CB Radio: Anyone talk on them still?

SoMdmMusician

I am an old CB'er from days gone by and I used to spend a lot of time on the radio. I also had my own CB/Scanner repair business, and I got out of it completely about 7 years ago.

I'm curious to know if there is still anyone using the service. I'm also interested in knowing if anyone has a nice 10meter unit they want to sell, or maybe a nice unit like a Cobra 148GTL or even a Cobra 29LTD.

I'd like to find an older model, since those can be "worked", these new unit come with a few less screws.

T

toppick08

I am an old CB'er from days gone by and I used to spend a lot of time on the radio. I also had my own CB/Scanner repair business, and I got out of it completely about 7 years ago.

I'm curious to know if there is still anyone using the service. I'm also interested in knowing if anyone has a nice 10meter unit they want to sell, or maybe a nice unit like a Cobra 148GTL or even a Cobra 29LTD.

I'd like to find an older model, since those can be "worked", these new unit come with a few less screws.

I think mainly truckers are the only one who use them now, cell phones rule the "4 wheelers" now.............:howdy:

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!

Remember the old Bearcat? Ah, that and a Lolly Pop microphone - what a life!:lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bikers are big on CB's for group rides and just maintaining contact on longer rides with 2 or more people.

Some use FRS radios, but it seems the GoldWIng crowd, and other LD riders still use CB radios.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Maryland Rover and the X was Mother Goose.:lmao:

You should have brought your 'handle' over to the web.. your user name etc..

Others like you have turned to the internet to replace their CB days, and what a cool way to find someone you may have talked to years ago on the CB..

greyhound

My CB days took place in PG County. Heck, I didn't even know heaven was down here in St. Mary's County!

We knew quite a few CBer's from PG. The washington Post did a story about a Maryland trooper. They rode along with him one night in PG county and had a transcript of my Dad's conversation with him on the CB.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
You should have brought your 'handle' over to the web.. your user name etc..

Others like you have turned to the internet to replace their CB days, and what a cool way to find someone you may have talked to years ago on the CB..

Never gave that a thought. That would have been great. Oh well, tooooooo late now.:lmao:

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
We knew quite a few CBer's from PG. The washington Post did a story about a Maryland trooper. They rode along with him one night in PG county and had a transcript of my Dad's conversation with him on the CB.

I bet the State Trooper also had a CB and handle...:lmao:

greyhound

Did you ever go to the CB Jamboree's? We used to attend the ones at the Charles county fair grounds and Manasas, Va. Everyone would bring campers and stay all weekend. The funniest thing i remember was they both had a contest for the kids...The dirtiest feet contest.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Did you ever go to the CB Jamboree's? We used to attend the ones at the Charles county fair grounds and Manasas, Va. Everyone would bring campers and stay all weekend. The funniest thing i remember was they both had a contest for the kids...The dirtiest feet contest.

Oh yea - bought a bunch of stuff I didn't need.:killingme

A bunch of us would meet every Saturday for breakfast. Heck, we even had cards made up and we would swap them. It was a lot of fun.

greyhound

Oh yea - bought a bunch of stuff I didn't need.:killingme

A bunch of us would meet every Saturday for breakfast. Heck, we even had cards made up and we would swap them. It was a lot of fun.

Were they called QSL cards. If you talked skip illegal. You could be fined for each card you had. The FBI was really cracking down during the late 70's early 80's.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Were they called QSL cards. If you talked skip illegal. You could be fined for each card you had. The FBI was really cracking down during the late 70's early 80's.

Yes, they were QSL cards but not the ones we used when running skip.:lmao:

We had a few friends caught by the FCC - but they were running major amplifiers (1KBs). Most of us "small fries" were able to boost our CB from 4 to maybe 10 watts (on a good) day.:lmao: