Steamed Shrimp

surfer1

I have a big frozen 5lb bag of the jumbo shrimp from the recent Mckays seafood sale and I want to steam them for Thanksgiving. I have gotten in the habit in the past years of letting the stores steam them for me. Now I have to cook them. No problem!!!?? I grabbed the Old Bay can but that recipe calls for boiling!! I think I used to steam them something like I do crabs. Any of you marylanders got any suggestions?? Thanks!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I have a big frozen 5lb bag of the jumbo shrimp from the recent Mckays seafood sale and I want to steam them for Thanksgiving. I have gotten in the habit in the past years of letting the stores steam them for me. Now I have to cook them. No problem!!!?? I grabbed the Old Bay can but that recipe calls for boiling!! I think I used to steam them something like I do crabs. Any of you marylanders got any suggestions?? Thanks!

Do you have a steamer basket that you can use in large pot?

wineo

loving life
Put a steamer basket in bottom of pot, bring to boil add shrimp, old bay and I add pickling spice, steam until pinkish red and shell lifts off some. Should only take about 5 min, no longer then 10.

surfer1

Put a steamer basket in bottom of pot, bring to boil add shrimp, old bay and I add pickling spice, steam until pinkish red and shell lifts off some. Should only take about 5 min, no longer then 10.

The pickling spice sounds like that may be the seasoning Mckays uses. Do you know if it is? I do see dill in it. Where do I get it? Thanks.

wineo

loving life
The pickling spice sounds like that may be the seasoning Mckays uses. Do you know if it is? I do see dill in it. Where do I get it? Thanks.

Pickling spice is in the spice isle in the store, buy one of those folding steamers you can put in the bottom of the pot, they are very inexpensive. Use the Old Bay and Pickling spice, makes it so much better:drool:

greyhound

You can also use "shrimp Boil". It's just like pickling spices. Old bay, JO & McCormick all make shrimp boil. It's in a small box.

Put the shrimp in a steamer. Add old bay & Shrimp boil (the boil will be in a mesh bag, open the bag and dump on top of the shrimp).

greyhound

Now I want steamed shrimp!!!!!! Hubby is out....I wonder if he is in PF, Gotta go & make a phone call....brb

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Shrimp In Beer

2 lbs shrimp, unpeeled
1 med onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs shrimp boil
2 Tbs parsley, chopped
1 bay leaf
celery leaves
1 pt beer (I used Sam Adams)

Saute onion and garlic in oil 2 minutes. Add shrimp and remaining ingredients. Simmer 12 minutes. Let stand 1 - 2 hours. Serve with crusty bread for dipping in sauce.

:drool:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
I just throw the frozen shrimp in a pan, put some beer and old bay and leave it in the pan for 10-15 min stirring occasionally.