Authentic Austrian Strudel

jney

homemade??

I do have a recipe direct from Vienna for some great strudel. Are you good at baking??

belvak

Happy Camper
Everytime I catch a glimpse of the title of this tread I somehow see it as "Autistic Strudel". :lmao: Then I just get the giggles at how stupid that sounds!! Weird, huh? Hope you find your strudel or a good recipe!!

EmnJoe

nunya bidnis
Everytime I catch a glimpse of the title of this tread I somehow see it as "Autistic Strudel". :lmao: Then I just get the giggles at how stupid that sounds!! Weird, huh? Hope you find your strudel or a good recipe!!
:yeahthat: I did the same thing.:killingme

jney

strudel recipe

(You will have to look in the back of a cookbook or 'google' as it is in metric measurements)
250g flour, 2 g salt, 50g egg, 100g lukewarm water, 20g oil
Mix all ingredients to a soft dough and knead it until it looses from hands and table (tip: form it to a ball and let it rest in vegetable oil for 30 minutes.) Put the dough on a flour covered linen cloth and roll it in a rectangular shape. Extend it on the back of your hands to a waferthin layer.
Put the filling (to follow) in the extended layer of dough, cut off the thick ends and roll it carefully with the cloth. Put the strudel onto a buttered baking tray and bake it in the oven at 190 degree (C remember) until it takes on a gold-brown shine. (tip: put butter on the strudel as soon as you take it out of the oven).

Butter breadcrumbs: 100g butter-breadcrumbs, 50g butter
Heat the butter in the pan, add the breadcrumbs and roast them to golden brown.
Cinnamon sugar: 140g sugar, 10g cinnamon: mix the ingredients
Filling:
150g butter-breadcrumbs, 150g cinnamon sugar, 170g raisins, 10g lemon juice, 1100 g peeled sour apples (cored and sliced w/a shot of rum). Mix all ingredients well.

Pete

Repete
My grandma and mom make awesome strudel. Every 5 years or so I make it but it is a giant PITA. I remember my grandma and aunts all standing around the table with a special oiled tablecloth she had stretching dough and cussing when it ripped. :lol: