Casting Project

Anyone have experience with casting or interested in taking on a project? We have a piece of aluminum about 8 x 6 inches that we would like to create a cast of, then create a TBD number of duplicates for mountable show pieces. We've never done it, and probably don't have the right stuff on hand to attempt it.

If you don't want to actually assist, but could provide hints/tips/pointers, that would be appreciated.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Anyone have experience with casting or interested in taking on a project? We have a piece of aluminum about 8 x 6 inches that we would like to create a cast of, then create a TBD number of duplicates for mountable show pieces. We've never done it, and probably don't have the right stuff on hand to attempt it.

If you don't want to actually assist, but could provide hints/tips/pointers, that would be appreciated.

I can provide some input. Even have some gear you can use. Crucibles, propane torch, propane pressure gauge and line, and some protective gear I think. Don't have my copes/drags any more but I can tell/show you how to build them.

TheAlmightyZues

I can provide some input. Even have some gear you can use. Crucibles, propane torch, propane pressure gauge and line, and some protective gear I think. Don't have my copes/drags any more but I can tell/show you how to build them.

This post has been reported to the FBI

That would be great. I'm not actually doing it, a coworker is, but thought I might find some help here.

Building the molds is probably the biggest challenge.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
That would be great. I'm not actually doing it, a coworker is, but thought I might find some help here.

Building the molds is probably the biggest challenge.

DEFINITELY.

I used pine boards for the cope/drag and sealed them with epoxy mixed with sand to give the molding sand a little more surface area to stick to on the sides. When I first started I used play ground sand mixed with clay, and baby powder as parting dust. Later a fellow enthusiast gave me some molding sand (called green sand). Holy ####, BIG difference in the quality of the surface of the parts.

For patterns I used thin (1/4") plywood cut and laminated together in layers to build up complex shapes. Body putty to fillet corners and painted to seal the wood so the patterns were reuseable in the molds.