Reading

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
My 3 yr old has been asking me every night for two weeks to teach her to read instead of the usual "read me a story." Any suggestions for teaching kids that age the basics of reading?

J

justhangn

:shrug: No different than any other age. :shrug:

She'll actually pick it up easier than when older. Start with what each letter sounds like and go from there.

mrs. katie

I remember teaching my first child how to read...it was absolutely disasterous. But I soon worked out a system of reading a line and then having them repeat it while I point at the words.

K

Kizzy

I taught my oldest to read. I used an old hooked on phonics program and it worked well for me. At age 3, I used flash cards to get my son to recognize letters (sold at almost all dollar stores), than I would hold up the card and get him to tell me what sound the letter makes. I believe in emphasizing phonics and not sight-reading. It is funny now, because my 7 year old will sound out words he doesn’t know phonically, just the way I taught him. I’m glad that most schools have brought back phonics and did away with sight-reading. Also try the wand reader books. I cannot think of the name to save my life. Plus, if you keep your eyes open, you can find tons of software for the computer that teaches phonics and reading readiness. Of course, none of these props have helped my 4-year old the way they did my 7-year old. :bawl:

K

Kain99

I remember IM4! get him "Jump Star Adventures Kindegarten!" Great Computer game that will help you teach him all the basics! Jump Start offers CD's through at least the 6th grade. :smile:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Try letter flash cards to teach sounds and then advanced flash cards that teach site words. My son has a Leap Pad where you can use a pin to follow the words in a book and it's pretty neat but he's not really interested in that too much. I agree with the reading a line and then having the child repeat it, that's how my son learns best (we taught him his bedtime prayers that way and now my 4 year old knows more than the 6 year olds when I used to teach Sunday School).

mainman

Set Trippin
Leap Pad

I picked up leap pad for my little buddy on his 3rd birthday. He absolutly loves it!! It has been a great learning tool for him. You can pick it up locally at walmart or toys r us.. Cheaper at the walmart though.. Good Luck.

mainman

Set Trippin
I also get a real charge watching his expressions and his reactions when he does one of the exercises correctly. This is certainly a tool that will continue to grow with him. I beleive I paid 39.99 for the base unit and got one lesson for free. Standard fees for the lessons I beleive are about 14.99.

K

Kizzy

Thank you TYS, I couldn't think of the name of the wand book to save my life.