Kitchen Knives

Gwydion

I graduated from college about a year and a half ago, and when I moved into my apartment, I caried all my old college crap with me, meaning the complete 27 cookware set from target that I bought for like $40. Since I started making some nice money now, I began upgrading all the pots and pans to the Calphalon anodized set. With the completion of that set coming up, I wanted next to focus on getting some nice kitchen knives.
I'm looking to get a block set, but don't know the first thing about brands. Does anybody know anything about knives?

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
FWIW - Consumer Reports

Top Performance:

Wüsthof Trident Classic #841, $300
Henckels Twin Professional "S," $260

For Value:

Chicago Cutlery Metropolitan, $60, CR Best Buy
Oxo Good Grips Professional, $100 CR Best Buy

verucasalt

I know it's a little ghey, but I have the miracle blades (infomercial) and They work very well! I think they were around $100 for the whole set.. steak knives (8), carving knoves (2), ginsu (SP?) (1), Chopping (1), pearing (1) and
another larger one not sure what to call it. I hope this helps some!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Wusthof is the best but darned expensive. Until I can afford them, I bought a nice set of KitchenAid knives from Target for about $70 on sale.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
I have a set made by Cold Steel. They perform beautifully. Only downside is that any metal blade that keeps an edge is made from a steel with a high carbon content and can't be put in the dishwasher or left in the sink.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Don't trust the "Never need sharpening" claim, and be leery of lower cost brand name knives. I have a set of inexpensive Henkels "Never Sharpen, serrated" knives that are just barely serviceable. They were given to us as a gift but I'd much rather have the Wustof's. If you prepare a lot of foods, then you really need good sturdy knives that can hold and edge. The only flexible knife you should have should be a filet knife.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I like my Kitchenaid Knifes!!!!!!!! 'Don't want any other.

I've only had them a couple of months but really like them, especially considering how relatively inexpensive they were compared to the Wusthof set I want. The only problem is the set came with a bonus Santoku knife that doesn't fit in the block but if I get the koosh knife block like Vrai has, that won't be a problem any more. :biggrin:

This is the set I got.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have a set made by Cold Steel. They perform beautifully. Only downside is that any metal blade that keeps an edge is made from a steel with a high carbon content and can't be put in the dishwasher or left in the sink.

I've heard that you shouldn't put knives in the dishwasher at all because it dulls them. I put everything in the dishwasher.

Don't get serrated knives if you want to be able to sharpen them, unless it is a bread knife. All other knives should be straight blades so you can sharpen them. Like Chain said, the higher the carbon content, the sharper you can get them and the longer they will hold the edge. Weight can also be used as an indication of quality. Usually, if the knife is light weight, it is not going to be as good as a heavier knife.