piercing tattoos and dyes

Elle

Happy Camper!
At what age will/did you let your child get a piercing or a tattoo or dye their hair? We were talking about it at work the other day and it got me thinking? My son is only 4 but when he is old enough to make a sincere request I think I’ll let him do them all if he wants any time he asks (not that I'd let him get a tatoo at 5 but like 16 sure). And of course I'd remind him that it’s a scar for life (the tattoo and piercing). My office mates couldn’t believe it. I was just wondering if it’s because I’m a young mom that I fell this way or what is the norm?

I’m sorta hypocritical too though; I think they are all very unprofessional so it would depend on the place as well. I have one on my back shoulder and hubby has one on his chest and one on each arm but they are all covered unless we want to show them to someone. And also one of them on my husband’s arm he and a friend did themselves back when he was in school. It looks alright still and at the time he loved it but now wishes it were something different (you know your tastes change) although he doesn’t regret it.

K

Kain99

Every parent is different. In our house, we have a long standing no freaks rule. No purple hair... No insane peircings etc.

It's not that I don't believe in freedom of expression etc. I just feel that it's my job to set high standards for my kids.

A stupid decision now, could cost the kids big time in the future.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I know but like what about blue tips on the top of his hair, or an earring? I consider all of it the same just some are more extreme expressions. Don't get me wrong I will have to approve the requests as he makes them because like I said I think it is all very unprofessional and I do want the best for his future and feel that to a point people do look down on it. But is it wrong to let him do so???

Don't get me wrong I'm not that easy going, my husband and I love to walk the mall and look at the alternative style kids. We love talk about how we would handle when he brings home certian looking friends and even better yet girlfriends. I hope and pray that I never have to deal with this but if it ever did come up I'd like to say I've tought about it for 10 years and here's my decision.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
no freaks rule.
Kain and I agree on something. :yikes: j/k :lol:

Thank God my sons never wanted to pierce their ears or dye their hair. My daughter started with Sun-in during her mid teens and tried the kool-aid dye streaks a few times (in the summer). She eventually came to her senses.

Seeing kid freaks with the wild hair and piercings always gives me a good laugh! One holiday my step-daughter's husband showed up with a lip piercing w/ a chain attached to his cheek. It was hilarious! :lmao: We didn't hold back either. It also got horribly infected later.

Seeing elementary age kids dressed like freaks makes me wonder WTH is wrong with the parents. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. I haven't assimilated to the NWO yet; it's doubtful I ever will. They're your kids - do with them what you feel is best. :yay:

G

giggles04

My mom let me pierce my ears when I was in grade school... but she seriously would not let me dye my hair until after I graduated from high school.... said it would screw up my pictures!!!
Still haven't gotten that tattoo yet

SxyPrincess

I was about 2 when I got my ears pierced, but I'm a girl. I was 13 when I first colored my hair, and 18 when I got my first tattoo and tongue piercing.

My sister is 15, and has her belly pierced. It was a b-day present from Mom last year.

My brother who is 16, got his first piercing several years ago when it was the "in" thing. He still wears a diamond stud, or small hoop.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well-
I got my ears pierced when I was in 5th grade, after much procrastination on my part. U first dyed my hair when I was 17. That was a disaster. Soon learned after that, I should stick to red or bleaching. LOL (tried dying it brown...and it looked green against my hair)

but honestly- I dont see anything wrong with an ear piercing...but...I dont think you should pierce a baby's ears.....since they should have some say in the matter (it is their body afterall) But- otherwise, tattoo's and such.. I would freak.. but if they did it after they were outta my household...that is on them.. I still wouldnt like it...but.. they did it.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by tys_mommy
I know but like what about blue tips on the top of his hair, or an earring? I consider all of it the same just some are more extreme expressions. Don't get me wrong I will have to approve the requests as he makes them because like I said I think it is all very unprofessional and I do want the best for his future and feel that to a point people do look down on it. But is it wrong to let him do so???

Don't get me wrong I'm not that easy going, my husband and I love to walk the mall and look at the alternative style kids. We love talk about how we would handle when he brings home certian looking friends and even better yet girlfriends. I hope and pray that I never have to deal with this but if it ever did come up I'd like to say I've tought about it for 10 years and here's my decision.

I don't think you're wrong for doing so at all. When my daughter reaches a certain age, I'll let her experience with things such as these.

I've seen lots of "punk" kids who just like being and looking different. Most people don't like change and look down upon it, but I see nothing wrong with it. Just b/c one looks a certain way (i.e. green hair, piercings, tats, etc.) most people stereotype, anyway.

