ripe, is it more calories? It's much sweeter, which to me says it has more sugar, which would mean it has more calories.

Right? Or no?

Not that this pertains to me because I don't eat fruit, but I got my Harry and David catalog in the mail today, so it just popped into my head.

MMDad

Lem Putt
pound of bricks/pound of feathers

:yeahthat:

Aren't the carbs stored as starch until they turn to sugars as the fruit ripens?

Remember, sugar is energy. If there is nothing putting energy into the pear after it is picked, it cannot gain more energy. It can only change from one form to another.

tommyjones

If you eat a ripe pear as opposed to one that's not so ripe, is it more calories? It's much sweeter, which to me says it has more sugar, which would mean it has more calories.

Right? Or no?

Not that this pertains to me because I don't eat fruit, but I got my Harry and David catalog in the mail today, so it just popped into my head.

probably sugars converting to starches, still the same calories

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not so...

pound of bricks/pound of feathers

..fast. There is a conversion that occurs within the fruit from one form to another, in this case unripened pear guts to ripened. I think that, yes, there are more calories in a ripe pear. I think you just pass more undigested solid from an unripe pear whereas it is used more by your body ripened. That's why unripe things tend to upset stomachs so much; your body is passing more matter.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Aren't the carbs stored as starch until they turn to sugars as the fruit ripens and then draw fruit flies?

Remember, sugar is energy. If there is nothing putting energy into the pear after it is picked, it cannot gain more energy. It can only change from one form to another.

Pete

Repete

Right? Or no?

No, but if you eat it in the dark it has no calories because you cannot see it. :yay: