Recommend a custom shop

CAE

Hi,

I'm looking for a shop that can do custom metal work.

I'd like to have a fuel tank made from aluminum that goes into the spare tire well on a car I just purchased. I have in mind exactly what I want, but need to talk to someone who can fabricate.

It'd be a pretty complex job due to the odd shape, and I'd like a heat exchanger installed in the tank to heat the fuel with coolant from the engine.

Anyone know a good place that's handy with welding aluminum???

Thanks!

dave1959

Hi,

I'd like to have a fuel tank made from aluminum that goes into the spare tire well on a car I just purchased. I have in mind exactly what I want, but need to talk to someone who can fabricate.

It'd be a pretty complex job due to the odd shape, and I'd like a heat exchanger installed in the tank to heat the fuel with coolant from the engine.

Thanks!

Humor me..... Why would you want to Heat the fuel.???.This is will hurt performance not help it.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Hi,

Thanks!

Try Coffee Hill Welding on Rte 234 in Mechanicsville. They did some custom aluminum work for a buddy of mine and the guys put together some pretty aluminum welds. They should be in the phone book. Or even Three Mules Welding.

CAE

Humor me..... Why would you want to Heat the fuel.???.This is will hurt performance not help it.

It's vegetable oil... you need to get it heated to at least 160 degrees before it behaves like diesel fuel passing through a fuel injector.

Most WVO/SVO (Waste Vegetable Oil/Straight Vegetable Oil) conversion kits include a tank ready to go with a heat exchanger in it already.

Have a look at:

Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

for examples and lots of info.

I've got one in a Mercedes 300 sedan that works like a champ. I just picked up a Mercedes 300 station wagon and don't want to fill the back up with a smelly tank. I could have one made that fits the spare tire well and sticks out a few inches that would leave the back of the car quite usable. I want to put a remote filler on it, so the interior of the car isn't exposed to the oil... sooner or later you're going to spill some and it's not the best smell in the world!

In the sedan, if I spill some it's no big deal, since the tank is in the trunk. But in the wagon, you'd have to live with the smell!

This wagon is mint, and I want to do it right the second time around. I put a Greasecar kit in my first car, and it's good, but now I can assemble the parts and do a little better. I'm sure I can get a 15 gallon tank in that space and have it look pretty normal, but it'll be an odd shape, to be sure!

I've been driving on veg oil for over a year and have 15,000 miles behind me. If you're sick of paying at the pump, you should consider it. I still use dino diesel to start and stop the engine, but just the first and last mile of each trip. The car gets 25 - 30 mpg regardless of what fuel it's burning. But, if you only count the diesel, it usually gets over 120 mpg. During the summer (when the warm temps allow you to be a bit more cavalier) I managed 3,140 miles on 17.1 gallons of diesel -- 183 mpg !!!

A buddy of mine might take it on - contact Jerry at Technical Solutions Inc in LaPlata... he does government GSA but has a fabrication shop on the side - can do some trick custom parts like you are looking for.

He was doing retrofits for armored SUV's for the FBI - he can probably handle an aluminium tank...

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Hi,

Thanks!

Actually stevie pratt in ridge :yay:

Hes on here somewhere I forget his user name. he is an awsome fabricator. JMHO.

Tl might remember his user name.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Riechard Racing over in St. Leonard....PM me if you want the number :yay:

Il second Reichard Racing. Jims my uncle and man the only person that i have seen that can weld like him is my friend buddy who used to work at triton.

ph 410-610-5567
Jim Reichard