Laptops

H

Heretic

Anyone out there have any opinions on the following Laptops

HP

Toshiba

I had always heard good things about Toshiba, however I saw one of the models at Circuit City that had keys falling off. It could be just because it was a floor unit, but still.

Im still not sure if I want a laptop or a new desktop and I also am looking hard at the Dell Inspiron 1100.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
I bought a Toshiba about 1 1/2 years ago...can't say enough good about it. Have had zero troubles. I carry it around in a backpack & treat it kinda roughly and no falling keys yet.

G

giggles04

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100... and I just love that laptop!:biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I have a Toshiba Satellite for work... love it...
Make sure you get a floppy drive though... mine didn't have one and had to go back and order a USB drive.

Taz

My traveling laptop is a Toshiba I bought years ago. It is a Pentium, 300 Mhz. I did increase the memory which was 32M, it now has 288M. Only has a 20G HD. I wanted to replace it years ago, but I promised wife I would keep it until it died. Since I bought it I have probably flown 200,000 miles with it and it WILL NOT DIE! It still has the original battery that is still working fine. It has one USB port (1.0), an infrared port and a floppy drive. Modem is a 56K PCMIA card and I bought a network PCMIA card ($40) and a USB hub ($29). It is still running fine and since everything else I have at home is USB, I can hook it to anything.

I would go with the Toshiba.

Makavide

Not too talkative
I use a Dell Latitude with docking station at work. It works great. I have never had any problems with it (for the last two years). Where as the majority of the desk tops I have used over the years ussualy develop some sort of glitch every six months or so. On my next computer purchase for the home it will be a laptop, with wireless modem, so I can do my surfing out on the deck.

mainman

Set Trippin
If you are mechanically inclined. Build your own. You could hand pick all of the componants Spend about $1000-$1200. You would end up with a system that would retail about $2000.

The units from dell and gateway and places like that are ok at best. The upgradability of HP is sh!t. The most yoiu are getting from them is a processor, P4. Everything else is watered down generic inferior equipment. From the motherboard to the case & fan....

Just something to chew on.

I just completed building one for myself for about 1K.
I know its not as difficult when you do it for a living, but its not that hard.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Heretic
Im still not sure if I want a laptop or a new desktop and I also am looking hard at the Dell Inspiron 1100.

Well you stated you werent sure so I was offering you an opinion on this. Excuse me...

Sounds to me you don't know what you want....

mainman

Set Trippin
Just trying to help. No sweat off my behind. Get yourself one of those circuit city specials.... Maybe when something goes wrong with it and you send it away to get fixed, you might have it back in 2 to 3 weeks.
Oh, and that can't read thing. That was a Good One. yeah

RodRugg

I don't know much about it but my dad bought a laptop computer at the swap meet and it started with a "T" and it was Toshiba or Trifecta or something. I would say stay away from that. My dad hated that computer and wasn't afraid to show it (except when my grandma was around because she hates all computers and doesn't allow them in the house). Anyways my dad finally threw it at the neighbor's house and exploded it into toothpicks. My dad said that computer was slow and always locked him up or whatever. "HP" probably stands for "high power" so I would definitely go with that one.

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by RodRugg
I don't know much about it but my dad bought a laptop computer at the swap meet and it started with a "T" and it was Toshiba or Trifecta or something. I would say stay away from that. My dad hated that computer and wasn't afraid to show it (except when my grandma was around because she hates all computers and doesn't allow them in the house). Anyways my dad finally threw it at the neighbor's house and exploded it into toothpicks. My dad said that computer was slow and always locked him up or whatever. "HP" probably stands for "high power" so I would definitely go with that one.

:lmao: :roflmao: :thewave:

LPMEDIC

Doin the duty for you....
Originally posted by Kyle
Dell Inspiron 8100 :yay:

I agree and give my Dell 8100 a :yay: :yay: . It's a little heavier than other laptops but it packs a punch and can do everything just as fast as my Desktop.

SxyPrincess

Re: Re: Re: laptops...

Originally posted by kwillia
Funny.... you and cheap lap dances were both part of the :gossip: I just received in PM...:bubble:
That's only because everyone know's how I can work it...:bubble: