Kombucha Tea

EvilDruidTalena

:blushing: I was listening to some SOAD and they were talking about Kombucha Tea... has anyone ever tried it? And if so, what does it taste like? Scrumpdumpliumptious? Rancid? Horrific? I WANNA KNOW!!! :cheesy:

B

BootCampGirl

Kombucha Tea....like in the macrobiotic diet?

If it's the same tea in the macrobiotic diet, I think it is also called "bancha twig tea" and I have tried that. I found it at Good Earth" in Leonardtown and that oriental market next to the tanning place on route 5 next to the flat iron road/indian bridge road intersection. It tastes okay. Just tastes like tea.

H

Heretic

Ever notics SOAD almost always sings about some kinda food?

SOMDGrandpa

I brew Kombucha Tea

:blushing: I was listening to some SOAD and they were talking about Kombucha Tea... has anyone ever tried it? And if so, what does it taste like? Scrumpdumpliumptious? Rancid? Horrific? I WANNA KNOW!!! :cheesy:

Yes, I've been a K-Tea drinker for about four months, and now brew my own from filtered water, Lipton teabags (both black and green), granulated sugar, and the essential SCOBY. I used to buy my Kombucha Tea (G.T.'s) from Country Nutrition in Old Line Center (Waldorf), but recently they've begun selling it at Safeway. In both cases, it's still too expensive for my tastes. I drink 1-2 bottles a day, and I'm no doctor, but it clears my skin up beautifully!

If you're serious about brewing your own and saving a ton of $$, look at some of the great YouTube videos on brewing Kombucha at home, and if you need a SCOBY, let me know. I have plenty.

Blessings!

SOMDGrandpa

Now as to the TASTE, it has a taste reminiscent of apple cider vinegar, but I add such things as peach, pineapple, berry, ginger, mango, and just about any juice, to help with the flavor. BONUS: K-Tea is naturally effervescent, and if you add juice and let it sit for a couple days, it's wonderfully fizzy!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Is Kombucha tea different than the bottled Kombucha with the gunk at the bottom? Because that stuff tastes like fermented ass.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Is Kombucha tea different than the bottled Kombucha with the gunk at the bottom? Because that stuff tastes like fermented ass.

seriously. I tried the bottled kind and it was the most god-awful terrible tasting thing I have ever put in my mouth. Its horrible, yeasty, and ass-y. :barf:

SOMDGrandpa

Homemade vs. store-bought kombucha

Now as to the TASTE, it has a taste reminiscent of apple cider vinegar, but I add such things as peach, pineapple, berry, ginger, mango, and just about any juice, to help with the flavor. BONUS: K-Tea is naturally effervescent, and if you add juice and let it sit for a couple days, it's wonderfully fizzy!

I agree, the store-bought K-tea does have a "bite" to it, but I don't drink it for the flavor. It cleared my skin in a way no doctor could, with their steroid creams.

The flavor of kombucha can vary tremendously, depending on a number of factors:
- You can brew it for as little as five days and as long as a couple months. The longer you brew it, the less sugar remains and the more "vinegar-y" it tastes. Store-bought K-tea has less sugar, while I bottle mine early, leaving it more sweet tasting.
- You can use black tea, green tea, or a combination of the two. My typical gallon batch uses 4 black and 2 green tea bags. You can also vary the strength, by using more or fewer teabags in each batch.
- You can flavor it or not, depending on preference. Non-flavored tea tastes like iced tea with cider vinegar in it. I almost always add juice and/or crystallized ginger to mine.

So yes, if you're looking at kombucha as an alternative to soda for example, it's tough to make the comparison based on flavor. But I gave it a try and was very pleasantly surprised with the benefits. And because it was too expensive to buy, I brew my own.

SOMDGrandpa

Moving to Food And Nutrition forum

Hey everybody. I just realized I've been posting to a thread in Consumer & Financial Affairs. I'm moving to the Food and Nutrition forum which is more appropriate for this type of discussion.

See you there!