I don't worry about people looking down on my daughter's "expressions", nor my own. I got my nose pierced a few weeks back and haven't been treated differently or less professional. I don't see what the big deal is.:shrug:

Think about it like this...would you rather have your son date a girl with pink hair and peircings who's got a pretty good head on her shoulders, or a prom queen who's on crack?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!! (Well, some of you, anyway) My daughter got her belly button pierced for her 16th birthday. I didn't care if the 8 year old she babysits for got one - we, too, have a "no freaks" rule. My son never showed an interest in getting his ear pierced, let alone anything else. He just recently got a tattoo (he's 20). The daughters wouldn't DARE ask to have some weird facial piercing - we'd kill them. If they want to self- mutilate, they have to wait until they're 18.

Em, there's no such thing as a self-mutilator with a good head on their shoulders.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by vraiblonde
YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!! (Well, some of you, anyway) My daughter got her belly button pierced for her 16th birthday. I didn't care if the 8 year old she babysits for got one - we, too, have a "no freaks" rule. My son never showed an interest in getting his ear pierced, let alone anything else. He just recently got a tattoo (he's 20). The daughters wouldn't DARE ask to have some weird facial piercing - we'd kill them. If they want to self- mutilate, they have to wait until they're 18.

Em, there's no such thing as a self-mutilator with a good head on their shoulders.

So, what's the difference between a tat and a piercing? Piercings can go away, but a tat is with you forever unless you elect to have the ever so expesive laser surgery. How's a tat not self mutilation, but a piercing is? What's the difference between a piercing on the belly button, rather than the nose, ears or elsewhere? It's a hole all the same?? How do you define a self-mutilator, vrai?

Elle

Happy Camper!

So since i have a tatoo I guess I shouldn't have graduated in the top 5% of my class????? Or have a decent job?????

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by ememdee19
How do you define a self-mutilator, vrai?
If they have a piercing or tat that I think is ugly, they're a self-mutilator. :lol:

Tattoos can be tasteful - I have one on my left shoulder blade. But then you get some of these people that have TATTOOS - like big enormous ones that cover a good portion of their body. Or these tacky chicks that have their arms COVERED with tattoos, then get pissed at you when you look at them - "What are YOU looking at?"

Little pink or turquoise highlights or tips are cute. A full head of hot pink mohawk is tacky.

A small nose ring is cute. A bellybutton piercing is cute. I can even get past an eyebrow ring if it's small. But having every square inch of your face pierced is tacky. Tongue piercings are tacky, no matter how small the stud.

Anything women pierce to enhance the sexual pleasure of some guy is tacky - and sad.

Genital mutilation - guh. Always tacky.

So there's my criteria. Piercings and tats should embellish the rose, not become the focal point. As my grandmother would say, less is more. :cheesy:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
But having every square inch of your face pierced is tacky.

Attachments

• do you like.jpg
    do you like.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 137

Elle

Happy Camper!
I see and actually agree. I'm just crossing my fingers that I raise him to be like me and know the limits!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See? PERFECT example of a self-mutilator! This guy (girl?) probably thinks he looks great.

Anyway, kids don't have the best judgement in the world so it's best if they don't get to decide what gets tattooed or pierced. No one ever died because they had to wait until 18 to get a tat or piercing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Amen...

Anyway, kids don't have the best judgement in the world so it's best if they don't get to decide what gets tattooed or pierced. No one ever died because they had to wait until 18 to get a tat or piercing.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
If they have a piercing or tat that I think is ugly, they're a self-mutilator. :lol:

Tattoos can be tasteful - I have one on my left shoulder blade. But then you get some of these people that have TATTOOS - like big enormous ones that cover a good portion of their body. Or these tacky chicks that have their arms COVERED with tattoos, then get pissed at you when you look at them - "What are YOU looking at?"

Little pink or turquoise highlights or tips are cute. A full head of hot pink mohawk is tacky.

A small nose ring is cute. A bellybutton piercing is cute. I can even get past an eyebrow ring if it's small. But having every square inch of your face pierced is tacky. Tongue piercings are tacky, no matter how small the stud.

Anything women pierce to enhance the sexual pleasure of some guy is tacky - and sad.

Genital mutilation - guh. Always tacky.

So there's my criteria. Piercings and tats should embellish the rose, not become the focal point. As my grandmother would say, less is more. :cheesy:

I can see your point, vrai. The pic that RR posted is what I would call a self-mutilator and a little overboard, but that's JMHO. I guess to each his own has always been my motto. It's not my body, so they can do as they please.

On the other hand, I guess it's just a personal preference as to what you like. My hubby has about 8 or 9 tats and I'd personally like for him to get full sleeves on both arms. Not everybody will agree that they like it, but both of us do, and that's all that matters. He's a pretty intelligent, hard-working guy no less. Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit in there JIC you thought I was married to a crazed lunatic!:biggrin: