Eastern vs western Caribbean Cruises

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
Any input on which area is better tp cruise? From what I've read the Eastern is more beachy island-resort ish and Western is more historic, hiking, outdoors-ish.. Anyone been to one or the other and have a pref?
Thanks!

SamSpade

Any input on which area is better tp cruise? From what I've read the Eastern is more beachy island-resort ish and Western is more historic, hiking, outdoors-ish.. Anyone been to one or the other and have a pref?
Thanks!

Really depends on which islands you go to, and I'd use that as my criteria. I've done Eastern Caribbean, and my friends who've gone Western Caribbean all tell me about the stuff I've missed. I think I'd have seen more if I'd learned more about the places we were going ahead of time - and booked our own excursions rather than go with the cruise tours.

Bavarian

Western Carribean takes you to the Mexican Pyramids. More active. If you are going mainly for beaches Eastern better. Both stop at duty free islands for Christmas shopping.
Much depends on the cruise line. Some are geared for party whereas others are more serious, better food, better tours.

Last edited:

Elle

Happy Camper!
We did western - Cozumel & Costa Maya in Mexico, Freeport Bahamas then 2 FL stops. I'd rather do Eastern if we take another cruise but we liked the convenience of sailing out of Baltimore. We had an 8 y/o with us so we were limited on our excursions
Cozumel - dune buggy island tour, snorkel, beach break - ship excursion
Costa Maya - Chacchoben Ruins Tour through amazing company found through online cruise forum - highly recommend this for anyone in that area
Freeport - swim with dolphins - ship excursion
Canaveral - space stuff & beach area
Key West - self guided walking tour with trolley tourist ride

awpitt

Main Streeter
Thanks!
We're set for a Western during spring break in March. Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Georgetwon, Cayman Is; and Cozumel Mex. Anyone been already? if so any suggestions?

oldman

Lobster Land
I've been on them all and have nothing negative to say. Some may be better than others but that is not to say they all don't have their good points. I took the cruise ship tour and then went back to those places I thought were interesting. Heck, you're on vacation so go explore.